PDA

View Full Version : Cinema Displays - Prone to Interference?

Diomedes
Feb 1, 2005, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I just plunked down almost $2,000 for a 23" Cinema display...however, I notice that parts of the screen look like they're "undulating". On a standard CRT, this would be attributed to poor refresh rate, but that doesn't seem to apply to these models.

My PowerBook's LCD doesn't have the same issues. Before I lug it down to the Apple Store, does anyone know if LCD displays can experience interference from other electronic equipment (speakers, etc)? The AppleCare guy I spoke to didn't know.

clayj
Feb 2, 2005, 12:09 AM
Are you using the same video cable? Are you using a longer cable with the new monitor than you did with the old monitor? Is the new monitor's cable going anywhere near any power cables or speakers (incl. subwoofers)? Try setting up the monitor and the computer by themselves, with no other equipment around at all, and see if the problem continues to occur. If it does, you may have a bad monitor.

To answer your question, yes, LCD displays are sometimes prone to interference from outside sources... there's no electron beam to interfere with (like in a CRT... those you can mess with by putting a fridge magnet near the screen), but there are electronics in there that could be affected.

snkTab
Feb 2, 2005, 06:22 AM
try a different location not near any electronic source, then take it to a friends house. if the problem persist, take it back.

also i would check the sofware refresh rate settings...