PDA

View Full Version : Can I use the old cables?

gr997s
Jan 21, 2011, 12:10 PM
Just bought the new generation Apple TV. Can I use the old power cord from the first generation Apple TV. It will make the installtion alot quicker. Thanks.

Darth.Titan
Jan 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
It's a standard power cable, so I don't see why not.

frunkis54
Jan 21, 2011, 02:23 PM
Just bought the new generation Apple TV. Can I use the old power cord from the first generation Apple TV. It will make the installtion alot quicker. Thanks.

yep i was to lazy to crawl behind a bunch of stuff so i used the old cable and it worked find.

james11
Jan 22, 2011, 01:27 AM
Yes it will work you can use old cables.

APPLENEWBIE
Jan 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
I also am using the new power cord on a gen 1 apple tv that has been developing a lot of video artifacts and generally working very poorly.

For some reason, using the gen 2 cord the old atv is working perfectly now. So here's my real question. The old power cord has a built in power adapter, but on the new atv it is built into the unit itself. Is the old atv now getting pure 110v without the cord mounted adapter. And if so, why is it not fried???

Do you think that the real problem with the gen1 atv could just be a bad power adapter?

APPLENEWBIE
Jan 23, 2011, 12:59 PM
Ok... I was wrong about the cord mounted power converter. Was thinking of my mac mini...

It does seem to be working now however. I'm thinking bad power cord?

Intell
Jan 23, 2011, 01:03 PM
It could be a bad cord, bad power socket, or interference from other devices.

xraydoc
Jan 23, 2011, 02:35 PM
The power cords, aside from color, are the same.

Darth.Titan
Jan 24, 2011, 01:36 AM
Ya you can use the old one for good speed.. but my suggestion is to go for a new one cable..

We're talking about a power cord here genius. Read the thread before posting.

We all know you just want us to click your spammy link in your sig, you're not fooling anyone.