Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennadq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Jersey
Hey there, I'm working off a Macbook 13", OSX 10.5.8. I recently made upgrades which have left me needing more USB ports. I just wanted to check before running out and buying one of these things that there aren't any issues I may run into or concerns I should have. I read somewhere that, with a macbook, a hub should only be added to the front built-in port(further from the screen).

On an unrelated note, I have an firewire ipod cable that will charge my ipod but not show it in Itunes. Any answers/guesses?

randomhkkid

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
I've had no problems adding this 10 port hub to my macbook pro 15" It's plugged into the usb port closest to the screen if that makes any difference :)

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
On an unrelated note, I have an firewire ipod cable that will charge my ipod but not show it in Itunes. Any answers/guesses?

That is all it will do - the firewire cable will charge the iPod but only the very early iPods will synch over Firewire (maybe the first couple of generations of the original iPod and the iPod Mini too)

If the iPod is less than about 8 years old you will need a USB cable to synch....

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I'm had mostly good luck with using a powered hub with my 13" MBP, but not always.

My USB mouse tends to sometimes "stick" a little now and then when in the hub. Also, I have an iLok license dongle (holds music software licenses) that will sometimes disconnect when in the hub. Though it never does this when not in the hub. I've tried this with two different powered hubs. Also doesn't happen allll the time, just now and then. For now, I usually keep my mouse plugged in directly, and keep the other stuff in the hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.