Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Hi,

I have an 09' iMac already on my desk but i wanted a macbook/ibook to move about with, but i don't want to pay abother £1000 for it.
I have seen some iBook G4's on ebay for under £100 pound but the problem is they are all pick up only and they are hundreds of miles away from where i live :(

Anyone know where?

Intel or PowerPC, it is not for music, or video editing or work or anything.. just for internet browsing and facebook..

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Craigslist?

What is this?

Also im from Wales UK

Craigslist - big in the US, tiny in the UK, its not worth it.
I recommend eBay UK - Its where Ive got most of my old Macs that havent come from friends/relatives (Its amazing what you can get just by asking - Ive got a eMac G4, iMac G3, iBook G3 all by asking). If your looking for an iBook, then to actually get one, its going to be 150 quid (Thats the going rate for a decent iBook G4 1.33Ghz or so, which should keep you going).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Craigslist?

What is this?

Also im from Wales UK

It's similar to eBay but most deals are done locally. It's pretty popular in the US, not sure about UK. Just keep checking eBay, I'm sure something will pop up sooner than later

iMacBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Is there any apple laptops that would be under £100 that would be worth buying nowadays?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Is there any apple laptops that would be under £100 that would be worth buying nowadays?

Highly unlikely. You might be able to get an iBook G3 (or G4 if you're extremely lucky) but seriously, those are very outdated. The biggest issue would most likely be a terrible battery and a new battery will likely cost more than the laptop itself.

Try to look for Intel MacBooks. You might be able to find one for couple of hundreds. Moreover, a netbook would be sufficient for your needs so unless OS X is a must, I would grab one of those

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

Highly unlikely. You might be able to get an iBook G3 (or G4 if you're extremely lucky) but seriously, those are very outdated. The biggest issue would most likely be a terrible battery and a new battery will likely cost more than the laptop itself.

Try to look for Intel MacBooks. You might be able to find one for couple of hundreds. Moreover, a netbook would be sufficient for your needs so unless OS X is a must, I would grab one of those

Along those lines you could purchase a Dell Mini 9 and hack it to run OS X.

iMacBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009

OS X is a must haha, i don't really like any other operating system.

Found a iBook G4 on ebay, but for some wierd reason the owner has taken Mac OS X off and put 'Ubunta' on instead.. no idea why.

That Dell Mini thing must be the ugliest computer of all time !! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009

definitely not if you really want to use it and not only for display ,having said that , a ibook g3 clamshell eventually you could get for under £100

and to your question , yes there are shops who sell second hand iBooks /PowerBooks online , but you are looking then at the £300 mark + , and yes they sell them , people are prepared to pay that price to get a fully functioning one with a battery that is still chargeable , ebay is a gamble really with iBooks sold at prices up to £300 with dead batteries or half dead ones , a reason why i never replaced my iBook G4 1.42 , with another one , instead i bought a MSI wind u100 hackintoshed , ok screen is a bit smaller , but the performance beats the ibook @online videos
buying used apple computers /laptops in the uk is expensive , like property prices people sell for more then the actual value to upgrade to a newer one without spending much money and it seems to work thanks to mortgage and credit card

Last edited:

iMacBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
From what everyone has said, i think i will now leave it.

I love my iMac don't get me wrong but the next one i get in a few years i think will be the macbook pro:)

Thanks anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.