PDA

View Full Version : How would you change the Macbook Air 11"?

Intel Inside
Jan 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
Borrowed this topic from Engadget. Thought it would make for an interesting topic over on MR.

To cover the biggest 2 for me, i'd change:-

-Give it a 10:16 screen
-Blacklit Keyboard :p

MacRuler
Jan 22, 2011, 09:44 AM
make the bezel almost non existent by making the screen 12-12.5 inches .....make it a little thinner in the back..keep the battery where its at.. and its my dream machine.

iPhoneCollector
Jan 22, 2011, 09:48 AM
The backlit keyboard and a better speaker

But do you really want a 10:16 screen that would look ridiculous. I think you ment 16:10. That would be ok

TSE
Jan 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
Longer battery life as I don't see the point of an 11" ultraportable with only 4-5 hours of battery life, and Sandy Bridge processors.

Kill two birds with one stone, as Sandy Bridge processors have been giving 20-30% better battery life over the last generation Core processors.

Hellhammer
Jan 22, 2011, 09:55 AM
make the bezel almost non existent by making the screen 12-12.5 inches .....make it a little thinner in the back..keep the battery where its at.. and its my dream machine.

+1

I wish apple removed the bezel from all laptops. The current 11" could in theory fit a 13" screen (the diameter of the machine is 14") while the 13" MBA could be able to fit a 15" screen (its diameter is 15.6"). Bezel is wasted space IMO, get rid of it or make the machine physically smaller.

wordoflife
Jan 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
I kind of like the power button not being part of the keyboard.

zinka
Jan 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
Backlit keyboard. FireWire port. Slightly faster CPU. Otherwise I love it.

MacsAreBetter\
Jan 22, 2011, 10:24 AM
A backlit keyboard is what sold me the MBP over the normal MB, and I really enjoy late night browsing. Of course my fingers are so used to QWERTY I don't need to look at all, but it would be a nice addition.

That's about all!

bmat
Jan 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
User upgradeable ram or base of 4 gb, longer battery life or MagSafe the size of the iPad charger.

solowmodel
Jan 22, 2011, 10:56 AM
It's weird, even though I have a MBP I'm not to fussed by the lack of a backlight keyboard..

bowlerman625
Jan 22, 2011, 11:05 AM
IMO, great just as it is.

absynth
Jan 22, 2011, 11:07 AM
I agree it needs a less wide screen aspect ratio. 9:16 is retarded on such a small device. I would really prefer everybody would standardize on the 2:3 proportion you also have on the iPhone, to me it's the perfect aspect ratio ranging from small to large screens.

I would love a 11" macbook air, but not with this screen.

Scottsdale
Jan 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
I really don't understand the 16:9 display on it. First, it requires an odd bezel; it just looks wrong in terms of the bezel widths on top/bottom and sides. Second, I think this should be the 13" MBA. The MBA they call the13" should be a 15". What in the hell is wrong with Apple when it comes to these ridiculous bezels. An otherwise beautiful laptop could look stunning and make great use of space, instead of just wasting that bezel space that could easily fit a much bigger display. I see a thin bead of aluminum that makes a great edge to lift the display and would fit the otherwise greatness of the design.

I would upgrade the CPU to a 2.13 GHz as is found in the 13" MBA. I would add USB 3.0 ports. I would also figure out a way to put mDP, USB, and power on one side of the MBA; currently connecting a 27" LED ACD is just wrong with cables going to both sides of the MBA.

In terms of price, I don't think we should complain. Apple reduced the RAM and NAND Flash storage down to get to target price. What I would definitely change is add real RAM slots and allow people to buy and install their own RAM and NAND Flash storage. I also think since Apple is already using a three-year-old CPU, it should just include the max CPU capable. Meaning that maybe there isn't enough cooling to get my desired 2.13GHz C2D in there, but we know a 1.6GHz C2D will fit. Eliminate the upgrade and just include the 1.6GHz C2D. This wouldn't cost Apple anything other than opportunity to sell the $100 upgrade. The way pricing works for these, Apple isn't paying more for the 1.6GHz.

In reality the upgrade everyone talked about at launch was the failure to use a Core I-series CPU. With the Nvidia/Intel resolution and Nvidia now having left the chipset business, I feel Apple needs to find a way to use discrete GPUs or BETTER yet could be an AMD CPU and GPU combo. I would not buy an MBA with Sandy Bridge CPU that uses the integrated GPU as the sole graphics solution. We would be much better off with AMD CPU/GPU systems. I just hope that Apple can figure out a way to make the low-end Macs seem worthy of high prices without the most marketable Intel CPU in the Macs. The problem is people's perception of Intel as high end when their graphics is disgustingly inferior to the 2.5 year old Nvidia 9400m. If they can get it through customers heads that AMD CPU/GPU is a much better Mac than Intel for CPU and IGP, we could all benefit greatly from a switch.

Finally put an LCD in the trackpad, and make it a true touch display that is easy for the user to touch exactly what they want to do without needing to touch the display itself which is awkward and not ideal. I think this along with Retina-type displays is where Apple should differentiate Mac dieter from PCs.

Hellhammer
Jan 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
We would be much better off with AMD CPU/GPU systems.

Currently, AMD has nothing to offer when compared to Intel. Their current CPUs are worse than C2D in clock for clock and the best offering for MBA would be 1.8GHz dual core (TDP of 15W).

One can speculate about Fusion but at the moment, that is only speculation. We don't have any concrete specs or benchmarks of Llano yet. Llano's production was pushed back to July with availability being Q3 (I would expect late Q3) but the first chips will be for desktops only. Mobile chips are still a mystery. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ivy Bridge before mobile Llanos.

AMD isn't impossible but I don't see Apple using AMD unless Llano will be revolutionary. One of the reasons Apple switched from PPC to Intel was IBM's unreliable schedules and empty promises. Intel has solid tick-tock schedule, something that AMD hasn't been able to provide. Llano was supposed to be Q1 2011, now it will be at least 6 months late.

Bierkameel
Jan 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
The only thing that I need on my 11" air is a gigabit ethernet port, I use it as my main computer and have a fast gigabit network at home with a fast Synology NAS and the Apple USB ethernet adapter is only 10/100.

peapody
Jan 22, 2011, 12:09 PM
Some reasonable requests:

1. Thinner bezel - that bezel takes up way too much of the screen
2. Backlit keyboard
3. SD card slot - As a mobile computer, the omission of a card slot hurts.

+1

I wish apple removed the bezel from all laptops. The current 11" could in theory fit a 13" screen (the diameter of the machine is 14") while the 13" MBA could be able to fit a 15" screen (its diameter is 15.6"). Bezel is wasted space IMO, get rid of it or make the machine physically smaller.

I'd agree with this - but personally I have never seen a laptop without a bezel. The bezel is indeed wasted space, but it is necessary to hold on the LCD, cover the mounting brackets and hide wireless, camera, and microphone wires that get routed to the mobo. I love the thin bezel of the HR AG. I can deal with that ratio.

klover
Jan 22, 2011, 12:12 PM
I really don't understand the 16:9 display on it.

As far as I can tell, they needed the width a 16:9 aspect provides to accommodate a full-sized keyboard.

Hellhammer
Jan 22, 2011, 12:16 PM
I'd agree with this - but personally I have never seen a laptop without a bezel. The bezel is indeed wasted space, but it is necessary to hold on the LCD, cover the mounting brackets and hide wireless, camera, and microphone wires that get routed to the mobo. I love the thin bezel of the HR AG. I can deal with that ratio.

It's obvious that it cannot be fully removed but it can always be thinner, much much thinner. Something like 2cm on each side should be fine

http://blog.laptopmag.com/wpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/LG-XNote-P210-i.jpg

peapody
Jan 22, 2011, 12:26 PM
It's obvious that it cannot be fully removed but it can always be thinner, much much thinner. Something like 2cm on each side should be fine

Haha based on your post you said you wanted them removed. I thought to myself, hmm never saw that before.

But yeah I agree it should be thinner. That's the one thing I despise daily about that machine. But the problem probably is really that the LCD itself is small and does not reach the edges of the LCD back cover. I've repaired older Asus machines that have some pretty thick bezels, and they are thick because the screen is just smaller and doesn't fit the spec'd machine.

Mr. Savage
Jan 22, 2011, 01:19 PM
I would love it if they'd bring back the backlit keyboard. And if possible a backlit keyboard would be nice. Other than that the only thing I'd like to see is a backlit keyboard and maybe a backlit keyboard.

jent
Jan 22, 2011, 01:31 PM
Aside from the standard upgrades that come with time (storage, memory, et cetera), I really would just add an SD card slot (if possible) and give it even better battery life (which I don't know how Apple would achieve since so much of the space is dedicated to the battery already). It's a great machine.

firewood
Jan 22, 2011, 01:56 PM
Backlit keyboard.

Some way to attach a robust security slot or cable.

An officially upgradable, replaceable larger SSD would also be nice.

I would not want a thinner bezel, as this would make the MBA heavier, more fragile, more expensive and have a shorter battery life. Or have a substandard keyboard size. Dumb idea.

quantumguy
Jan 22, 2011, 01:58 PM
Sleep/battery life indicator

Bierkameel
Jan 22, 2011, 02:11 PM
Some way to attach a robust security slot or cable.

Good point, one of the most expensive laptops does not even have a small slot for a kensington lock :mad:
The alu frame would be a good fit for one of those slots, now I have to put my Air in the drawer of my desk if i'm going to the toilet.

akdj
Jan 22, 2011, 02:21 PM
Seems pretty sweet that the most common complaint is "bezel size", followed by the backlit keyboard! Seriously, neither has anything to do with performance. Seems everyone that actually owns one is happy with it's capability. Count me as another VERY happy Air Owner. I just picked one up (11" with the 128/4g upgrade) for my wife and her birthday gift this past Wednesday.

I couldn't be happier...Perhaps my favorite Apple design of all time! I bought the 17" i7 MBP this past fall...and this little Air is surprisingly capable and "Speedy"! Seriously!!! I make my mortgage payment and feed my family doing video and audio production, so our business relies heavily on Macs and their individual capabilities and reliability. I'm very, very much considering an SSD for my MBP...as well as our Mac Pro. Easily the MOST significant performance boost available to ANY platform, in my opinion! Especially for day to day tasks. Even though I rely heavily on my 17" and desktops to do most of the heavy lifting, after installing PS CS5 on this little 11" air, I will NEVER shy away from post production on this little guy! It's awesome, truly an incredible computer and I have a hard time finding ANY faults. Obviously though, this is a conversation that will take place in Cuppertino as well, as Apple gets ready to release a new Air down the road...so, if there's an addition I'd like to see, I'm a fan of the iPhone 4's pixel density and resolution. Continued improvement to screen rez is welcome...but to me, the bezel is fine! And, in my estimation, it's more of a protective ring around the display to keep it from being slammed in to the keys every time the owner folds the screen down. Perhaps it could be smaller, but in no way does it bother me. I'm just as much happy with my bezel on the 2010 17" MBP as well.

But, again...it's great that this is the chief complaint amongst Air owners! just goes to show how far out of the park Apple actually hit the ball:)

Jer

Aatos.1
Jan 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
This laptop, like other Mac laptops still retains a wide bezel from the past. For all the chest pounding & bragging Jobs does, Apple rarely introduces something truly new. They could easily reduce bezel width to thin, give us a 16:10 aspect ratio display. That would give it a very modern look while increasing the usable display size. The MBP line would also benefit from a change like this.

animatedude
Jan 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
i'm sure i'm alone in this but the reason i didnt buy the new Air is because they omitted the IRS sensor which i don't think will take much space right?

Roessnakhan
Jan 22, 2011, 04:25 PM
Don't have much need for a backlit keyboard - but obviously a demand is there so it'd be nice to have that included. As for my personal wants: SD card slot on the 11" would be nice.

KPOM
Jan 22, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'd have added a 256GB SSD option. If it were available, I might have gone with the 11" instead of the 13".

iDave
Jan 22, 2011, 07:12 PM
Titanium and early aluminum PowerBooks had narrow bezels. I don't get it. What happened? Put a 12.5" screen in what is the current 11.6" model and it'd be awesome.

RobertPS
Jan 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
1. Matte 16:10 screen 12"
2. Backlighted keyboard
3. SD card slot
4. USB 3.0

KPOM
Jan 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
Titanium and early aluminum PowerBooks had narrow bezels. I don't get it. What happened? Put a 12.5" screen in what is the current 11.6" model and it'd be awesome.

It might have something to do with how thin the screens are on the new models. The Powerbook screens were almost as thick as the 11" MacBook Air in its entirety.

iRun26.2
Jan 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
It might have something to do with how thin the screens are on the new models. The Powerbook screens were almost as thick as the 11" MacBook Air in its entirety.

I agree. From a mechanical strength point of view, the extra bezel might be necessary to strengthen the very thin display. I don't think Apple would release a notebook that would allow the screen to be easily twisted / warped. It is very sturdy yet light.

63dot
Jan 22, 2011, 09:37 PM
I like how the 11" inch seems to have all the right things in it, and is a step beyond the netbooks because MBA 11" has a full version of OS X.

To make this already great computer better would be to reduce the price and perhaps lure people on the fence with that and mid-high end PC ultraportables from Sony or Lenovo or other major makers which can be in the $700 dollar range. I saw a pretty decently configured Sony for $999 in a very small form factor but it offered more in terms of RAM, HDD space, ports, and processing power. It was slightly heavier but still an ultraportable laptop.

I think Apple would see a pretty big jump in sales if they could offer the MBA 11" with a price of something in the neighborhood of $929 or so, and with whatever Sandy Bridge processor would reasonably fit into it in that price range.

This recession has affected everybody, even the traditionally deep pocketed, hardcore Mac user who is willing to pay a third to a half more to get a Mac. To stay competitive, have an idea what the public is putting at the top of their list, whether it's quality and speed, or more of something that is still good but is affordable.

Apple Inc. is now a big enough company to reach into the moderate price range and compete head to head against the Sonys and Lenovos of the computer world in that very competitive arena.

iRun26.2
Jan 22, 2011, 09:48 PM
I like how the 11" inch seems to have all the right things in it, and is a step beyond the netbooks because MBA 11" has a full version of OS X.

To make this already great computer better would be to reduce the price and perhaps lure people on the fence with that and mid-high end PC ultraportables from Sony or Lenovo or other major makers which can be in the $700 dollar range. I saw a pretty decently configured Sony for $999 in a very small form factor but it offered more in terms of RAM, HDD space, ports, and processing power. It was slightly heavier but still an ultraportable laptop.

Apple has already drastically reduced the price of the MBA. Before you had to pay a lot more for a MBA with a SSD. $999 for a MBA would have been shocking just a few year's ago.

63dot
Jan 22, 2011, 10:01 PM
Apple has already drastically reduced the price of the MBA. Before you had to pay a lot more for a MBA with a SSD. $999 for a MBA would have been shocking just a few year's ago.

It's not a few years ago, and we are now in the recession in many markets (even if it's on the recovery upswing).

thelookingglass
Jan 22, 2011, 10:21 PM
Give this thing battery life like the iPad and I have no complaints whatsoever. Performance is more than enough for me. Very snappy machine, great screen, great keyboard. It's just the battery life that still makes me feel like I need to be tethered to a power cord all of the time.

altecXP
Jan 22, 2011, 10:47 PM
I'd like a ULV i3 or i5, least 6hrs of battery, and a backlit keyboard.

Scottsdale
Jan 22, 2011, 11:15 PM
As far as I can tell, they needed the width a 16:9 aspect provides to accommodate a full-sized keyboard.

Actually, the "16" refers to the width and 10 or 9 the height. Therefore, a 16:10 would be the same width but would be one unit taller. This would eliminate the thicker bezel widths on top and bottom than on the sides. My problem with the design is the look. It also sucks to lose space just to be filled by bezel.

Mr. Savage
Jan 22, 2011, 11:32 PM

Apparently what happened is that the 11.6 inch screens were/are the only widely available "off the shelf" screens and in order to keep costs in line they had to go with them (as opposed to sourcing some special proprietary screens with a more ideal size which would've driven up Apple's costs).

Thus, in order to accommodate a full-size keyboard and hit the $999 price point we end up with an 11.6 inch screen with a larger than normal bezel—there is no usable screen real estate hidden behind the bezel, it is mostly all bezel.

appleguy123
Jan 23, 2011, 12:36 AM
I really don't understand the 16:9 display on it. First, it requires an odd bezel; it just looks wrong in terms of the bezel widths on top/bottom and sides. Second, I think this should be the 13" MBA. The MBA they call the13" should be a 15". What in the hell is wrong with Apple when it comes to these ridiculous bezels. An otherwise beautiful laptop could look stunning and make great use of space, instead of just wasting that bezel space that could easily fit a much bigger display. I see a thin bead of aluminum that makes a great edge to lift the display and would fit the otherwise greatness of the design.

I think that the bezels are there so that the lid can be beveled at an angle that Mr. Ive likes. I doubt that the displays are as thin as the thinnest point of the lid.

Funkymonk
Jan 23, 2011, 01:19 AM
Make the bezel thinner, it's way too thick.
Cut the price to $699.

firewood
Jan 23, 2011, 01:22 AM
Titanium and early aluminum PowerBooks had narrow bezels. I don't get it.

They were also thicker, heavier and more expensive. I prefer the MBA 11's size, weight and price, which couldn't be done with a narrower bezel.

firewood
Jan 23, 2011, 01:24 AM
Cut the price to $699.

Why not ask for the price to be $0.99? And have them include a bonus magic unicorn in the box!

Bakari45
Jan 23, 2011, 02:30 AM
Make the bezel thinner, it's way too thick.
Cut the price to $699.

With the multiple-billion net profit Apple made last year, I totally think the Air should come down to this price.

n1tut
Jan 23, 2011, 04:07 AM
I have not seen anybody mention this alternative yet. I love my 11.6" MBA, I have accepted the bezel size, but I also would like to see it thinner. Assuming that Apple had to use this standard screen size, then why not make the notebook smaller which would make the bezel thinner, and the Air smaller and lighter at the same time, which are the most important aspects to me. Lying in bed sending this at the moment.

I realise that the keys may have to be slightly smaller, but we are only talking about a reduction of around an inch in the width, and again that would not bother me. Not likely to happen, but then we are discussing what we would like to see, and it would be interesting to speak to an Apple designer to see if it was actually possible.

tut

Funkymonk
Jan 23, 2011, 04:25 AM
Why not ask for the price to be $0.99? And have them include a bonus magic unicorn in the box!

That would be awesome! Can I fly around in the unicorn too? Maybe I can use the unicorn to hunt down and impale douchebags I meet on the internet! :cool:

torbjoern
Jan 23, 2011, 05:06 AM
That would be awesome! Can I fly around in the unicorn too? Maybe I can use the unicorn to hunt down and impale douchebags I meet on the internet! :cool:

Fly around in it? I think you confuse unicorns with pegasi.

Lord Appleseed
Jan 23, 2011, 05:25 AM

http://www.glogster.com/media/2/4/40/68/4406868.jpg

I wouldn't ever bet on a pricedrop below 1000$/

jazz9
Jan 23, 2011, 07:10 AM
Two things for me:

Improved battery (for 11")
Backlit Keyboard

Hallivand
Jan 23, 2011, 08:13 AM
Although with the mentions of the Titanium Powerbooks, I cannot see why with todays technology they couldn't implement that absolutely stunning bezel from the TiBook to the Macbook Air.

For every laptop I've seen, nothing has beaten that incredible thinness of the screen and the bezel. Almost like its an entity on its own...(I regret selling my pristine condition one :mad:) alas the Air could easily have this from a machined piece of aluminium re enforced with some exotic metal Apple can conjure up.

They did it nearly 10 years ago, they can do it again :D

nick9191
Jan 23, 2011, 08:29 AM
Nothing really.

Oodles faster than my old SR 2007 MacBook even at 1.4Ghz. Don't need backlit keyboard, love glossy screens, never seen the point of a matte screen on a laptop besides personal preference (the old whitebook screen and the new MBA screen is like night and day as well), battery life suits me fine, don't need FW or SD.

Perfect laptop for me, bar none.

nick9191
Jan 23, 2011, 08:52 AM
Although with the mentions of the Titanium Powerbooks, I cannot see why with todays technology they couldn't implement that absolutely stunning bezel from the TiBook to the Macbook Air.

For every laptop I've seen, nothing has beaten that incredible thinness of the screen and the bezel. Almost like its an entity on its own...(I regret selling my pristine condition one :mad:) alas the Air could easily have this from a machined piece of aluminium re enforced with some exotic metal Apple can conjure up.

They did it nearly 10 years ago, they can do it again :D

It's all about appeal. It's more appealing to the eye to have a laptop that's long and wide, but extremely thin, than a thicker shorter one. You could say Apple could just utilize the bezel for a bigger screen in the same size package, but Apple would just add on the bezel making the laptop longer and wider so they could either make it thinner or stick in a better battery.

Basically the bezel makes the laptop bigger, giving the impression that it's thinner than it actually is. Plus the bezel gives them more room TO make it thinner.

jimboutilier
Jan 23, 2011, 09:48 AM
I love my 11.6 1.6/4/128 but would be pleased to see:
- better battery life even a the cost of a bit of size and weight
- larger SSD option (seems owc may have already done this)
- backlit keyboard or higher contrast keys

iRun26.2
Jan 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
I love my 11.6 1.6/4/128 but would be pleased to see:
- better battery life even a the cost of a bit of size and weight
- larger SSD option (seems owc may have already done this)
- backlit keyboard or higher contrast keys

Give me a bigger SSD and bring back the backlit keyboard and I will upgrade to a new model

Please don't make the battery life longer at the expense of making heavier! I love how much lighter (and less bulky) it is than the 13.3" model. I also can get 7 hours of battery life if the screen isn't too bright (not watching video). That is just perfect for me!

ChristianJapan
Jan 24, 2011, 05:58 AM
as many other: I miss the backlit keyboard from my MBP. Would be nice to have.

Everything else: quite happy with the 11.6"/4/128.

Ah, maybe a 3G interface would be nice; though a MiFi/Mobile WiFi might be the smarter solution.

jimboutilier
Jan 24, 2011, 09:16 AM
Give me a bigger SSD and bring back the backlit keyboard and I will upgrade to a new model

Please don't make the battery life longer at the expense of making heavier! I love how much lighter (and less bulky) it is than the 13.3" model. I also can get 7 hours of battery life if the screen isn't too bright (not watching video). That is just perfect for me!

While convincing the powers that be to let me work fewer hours is clearly the preferable solution, I can't get through a full business day without a recharge on the AIR so hopefully Apple can find a way to extend battery life without changing weight significantly to make us both happier ;-)

I'm optimistic apple can do it using some of the technologies they put into the iPad given how it sips from it's battery and how often we need faster computing power vs idle time.

iRun26.2
Jan 24, 2011, 09:26 AM
While convincing the powers that be to let me work fewer hours is clearly the preferable solution, I can't get through a full business day without a recharge on the AIR so hopefully Apple can find a way to extend battery life without changing weight significantly to make us both happier ;-)

I'm optimistic apple can do it using some of the technologies they put into the iPad given how it sips from it's battery and how often we need faster computing power vs idle time.

I think a Sandy Bridge (or Ivy Bridge) CPU/GPU addition will be the most likely update that could extend batter life.

Hellhammer
Jan 24, 2011, 09:29 AM

Sandy Bridge seems to provide enormous battery life, see this (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape/9). That is a quad core CPU but it still get better battery life than the 13" MBP! Dual core and LV/ULV parts are even more power efficient.

Apple updated the battery from 5 to 7 hours in last update without making it heavier, actually they made it 0.1lb lighter ;)

greytmom
Jan 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm sure that I'm repeating what a thousand others have said, but the only thing keeping me from purchasing a MBA rather than MBP is the size of the hard drive.

jamesryanbell
Jan 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
I'm sure that I'm repeating what a thousand others have said, but the only thing keeping me from purchasing a MBA rather than MBP is the size of the hard drive.

Keep your media on a 64GB thumb drive or external 1TB platter drive or something, and you'll be fine. You really shouldn't be storing all of your media on the same drive anyway. Junks it up. Especially SSD.

Ronnoco
Jan 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
Backlit keyboard. FireWire port. Slightly faster CPU. Otherwise I love it.

+1...I absolutely LOVE the 16:9 display and form factor...
Might I add the black bezel? :D

neko girl
Jan 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think the one thing I've noticed about it at the store is that the screen does not tilt back fully. I would think this would force a strange sitting angle if it's in your lap, or cause you to sit really low when you're at a table (because of how short the screen is).

I don't really know a solution, but it seems like the laptop would be awkward to use sometimes (on your neck), even if the weight is very good.

Ronnoco
Jan 24, 2011, 12:55 PM
Keep your media on a 64GB thumb drive or external 1TB platter drive or something, and you'll be fine. You really shouldn't be storing all of your media on the same drive anyway. Junks it up. Especially SSD.

I have the 11" Ultimate and I keep my media (70+gb iTunes library and about 100gb of movies) on a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB hybrid that I purchased and put in a small external enclosure...it keeps the programs I want to use the most (iTunes) in it's 4GB flash memory for nearly instantaneous use...it takes one bounce of the iTunes icon on the dock for it to open and be fully indexed with over 12,000 songs (and several tv shows and apps)...It is almost like having an external SSD for $120.00
:D

63dot
Jan 24, 2011, 01:49 PM
With the multiple-billion net profit Apple made last year, I totally think the Air should come down to this price.

I don't think Apple could come down that to that low ($700 dollars), but coming down $50 to $100 bucks from a grand is possible.

I think what hurt the Air when it first came out was the price being too high. People saw what was out there and what the Air offered and the public said no way.

I think with their good price now, a slight price drop, and also with Sandy Bridge, possibly LV or Ultra LV processor, can be great for Apple. Apple is so far ahead of everybody else and they can widen their lead.

I have to admit I have seen some nice Sonys that put a lot into a small case. Apple is still thinner though but battery time is what the sub-notebook market is all about. I won't say that Apple can challenge the netbooks quite yet, but the 11" MBA is a happy medium between affordable PC netbook and very capable MBP.

firewood
Jan 24, 2011, 04:10 PM

Apples large profits are probably related to their product pricing. If you owned or ran a small company, would you promote a manager who priced stuff that reduced your overall profitability? As for it being a big company, most shareholders don't own that much of it and are counting on their small chunk of Apple to help their retirement saving (or college tuition, etc.)

63dot
Jan 24, 2011, 07:52 PM
Apples large profits are probably related to their product pricing. If you owned or ran a small company, would you promote a manager who priced stuff that reduced your overall profitability? As for it being a big company, most shareholders don't own that much of it and are counting on their small chunk of Apple to help their retirement saving (or college tuition, etc.)

With pricing, there is a sweet spot. If you charge too much, the product dies on the vine. If you charge too little, there's not enough profit. I think Apple can come down a little on the entry level MBA.

As a trend, Apple introduces a product just a little high, then comes down a little and gets the product going well (most times) and then go way down and then get a second wind on sales. It's worked well for them even though some don't like the early adopters high pricing. I thought the initial price of the MBA and it's very high price was going to kill the product. Why get such a small, limited laptop when you could get a nice MBP which doesn't weigh that much to begin with?

Apple got smart and lowered the price a couple of notches. But now they are facing recession era pricing from other companies and a thousand dollars for the entry level MBA and what you get may not be attractive to many buyers in the future. Some PC side netbooks (or the ultraportables one class above) are really starting to beef up their stats and for those on the fence, it may not serve Apple to have a thin and ultralight be starting as high as $999. Let $999 be the midrange and have a couple of higher end ones from there.