Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I think this is all the proof we need that the Mayan calendar has indeed been miscalculated. The world will end at the stroke of midnight on May 2nd 2011. Bugger.

:apple:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Does anyone really care anymore? How many people actually played the original? I would bet that a huge cross section of gamers today have never heard of Duke Nuk'em or have never played it.

I was always looking forward to it; I had DN3D on pre-order so many years ago and played it extensively with co-workers. Great game for multiplayer and the original game had a great story. But today, they have to pull a major game changer to really make it nothing more then another "me-too" 3D shooter type game. I seriously doubt it will be any good.

Can anyone say Daikatata (sp?), and the wonderful marketing, "Jon Carmak is going to make you his bitch." Yeah, that worked well. Games that have been hyped for so long and then finally made it out, rarely are any good, in fact 99% of the time they just downright suck.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
No and Yes.

Does anyone really care anymore?
Not me, particularly. If it's a fun game I'll buy it. There are lots of first person shooters, each with their own universe (or genre). You've got fantasy, horror, WWII, space, science fiction dystopias, etc. There's plenty of room for a FPS in the "wise-cracking lone-wolf renegade" genre.

How many people actually played the original?
Well, there's me, so that's at least one.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I had a paper round to pay for this back in 1998 :D.

Yea I can't wait. I'm sure the game won't be great but I'll love it nonetheless. Duke games are about the character, the b-movie plot and the great music. I don't doubt for a second that Duke Forever will lack those things... I just don't expect something as complex as Half Life 2, or with a multiplayer as good as TF2 or L4D.

I was 11 when I played the original... still do from time to time. And finally at 25 I can play the sequel :D.

Switchback

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2011
hell yeah! finally!
trailer is awesome
and as for the game itself - after all this time it better be good

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Does anyone really care anymore? How many people actually played the original? I would bet that a huge cross section of gamers today have never heard of Duke Nuk'em or have never played it.

I was always looking forward to it; I had DN3D on pre-order so many years ago and played it extensively with co-workers. Great game for multiplayer and the original game had a great story. But today, they have to pull a major game changer to really make it nothing more then another "me-too" 3D shooter type game. I seriously doubt it will be any good.

Can anyone say Daikatata (sp?), and the wonderful marketing, "Jon Carmak is going to make you his bitch." Yeah, that worked well. Games that have been hyped for so long and then finally made it out, rarely are any good, in fact 99% of the time they just downright suck.

So... what about Starcraft 2? That was 12 years. I remember seeing ads for SC2 on the back of... Half Life? I can't remember where, but on the back of some game I purchased shortly after SC1. But was that a flop? and to future proof your comment... what about Diablo 3?

Although I agree they shouldn't take SO LONG. And I am not saying this game will be any good. In fact, according to the appalling content I have seen in the trailers, I will happily let my beta code sit unused.

Developers are allowed to do whatever they want in short. DNF's advertising is basically this joke that it is going to take forever... lame yes. But who are you? 1 consumer.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I didn't play the original, but I did play DN3D. Absolutely loved both single player and multiplayer.

I'll buy in if reviews are 75% or better. What I won't do is blind buy on day 1.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
I dunno... the trailer left me cold, like watching an Andrew Dice Clay comeback tour.

What was funny because of 3D's crudeness now just feels crude in Forever.

That said, I'm sure it'll sell gazillions solely through the "omigod it exists!" factor.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
What I loved about Duke was the over-the-top attitude and if that trailer is anything to go by it's still there. Even if the game play isn't anything to write home about I'll still have fun playing it.

Lethal

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
daikatana started development _10 days before_ duke nukem forever ;)

and if you think about it daikatana had once the reputation of being ridiculously delayed ;)

personally i'm not going to buy it despite having liked the original... simply they continued to get funding while somehow dozens of my favoruite pc strategy series of the time got dropped

for the laughs the classic "what happened since DNF was announced"
http://duke.a-13.net/
what makes it even more funny is how even that is already out of date ;)

Nuck81

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Western Kentucky
It will be a mediocre ho hum shooter thats only noteriety is from it's outrageous content.

The perfect recipe to sell millions of copies to immature teenagers...

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
So... what about Starcraft 2? That was 12 years. I remember seeing ads for SC2 on the back of... Half Life? I can't remember where, but on the back of some game I purchased shortly after SC1. But was that a flop? and to future proof your comment... what about Diablo 3?

SC2 was not in development for 12 years. Blizzard didn't even start until much later, they couldn't. They didn't own the rights to everything about the game until much later and those that did have them were not interested in a SC2. And in between they made another little game that has a small sub culture called world of warcraft. Diablo 3; oh yeah another game that they didn't start developing until much much later. In 2006 they release patch .13 the "last" of the patches for Diablo II -- they had no plans for D3 at this time.

DNF has been ACTIVELY (basically) worked on since the last one was released; that is quite different. SC2 and D3 were not spoken about or hyped at all until three years before release. DNF has been spoken about, shown or whatever since DN3D was popular.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
SC2 was not in development for 12 years. Blizzard didn't even start until much later, they couldn't. They didn't own the rights to everything about the game until much later and those that did have them were not interested in a SC2. And in between they made another little game that has a small sub culture called world of warcraft. Diablo 3; oh yeah another game that they didn't start developing until much much later. In 2006 they release patch .13 the "last" of the patches for Diablo II -- they had no plans for D3 at this time.

DNF has been ACTIVELY (basically) worked on since the last one was released; that is quite different. SC2 and D3 were not spoken about or hyped at all until three years before release. DNF has been spoken about, shown or whatever since DN3D was popular.

Q&A with Blizzards Rob Pardo, they started working on it 7 years prior, after warcraft 3.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...7/starcraft-ii-qa-with-blizzards-rob-pardo-/1

7 years is PLENTY time to be applicable to this statement. Do you REALLY think DNF has been ACTIVELY developed for who knows how many years? Come on. It takes 1 year to make a game of that caliper. Look at the COD series, even with the love/hate story between their two sets of devs.

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Shake it baby!

I was five years old in my fathers lap:D opening doors by hitting the spacebar while he played DN3D. Finally grew some balls to beat the damn thing, now I can finally finish the legacy.:p

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010

+1. I played this at my friend's house when it came out because he actually had Token ring going into about half a dozen rooms at his parent's house, so we could actually have a LAN party via IPX (long before wireless or even regular CAT5). For me at 16, it was the most amazing thing to be able to shoot an RPG at my buddy in the next room.

I bet someone could build a killer montage set to music that showed the various screenshots of "Duke Nukem Forever" that have been released over the years (really since 1996 or 1997 that this game was popular and the sequel was promised).

Roderick Usher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Someone posted this cover over at the Penny Arcade forums. Not sure if it's real, but at least it's in good taste:

1.png

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
It will be a mediocre ho hum shooter thats only noteriety is from it's outrageous content.

The perfect recipe to sell millions of copies to immature teenagers...

I don't buy that for a second. The original was a great game at the time and I'm looking forward to this one. BTW. I'll be almost 60 by the time it comes out. :)

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
7 years is PLENTY time to be applicable to this statement. Do you REALLY think DNF has been ACTIVELY developed for who knows how many years? Come on. It takes 1 year to make a game of that caliper. Look at the COD series, even with the love/hate story between their two sets of devs.

When I was there we released TFT and nothing was done on SC2 or D3, that was 2006. Now there may have been work being done in the planning stages but not the coding; and that is where a lot of the work has to be done. He could also be referring to the fact that they used much of the WC3 engine, and were already planning on using it for other things such as SC2 at the time.

Yes DNF was mostly worked on the whole time, but they had to keep starting over because of team changes, requirement changes, technology changes, etc. There was some dead time, because of the big shake ups at 3DR and then after it shut down and before the license was purchased.

Few games take 1 year to develop. Much easier if they have a good engine they can reuse, but to really create an engine and all new game play rules take a lot longer.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio

You're preaching to the choir there. The 11th Hour was touted as "even better" than its bestselling puzzle-game/adventure predecessor The 7th Guest. After a couple of years in development hell, we adventure-loving public were presented with:
* A DOS game when virtually every other studio had gone to Windows.
* An extremely buggy one at that. Good luck on getting your video card to work with this one, fellas...
* Quite possibly the most lifeless, stilted acting in a game with video cutscenes-- evar. Yes, it deserves the "a", it's that bad.

Trilobyte Software was never the same afterward.

coochiekuta

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
here and there
i dont know if many are expecting great things from this game but i think everyone is hoping. most of us have our fingers crossed and we have played duke before. everyone else doesnt know duke or master chief is all they know.

duke is one of those rare characters that is beyond his game. you want to progress the story because you want to see what duke does next. i think if they keep duke fun, the game will be enjoyable.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
What I loved about Duke was the over-the-top attitude and if that trailer is anything to go by it's still there. Even if the game play isn't anything to write home about I'll still have fun playing it.

Duke Nukem was pretty popular in it's day, so if they game is at least decent it will probably do alright. One thing I wish they would do is release some of the earlier, abandoned versions of Duke Nukem Forever, even if there are only one or two playable levels. A trip through development hell.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Duke Nukem was pretty popular in it's day, so if they game is at least decent it will probably do alright. One thing I wish they would do is release some of the earlier, abandoned versions of Duke Nukem Forever, even if there are only one or two playable levels. A trip through development hell.

This is what I'm hoping for too. That the PC version (at least) has old demos of their earlier versions. If they bundle that with a collectors edition then it'll be the first PC collectors edition I buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.