PDA

View Full Version : How to get pics off of Iphone before sync to new Itunes??? HELP!

piluvr
Jan 22, 2011, 06:49 AM
I had to get a new itunes because my Macbook laptop was dropped and the hard drive crashed.

I have MANY pictures and music on my iPhone that will (I presume) be erased when I plug into/sync new iTunes/iPhoto.

I don't care that much about loosing the music as I have already come to terms with loosing my entire iTunes library.

I try and upload my pics to Flickr and email them to myself but there are a lot and I don't want to loose them.

Is there anyway to get my photo's off of my Iphone before I sync to the new itunes and wipe out everything (even my apps :mad:)??????

Thank you!!!

lapocompris
Jan 22, 2011, 10:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If your PC is on Windows XP or above, uninstall iTunes, upon connecting your iPhone to your PC, you will be offered the opportunity to download pictures

wordoflife
Jan 22, 2011, 10:02 AM
If you have a PC, just open the iPhone up from "My Computer" and copy the photos.

Not sure how to do it on a Mac though.

piluvr
Jan 22, 2011, 10:41 AM
I have a Mac iBook.

piluvr
Jan 22, 2011, 11:41 AM
I need help with how to get my pics off with an APPLE computer!

JamesMB
Jan 22, 2011, 11:54 AM
It's pretty simple on a Mac or a PC.
On a Mac, connect your device to the Mac, iPhoto should open and recognize your device, choose import photos from the menu. If iPhoto doesn't open, then manually open it and select import photos. After your pictures have been imported, you can arrange them into folders in iPhoto. If you want to put them back on you phone, open itunes select your device in the left pane, selevt the photos tab, select sync photos, select the folders that contain the photos that you want you want on your phone, select sync.

Iphoto should open each time you connect your device, if that device has photos in the camera roll. If it doesn't open, and you want it to open automatically, open iPhoto prefs, under the General tab, you will see "connecting camera opens", select iPhoto.

If you want to save your apps and music, that is also easily done.

aross99
Jan 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
When you connect your iPhone to your Macbook, iTunes and iPhoto should launch. iTunes will stop and ask you if you want to sync with a new computer. Either say "no", or sit on this screen.

Switch to iPhoto (it should also launch) and you can import your pictures on the Camera roll. Don't delete them from the iPhone until you know you have them in iPhoto. Not sure about getting pictures off that are NOT in the Camera roll.

Once you have your pictures off, then you can continue with iTunes. There are a number of options for getting your music off also. Not sure how well they work, but I know it can be done. You can search the forums using mroogle:

http://mroogle.edesignuk.com/

to help you find info about getting your music off.

When you have everything (or don't care about losing your music), then you can continue with iTunes and sync your music from your new library...

One last suggestion - invest in one of those external portable hard drives. You can use Time Machine to make your backups, and the drives are available for as low as $50 for drives in the 160GB range. This is usually plenty for backing up music and photos.

All you have to do is plug the drive into your computer from time to time, and it will backup all of your stuff. Simple and easy, and much better than losing your stuff due to to a computer crash...

drayon
Jan 25, 2011, 02:20 AM
Every single god dam reply to these questions avoids the question. WTF ppl??????
FORGET THE FSCKING CAMERA ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I've spent all day reading the same replies, GRRR. Excruciatingly stressful trying to get images i'd taken on my camera, sync'd to my iPad with iTunes to copy onto another persons PC.

When you sync a folder of pics with iTunes from a Mac or PC the photos on the iPad/iPhone end up as 'Albums', in the Photo app NOT the camera roll!!! The huge difficulty here is when you want to get these photos back onto a Mac or PC. None of these pics will show up in Image Capture, iPhoto, Windows Explorer or any other application. You can't drag pictures from you computer to Image Capture or these other apps either.

iTunes does not allow the function to 'Manually Manage' photos like it can for music and movies. If Apple allowed this a Photo icon should show up under devices in the iTunes sidebar for each iOS device and thus allowing users to manually drag files and folders of pictures to the iOS device. The reverse would allow users to select the photo files of the iOS device in iTunes and drag them to the locations in the Finder.

Why Apple? Why so difficult and restrictive?

eastercat
Jan 25, 2011, 05:01 AM
Every time I connect my iPhone to my computer, image capture comes up; this gives me the option to save my photos to any folder I want without using iTunes.
If that doesn't work, try iPhone explorer.

-aggie-
Jan 25, 2011, 05:55 AM
Every single god dam reply to these questions avoids the question. WTF ppl??????
FORGET THE FSCKING CAMERA ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I've spent all day reading the same replies, GRRR. Excruciatingly stressful trying to get images i'd taken on my camera, sync'd to my iPad with iTunes to copy onto another persons PC.

When you sync a folder of pics with iTunes from a Mac or PC the photos on the iPad/iPhone end up as 'Albums', in the Photo app NOT the camera roll!!! The huge difficulty here is when you want to get these photos back onto a Mac or PC. None of these pics will show up in Image Capture, iPhoto, Windows Explorer or any other application. You can't drag pictures from you computer to Image Capture or these other apps either.

iTunes does not allow the function to 'Manually Manage' photos like it can for music and movies. If Apple allowed this a Photo icon should show up under devices in the iTunes sidebar for each iOS device and thus allowing users to manually drag files and folders of pictures to the iOS device. The reverse would allow users to select the photo files of the iOS device in iTunes and drag them to the locations in the Finder.

Why Apple? Why so difficult and restrictive?

One word, Sharepod. You can easily copy ALL pics as long as you have a PC.

piluvr
Jan 25, 2011, 09:49 AM
I guess I assumed that I had to sync to my itunes in order to use the iphoto and I was afraid to try and loose everything!

So I did plug my phone in and closed down itunes and easily got all my pics off of the phone and copied then all onto my external hard drive...

now I am wondering how to get the music off of my iphone before syncing and loosing it all...

I thought I had all of my music saved onto my external hard drive but whatever I did to save it through itunes saved it as some weird text file and all the music is gone!

I wish the IPhone wasnt so dependant on itunes...

JamesMB
Jan 25, 2011, 10:25 AM
I guess I assumed that I had to sync to my itunes in order to use the iphoto and I was afraid to try and loose everything!

So I did plug my phone in and closed down itunes and easily got all my pics off of the phone and copied then all onto my external hard drive...

now I am wondering how to get the music off of my iphone before syncing and loosing it all...

I thought I had all of my music saved onto my external hard drive but whatever I did to save it through itunes saved it as some weird text file and all the music is gone!

If the music is still in iTunes, you can select your playlists, right click and select burn to disc. If you are unable to do that, open finder and go to user/music/itunes/itunes media/music. If the music is still there, drag the entire music folder to your external drive.

-aggie-
Jan 25, 2011, 11:40 AM

Again, sharepod is your answer.

drayon
Jan 25, 2011, 08:15 PM
Again, sharepod is your answer.

Not really 'the' answer since we use Macintosh computers with Mac OS X not M$ Windows. We are on a Macintosh forum. If we wanted answers relating to Windows we'd be asking on some Windows Forum.

eastercat
Jan 25, 2011, 11:21 PM
Not everyone in the iphone forum has a mac. -aggie- knows that, I know that, but do you know that?
iPhone explorer is available for mac and possibly windows, IIRC; it gives root access to the iphone. You just have to know where to look for the music or whatever it is you're looking for.
Not really 'the' answer since we use Macintosh computers with Mac OS X not M$ Windows. We are on a Macintosh forum. If we wanted answers relating to Windows we'd be asking on some Windows Forum.

milani
Jan 25, 2011, 11:53 PM
Just download iPhone Explorer (for Mac or PC) then access your iPhone like you would a camera through the file system. Just look for the DCIM folder and copy the pictures to your Mac's HDD. Easy as pie! :)

You can download iPhone Explorer for free here: http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

Oh, and if you love the app support the devs by giving a donation!