PDA

View Full Version : How long will they last for?

MacsAreBetter\
Jan 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
The current MBA computers seem amazing; but how long will their C2D processors still be fast and coping with the latest software?

I'm talking;
Future revisions of Creative Suit (photoshop, etc)
Updates to iLife and iWork
Gaming on OSX and Windows (minimum settings etc)

Also the graphics card; how long will it be dominant on the market for?

celticpride678
Jan 22, 2011, 01:20 PM
Few years probably.

AMDGAMER
Jan 23, 2011, 10:46 PM
The C2D processors are awesome. Compare them to centrino mobile processors that everyone was going crazy for a few years ago...talking night and day.

oakie
Jan 23, 2011, 11:43 PM
The C2D processors are awesome. Compare them to centrino mobile processors that everyone was going crazy for a few years ago...talking night and day.

"centrino" was not a processor. the Centrino brand name was for the complete chipset and CPU that accompanied it; a solution that was based on the Pentium 4 and designed for mobile applications.

73CortinaV8
Jan 24, 2011, 12:12 AM
most software (except maybe gaming) hasn't really caught up with hardware.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say C2D will have a usable life of 5 to 6 years.

I have a 4+ year old Thinkpad with a T7200 Core 2 Duo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#.22Merom.22.2C_.22Merom-2M.22_.28standard-voltage.2C_65_nm.29) that I still do heavy development on.

With the fattened up caches and hyperthreading and smaller die size, the current C2D should scream.