Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
Ok this might be me being a bit stupid, but if I've got the long/lat of where a picture was taken how can I use this to geo-tag a pic? The only way I can see is to drag it onto the map? Is there a way to input the long/lat exactly?

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Ok this might be me being a bit stupid, but if I've got the long/lat of where a picture was taken how can I use this to geo-tag a pic? The only way I can see is to drag it onto the map? Is there a way to input the long/lat exactly?

Bring the picture up in aperture, click on metadata. On the Bar that has general, click on the downward arrow to bring up a menu, near the bottom is GPS you can enter your data directly. If you have an iPhone, take a picture with it when you are using your camera, you can import it and use lift and stamp process to attach it to other photos taken along with the iPhone picture. You can also use the lift and stamp process once you manually type in the GPS data. Good luck

.mark.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
Bring the picture up in aperture, click on metadata. On the Bar that has general, click on the downward arrow to bring up a menu, near the bottom is GPS you can enter your data directly. If you have an iPhone, take a picture with it when you are using your camera, you can import it and use lift and stamp process to attach it to other photos taken along with the iPhone picture. You can also use the lift and stamp process once you manually type in the GPS data. Good luck

Thanks for the tip. I tried this but the fields are all read only? Is there something I need to do to edit them?

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Tried playing around with this this afternoon. My only thought is to click on places and find where you took the photo. Here's what I did. I selected a photo, then on the top tool bar clicked on "Places." A world map came up in the main screen above the pictures in the bottom portion of the split view screen. I then typed in a street address right by where I took the photo in the spotlight area in the top right hand corner. Click the return key and a drop down menu of several possible nearby addresses appear. Select one and click on "assign location" That should do it. Hope that helps. It is the closest thing that I know of what to do. I suppose you could type the GPS coordinates into the spotlight area and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
The only way that I know of to do this with exact lat/long info is via a 3rd party app (such as houdahGeo) PRIOR to importing your image into Aperture.

FWIW, I geotagged roughly 20,000 images in Aperture over the weekend via the map/places interface. It was fast and worked very well. Although images are not tagged exactly (or as exact as a GPS log would be anyway), they are close enough for my purposes. Moving forward I plan on using Geotag Pro on my iPhone to create log data that I can use with-in Aperture to auto-tag the bulk of my images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.