PDA

View Full Version : I need help with media to TV solution

Doc69
Jan 21, 2011, 11:33 AM
I'm currently streaming video from a Mac to my TV through a WDTV. This works pretty well, as most file formats are supported, but organizing video files into folders is becoming unmanageable as my library grows in size. This is because in order to properly organize video files, many files need to go into multiple folders or categories. And with video you can't really afford to waste space by having duplicate files everywhere.

I love having my music in iTunes (2TB of lossless files). The ability to rate tracks and make playlists is awesome. As my video library is ever increasing in size, I want to have the ability to sort short-cuts of the video files into playlists and also rate them.

I know I could use iTunes for video as well, and then hook up a Mac to the TV, but iTunes is extremely limited to what file formats it will play, as is the ATV. I do not want to convert my video files to lessen the picture quality.

Surely there must be a solution that does for video what iTunes did for music? And that plays all formats without converting?

thetruth1985
Jan 21, 2011, 12:00 PM
I think I understand what you are asking. I would suggest maybe getting a cheap Mac mini to hook to your tv. From there, you can probably install xbmc as your interface. You could also try the boxed box although I have no idea if it will support every single format you use. Te reason why I recommend the boxee is because it supposedly shows you every video in your library and sorts them without having the deal with a file structure.