PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop, GIMP or other?

Clark80
Jan 21, 2011, 06:39 AM
Hi, new to developing for iPhone.

Which software is best to create graphics, icons etc.

Thanks

miles01110
Jan 21, 2011, 06:41 AM
There is no "best" software suite. Photoshop is more or less the industry standard, but it's costly.

robbieduncan
Jan 21, 2011, 06:41 AM
The software is not nearly as important as your skill and creativity. If you want a professional looking app and are not a professional designer it might be best to hire one.

MonkeySee....
Jan 21, 2011, 06:42 AM
Hi, new to developing for iPhone.

Which software is best to create graphics, icons etc.

Thanks

Gimp is pretty difficult to use personally. Photoshop is great but expensive.

Give this a go ;)

http://pixlr.com/editor/

Clark80
Jan 21, 2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks all.

This is more of hobby - so I'd rather not hire anyone and just learn as I go along. :)

ulbador
Jan 21, 2011, 09:05 AM
I used Gimp to make the graphics for my iPhone game. It worked great for me.

A great artist could use MS Paint to make a decent looking image. On the other hand, I could spend the money for a full-blown Photoshop install and still only be able to draw stick figures.

Clark80
Jan 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
I used Gimp to make the graphics for my iPhone game. It worked great for me.

A great artist could use MS Paint to make a decent looking image. On the other hand, I could spend the money for a full-blown Photoshop install and still only be able to draw stick figures.

Excellent point.

What I was trying to say but didn't: From a compatability point of view which is best? Which version supports the file extensions I need to be able to develop for iPhone e.g. png etc

And ... which has iPhone ready plug ins, images etc

firewood
Jan 24, 2011, 01:33 PM
I use GIMP for my free/hobby apps, but I'm not a professional artist where time is money. My artwork subcontractors can get stuff done over 10X faster plus better using Photoshop.

ulbador
Jan 24, 2011, 01:46 PM
I use GIMP for my free/hobby apps, but I'm not a professional artist where time is money. My artwork subcontractors can get stuff done over 10X faster plus better using Photoshop.

I think this is partially because Photoshop is pretty much the defacto standard, so it is what these people use and learned with. Gimp, while it works and is effective, has a completely different layout than Photoshop (something many people have complained about over the years).

Clark80
Jan 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
Gimp is pretty difficult to use personally. Photoshop is great but expensive.

Give this a go ;)

http://pixlr.com/editor/

This is actually pretty cool