PDA

View Full Version : ElGato EyeTV

NEENAHBOY
Feb 1, 2005, 10:55 PM
OK, can someone please explain to me how exactly it works???

Kwyjibo
Feb 1, 2005, 11:15 PM
plug tv source, ie dvd player, coax, svideo, or other into eyetv, plug eyetv into mac via USB or firewire, load software, enjoy tv on your mac, its not very complex.

now if you mean the dynamics of the tv tuner and things like that or the conversion schemes you'll need someone much more inteliigent.

robbieduncan
Feb 2, 2005, 04:29 AM
Only thing to add to the above is that not all EyeTV hardware is equal in terms of inputs. I have a 410 ordered with my mini from Apple (still waiting...) and it only has an input for a standard TV antenna as it does not have an digitising hardware (it's for digital TV).

Also I note that the record/pause functionality was not mentioned. How this works is that it saves the digital stream to the hard drive (either after digitising it in the EyeTV hardware or in the case of a digital TV tuner version just passing it straight through).

Symtex
Feb 2, 2005, 06:03 AM
I bought a Plextor TV402U for pc last year and I was told that I had to buy the Mac edition in order just to get the elgato software that support my PVR on MacOS.

I'm really bummed out because i really wanted to use this device on my mac. Since the hardware for the PC and MAC edition are exactly the same, just having the software would definetly work.

the pc capture software wasn't that good and of course being force to use windows xp is not the perfect solution for home video

robbieduncan
Feb 2, 2005, 07:34 AM
You can download the standard Elgato EyeTV application from the Elgato website. It does not need any sort of activation or serial number. I've downloaded it to play with whilst I'm waiting for the hardware. Do you need some special version?

Symtex
Feb 2, 2005, 07:36 AM
You can download the standard Elgato EyeTV application from the Elgato website. It does not need any sort of activation or serial number. I've downloaded it to play with whilst I'm waiting for the hardware. Do you need some special version?

I don't think so. Can you send me a link for the download ?

***EDIT***
I thought you had to have the software and it's was just an update that was available thru the website

Symtex
Feb 2, 2005, 03:37 PM
I have found the download that woks with my plextor by at the installation process it's asking for an activation key. I'm desperate. I want to use this product that I bought for pc on my mac. It's ridiculous that plextor won't supply me the mac software needed.

/cry

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 2, 2005, 03:42 PM
Elgato also has a new product out called the tv wonder that uses usb2 to connect to your Mac. Ati is involved in the product somehow. Concept is good but the case is butt ugly and i dont think i would have it sitting next to a Mac.

Symtex
Feb 2, 2005, 03:50 PM
Elgato also has a new product out called the tv wonder that uses usb2 to connect to your Mac. Ati is involved in the product somehow. Concept is good but the case is butt ugly and i dont think i would have it sitting next to a Mac.

I already have the equipement, i'm referring to the software only which was not provided by plextor because i bought the pc version. the only differences between the pc and mac version is the EyeTv on apple and WinDVR on pc

varmit
Feb 2, 2005, 03:52 PM
Basicallly, the hardware converts the TV signal into something the program, EyeTV, can read. The EyeTV software can record and play back TV. I like that it can play back a show as you are recording another. Just don't like when it switchs to what is being recorded when it starts to recording a new show.

NEENAHBOY
Feb 2, 2005, 04:48 PM
OK, so just that I'm clear, there would have to be a TV, DVD player or other source actually next to EyeTV, correct?

Symtex
Feb 2, 2005, 05:43 PM
OK, so just that I'm clear, there would have to be a TV, DVD player or other source actually next to EyeTV, correct?

I want to use it to capture my xbox, ps2 and gamecube in order to make video content of gameplay. It works already on my pc but as you might know working with video on a pc is asking for trouble.

ravenvii
Feb 2, 2005, 06:39 PM

You'll have a source to feed into the eyeTV, yes. But the TV itself is not the source, it simply received the source and displays it on screen. The eyeTV already has a TV tuner in it, so if you want toe merely watch TV, just plug in the cable. For DVDs and gaming consoles and whatever, then yes you'll have to have one of them next to the eyeTV. Think of the eyeTV as a TV without a screen.

As for gaming on a console, the eyeTV's encoding is not fast enough for actual gameplay - what you actually see on your computer is about 2-3 seconds after the display was sent from the console. So your character will move 2-3 seconds after you press a button on yoru controller. Not ideal at all.

Converted2Truth
Feb 2, 2005, 06:51 PM
As for gaming on a console, the eyeTV's encoding is not fast enough for actual gameplay - what you actually see on your computer is about 2-3 seconds after the display was sent from the console. So your character will move 2-3 seconds after you press a button on yoru controller. Not ideal at all.
Are there any encoders that work in realtime? no (noticable) delay?

mowogg
Feb 2, 2005, 06:51 PM

I ordered one of those two weeks ago with the MacWorld special offer. They were supposed to be shipping around now, but I haven't heard anything from them since the original order confirmation. I agree it's not the best looking box, but it will go "under the desk" after hooking up to the DirecTV box.
8^)

Symtex
Feb 2, 2005, 07:01 PM

I used the Plextor TV402U and it's hardware encoding. the delay is around .5 sec.You can't play but good to record replay or playback

AWishForNoOne
Feb 2, 2005, 08:09 PM

The new eyetv wonder usb 2.0 claims to have no noticeable delay so if you want to play video games on your mac this sounds like the way to go.

The difference between the wonder and the eye tv 200 is that the wonder uses your computer to convert whilst the 200 converts "in itself" and then feeds it to your computer. That accounts for the $200 price difference. The negative to this is that it uses your computer resources and if you only have a single g4, it can't encode to dvd quality.

Hope that made sense..

robbieduncan
Feb 3, 2005, 03:56 AM
I have found the download that woks with my plextor by at the installation process it's asking for an activation key. I'm desperate. I want to use this product that I bought for pc on my mac. It's ridiculous that plextor won't supply me the mac software needed.

/cry

I downloaded 1.7 from here (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_updates_eyetv). I seem to remember that the install was just drag-and-drop from a disk image? As I have no encoding hardware at the moment I can't do much with it but it will start up and open Quicktime movies fine without any key. Perhaps it only needs a key if it detects your encoding hardware?

Symtex
Feb 3, 2005, 04:48 AM
I downloaded 1.7 from here (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_updates_eyetv). I seem to remember that the install was just drag-and-drop from a disk image? As I have no encoding hardware at the moment I can't do much with it but it will start up and open Quicktime movies fine without any key. Perhaps it only needs a key if it detects your encoding hardware?

It onlly needs an activation key if you choose my hardware. /cry. Also it seems that Elgato do seem the stand alone application. The activation key is only give to OEM by plextor. Plextor tells me to buy it from them../confuse

I think i'm going to have to make a few phone call today and yell a bit.

varmit
Feb 3, 2005, 08:35 AM

No need for a TV or DVD player if you just want to watch and record TV. The TV station you want to watch will show up in a little window, or if you full screen, on your Mac's monitor.

varmit
Feb 3, 2005, 08:39 AM
The new eyetv wonder usb 2.0 claims to have no noticeable delay so if you want to play video games on your mac this sounds like the way to go.

The difference between the wonder and the eye tv 200 is that the wonder uses your computer to convert whilst the 200 converts "in itself" and then feeds it to your computer. That accounts for the $200 price difference. The negative to this is that it uses your computer resources and if you only have a single g4, it can't encode to dvd quality.

Hope that made sense..

I have the 300, and my playstation seems to show some delay. I'll see if the new EyeTV program helped, tried it back when the software version was 1.6. And what he said, EyeTV box does all the encoding and taxes less resources on your Mac unlike a internal card.

tutubibi
Feb 3, 2005, 10:22 AM
It onlly needs an activation key if you choose my hardware. /cry. Also it seems that Elgato do seem the stand alone application. The activation key is only give to OEM by plextor. Plextor tells me to buy it from them../confuse

I think i'm going to have to make a few phone call today and yell a bit.

Try to exchange your PC version for Mac version if you can. I purchased Mac version of TV402U and then downloaded stuff for PC. Now it works fine for both.

csimon2
Feb 3, 2005, 10:22 AM
If you really want no delay viewing of your source (especially essential for video game systems), then you need a real-time encoder without delay such as the Miglia AlchemyTV DVR PCI card. I have one of these and there is no delay and console games can be played without issue. Any device that is external will likely have at least a slight latency, mostly because of the bus bandwidth limitations. If ATI's hardware combined with EyeTV's software has no latency whatsoever, then that is very impressive, and my hat goes off to them.

As far as the Plextor device's compatibilty with the mac, I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware doesn't have some sort of firmware protection from allowing it be used with a mac. Why else charge an extra $30 for the same hardware, one that includes less features? ADS did this afterall for their MPEG-2 USB boxes. But, there is a note on the Plextor homepage that Mac users can upgrade their box to the PC version for $49, so maybe they are the same and compatible?

tutubibi
Feb 3, 2005, 10:34 AM
If you really want no delay viewing of your source (especially essential for video game systems), then you need a real-time encoder without delay such as the Miglia AlchemyTV DVR PCI card. I have one of these and there is no delay and console games can be played without issue. Any device that is external will likely have at least a slight latency, mostly because of the bus bandwidth limitations. If ATI's hardware combined with EyeTV's software has no latency whatsoever, then that is very impressive, and my hat goes off to them.

As far as the Plextor device's compatibilty with the mac, I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware doesn't have some sort of firmware protection from allowing it be used with a mac. Why else charge an extra $30 for the same hardware, one that includes less features? ADS did this afterall for their MPEG-2 USB boxes. But, there is a note on the Plextor homepage that Mac users can upgrade their box to the PC version for $49, so maybe they are the same and compatible?

Hardware is the same, check Plextor's FAQ (http://www.plextor.com/english/support/faqs/TV402Mac0001.htm). Mac version is more expensive probably because software licence for EyeTV is more than one for WinDVR. It's good to see Plextor is now offering Mac users opportunity to make their device work with PC. But what about PC users that want to make it Mac compatible (like Simtex above).

wdlove
Feb 3, 2005, 02:52 PM

If you happen to have Cable then your in business. The Cable is plugged into the EyeTV 500 hardware. The software will allow the viewing and recording of TV on your Mac.

NEENAHBOY
Feb 3, 2005, 04:39 PM
If you happen to have Cable then your in business. The Cable is plugged into the EyeTV 500 hardware. The software will allow the viewing and recording of TV on your Mac.

OK, I have DirecTV. How exactly would one go about setting one of these up with that?

varmit
Feb 5, 2005, 06:42 PM
OK, I have DirecTV. How exactly would one go about setting one of these up with that?

buy the one that is ment for satalite tv or what they recommend for DirecTV and set it up. Comes with directions and its not that hard.

Estic
Feb 11, 2005, 07:37 AM
I'm looking into getting a eyetv for my imac g5 but I'm unsure which one to get. The price difference between the eyetv 200 and 500 is so small. As of right now I have regular cable, not even digital. After reading ElGato website I'm confused if the eyetv 500 will even work for me. Any help would be great

THanks

Twinkie
Feb 11, 2005, 07:50 AM
I'm looking into getting a eyetv for my imac g5 but I'm unsure which one to get. The price difference between the eyetv 200 and 500 is so small. As of right now I have regular cable, not even digital. After reading ElGato website I'm confused if the eyetv 500 will even work for me. Any help would be great

THanksIt won't.

I got an EyeTV 500 hoping that I could use it for regular broadcasts now, and have the ability to use it for HDTV later. I was wrong... hence my attempt to trade it here, and my later attempt to put it on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5751153595).

Estic
Feb 11, 2005, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

I read your ebay listing, so could you pick up any HD signals? And how id it look? Also are you going with the eyetv 200? I just don't want to buy this thing and not be impressed with picture quality.

Thanks

Twinkie
Feb 11, 2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

I read yoru ebay listing, so could you pick up any HD signals? And how id it look? Also are you going with the eyetv 200? I just don't want to buy this thing and not be impressed with picture quality.

ThanksYeah, I was able to pick up a couple of channels. I live in a fairly rural city, so I'm sure with a halfway decent antenna I could have got more.

The picture quality looked great. I wouldn't go as far as to say "DVD quality", but it looked pretty close to me. Though, I suppose a better antenna could fix that. I was only getting a 30% signal. If it wasn't for the fact that I want to transfer lots of VHS and archived TiVo programs to DVD, I'd probably keep the 500.

Estic
Feb 11, 2005, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I was able to pick up a couple of channels. I live in a fairly rural city, so I'm sure with a halfway decent antenna I could have got more.

The picture quality looked great. I wouldn't go as far as to say "DVD quality", but it looked pretty close to me. Though, I suppose a better antenna could fix that. I was only getting a 30% signal. If it wasn't for the fact that I want to transfer lots of VHS and archived TiVo programs to DVD, I'd probably keep the 500.

I'm not sure if you have seen a 200 in person, but would you say the quality would be better then a vhs tape or equal?

Twinkie
Feb 11, 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure if you have seen a 200 in person, but would you say the quality would be better then a vhs tape or equal?I don't know, to be honest. I haven't seen the 200.

Though, I know the ultra cheap AverTV card on my old PC was Video CD quality... so I'd have to imagine something like the 200 would be much better :D

Bill 3
Feb 22, 2005, 05:52 AM
Hi everyone, i have bought Plextor ConvertX PCR for PC - in Europe they haven'n Mac version :(( and i'm looking for Macintosh authentications code. Dummy, EyeTV for mac i can't buy... i use macs only..

THX for help.

Bill 3

Stelliform
Mar 1, 2005, 12:22 PM
I don't know, to be honest. I haven't seen the 200.

Though, I know the ultra cheap AverTV card on my old PC was Video CD quality... so I'd have to imagine something like the 200 would be much better :D

The quality on the 200 is pretty good. I run it full screen on my G4 iMac 17" and it looks great. The editing is pretty good also. I recorded a show last night and removed the commercials. After I figured it out (the documenation was pretty weak) it works pretty well. It took a while to compress the video without the commercials, but it worked.

One other thing about the eye tv's is TitanTv.com's remote scheduling. I just discovered that today. link (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=news_pressreleases_show&language=english&timestamp=1087293600)

I just remote scheduled what I want to get tonight. I can't wait to get home and see if my eyetv is waiting to record those shows. BTW that is only availible from TitanTV on the EyeTV. link (http://www.titantv.com/ttv/grid/aboutpvrwatchfull.aspx)

varmit
Mar 1, 2005, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone, i have bought Plextor ConvertX PCR for PC - in Europe they haven'n Mac version :(( and i'm looking for Macintosh authentications code. Dummy, EyeTV for mac i can't buy... i use macs only..

THX for help.

Bill 3

You can download Eyetv from here to use with the Plextor PCR - http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_updates_eyetv&PHPSESSID=f96fce86ac41e72388d880ab6830163d

As for Authentication code, I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Symtex
Mar 1, 2005, 12:39 PM
You can download Eyetv from here to use with the Plextor PCR - http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_updates_eyetv&PHPSESSID=f96fce86ac41e72388d880ab6830163d

As for Authentication code, I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I have the same problem. In the installatin process, if you choose a Plextor TVR40u as a device, the software ask you for an activation key. If you choose any other devices supported by the application, the key is not require.

I've contacted Elgato and they only sell the software to plextor as OEM. You are force to buy the Plextor for mac package. : :mad:

Wyvernspirit
Mar 1, 2005, 01:25 PM
I have the same problem. In the installatin process, if you choose a Plextor TVR40u as a device, the software ask you for an activation key. If you choose any other devices supported by the application, the key is not require.

I've contacted Elgato and they only sell the software to plextor as OEM. You are force to buy the Plextor for mac package. : :mad:

You can't buy an activation code from Plextor? Have you called them?

Symtex
Mar 1, 2005, 01:53 PM
You can't buy an activation code from Plextor? Have you called them?

Plextor told me to call Elgato and Elgato told me to call Plextor... :mad:

Gerg
Mar 1, 2005, 03:12 PM
Keep in mind that for Remote Scheduling to work, you have to change a couple of Preference settings. Under "Guide" you have to check the box where it says to check for updates (or something like that) and specify how often it should check (hourly, every 3 hours, etc.). Also, you have to have it set up so it wakes up the Mac if there's a program to record (or for it to go out and check for Remotely Scheduled programs).

I just figured this out last week, and it really works! Now I wish they would let you specify the times that it should wake up & check for new recordings to make. I want it to check from like 9 to 5 only, after that I'd be home, and wouldn't be Remotely Scheduuling anything. Maybe someday they'll do that.

Wyvernspirit
Mar 1, 2005, 06:33 PM
Plextor told me to call Elgato and Elgato told me to call Plextor... :mad:

Isn't that wonderful. Everyone passing the buck. Maybe you can try asking a manager, or atleast keep escalating it up the food chain till someone gives you a satisfaactory answer. If the hardware is the same, as it would seem, then it should be able to be done.

daveL
Mar 1, 2005, 06:44 PM
I thought the EyeTV 500 was for the European market, where they actually have open standards for digital sat and cable distribution? DirectTV and Dish here in the states are anything but open, thus the inability to have a universal channel control, other than kludging up an IR transmitter interface.

wide
Mar 1, 2005, 07:18 PM
If I buy an Elgato system, can I view and record digital cable on my computer? Or does it only work with analog (i dont know what any of that really means :D )

Converted2Truth
Mar 7, 2005, 10:52 PM
If I buy an Elgato system, can I view and record digital cable on my computer? Or does it only work with analog (i dont know what any of that really means :D )
It will allow you to view TV on your mac no matter what. But it can get hairy. For instance... many channels aren't even digital. My cable box only delivers ~10 digital channels. Those are the movie channels... the rest of the channels just come right from the wall... straight up analog. So you can split the cable line and tune through all the analog chanels on the Mac. But you won't be able to view the digital channels. That doesn't mean that you can't view them though... you can run the output from the cable box into the elgato, and record/view that way. But in order for an eyetv to be a digital reciever, there would have to be alot more hardware. they'd be alot more expensive, and wouldn't work with all cable companies... some cable companies even use proprietary box's.

wdlove
Mar 8, 2005, 07:12 PM
I don't have to worry. Just have basic Cable. So don't have to deal with the digital problems.

csimon2
Mar 10, 2005, 11:09 AM
I thought the EyeTV 500 was for the European market, where they actually have open standards for digital sat and cable distribution? DirectTV and Dish here in the states are anything but open, thus the inability to have a universal channel control, other than kludging up an IR transmitter interface.ATSC in the US is a digital open to the air standard based off of antennas. It is not "closed" like DirecTV or DishNet, because those are proprietary based off of satellites. The EyeTV 500 tunes into ATSC signals, not satellite, and it can also now tune into clear QAM channels from your cable provider.

If I buy an Elgato system, can I view and record digital cable on my computer? Or does it only work with analog (i dont know what any of that really means :D ) As far as the EyeTV 500 is concerned, it depends. Most cable companies currently offer some form of clear QAM support. These are digital channels that do not require a specific cable box, just a QAM compatible tuner. When you see the "HD Built-in" label on a TV for instance, that generally means that it has a QAM tuner. For most cable companies, the channels offered over QAM are your local HDTV channels, possibly the digital music channels, and a few digital cable channels that would normally require a STB. Of course, for the QAM to be operational, you need at least some kind of subscription to cable service, but it doesn't have to be one of their "digital" packages, it could be just basic+expanded analog and you would be fine.

Now onto the EyeTV 200, USB, Plextor, and ATI Wonder. Because all of these have analog inputs, you can easily receive and record any channel you subscribe to. Its simply a matter of using the composite or s-video inputs on the box from your cable STB to watch and record. The difference between these boxes and the EyeTV 500 is that the 500 is an all-digital solution. There is NEVER any conversion before it records to disk. With the other products, if you are recording digital cable, that means you have to convert the digital to analog on output and then back to digital when it comes into your mac.