PDA

View Full Version : M4V rather than MP4

jason2811
Jan 22, 2011, 04:19 PM
When ripping DVDs I usually use the Apple TV 2 preset in Handbrake. I notice that this saves the files in a m4v format. Is this better quality or worse than mp4 format? Also, I want these files to have some value in the future-- meaning that 5 years down the line I want to be able to watch them even if I no longer rely on iTunes or an Apple TV. What is the best Handbrake setting for good quality and small file size (below 2GB). Does XBMC play m4v files?

Darth.Titan
Jan 22, 2011, 04:27 PM
m4v = mp4

It's just an alternative file extension. You can manually switch from one to the other in Finder. It makes no difference.

bmb012
Jan 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
m4v is a container, mp4 is a codec. The video should be encoded using mp4, so it'll be identical.

simsaladimbamba
Jan 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
m4v is a container, mp4 is a codec. The video should be encoded using mp4, so it'll be identical.

MPEG-4 is a codec, .mp4 is a container like .m4v, though .m4v adds AC3 and DRM capabilities.

jason2811
Jan 23, 2011, 10:48 PM
Thank you everyone for the clarification.

Also, I want these files to have some value in the future-- meaning that 5 years down the line I want to be able to watch them even if I no longer rely on iTunes or an Apple TV. What is the best Handbrake setting for good quality and small file size (below 2GB)? And is m4v a format that is likely to be compatible with other media players in the future?