Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Apps that have worked fine in the past now have no functioning sound. The sound on iPad works but there's about 6 childrens app a that the sound no longer functions on. I've done a rstart and a reset. Don't know what else to do.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I'm having the same problem but only on one app, an off-road rally racing game called 2XL Rally HD. Really annoying because the game is a ton of fun, but with no sound it loses a bit of it's luster.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Found out what was wrong

This sounds strange to me but the slider button down by the sound up/down control was turned off or in the wrong setting. Moved it and all the sound now works. I really don't see why some sound would work and others would not. Mystery somewhat solved.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
This sounds strange to me but the slider button down by the sound up/down control was turned off or in the wrong setting. Moved it and all the sound now works. I really don't see why some sound would work and others would not. Mystery somewhat solved.

That is because that switch turns off system sounds. Some sounds in apps are system sounds, while others are, for lack of a better term, regular sounds. You can test the difference by playing music from the iPod app, then starting another app that uses sound. If the music keeps playing, and the sound from the app overlaps the music, those are system sounds. If the music fades away when the app sounds start, those are regular sounds.

jns2001

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks guys for guidance, I just fixed mine, it had the mute switch off, although some applications would "sound" regardless.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
yeah, I had the same problem with mine, when I was reading something on here about 4.3 features i read that you could do either mute or orientation lock with it, figured I'd check to see if it was in the orange position, muted....sure enough it was, got the sound back....I sure felt like a dumba$$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.