Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
So, I've had an issue with the ATV2 since I got it. It flickers during what I can only presume is some sort of HDMI handshake procedure.

It isn't like the negative image some people are getting. Its literally a split second black flicker and then back. Its intermittent and can sometimes be solved by swapping hdmi ports or cables, but not always. The cables and ports have all been tested on PS3 / XBOX and have no problems there.

The issue also did not happen at first, it started about two weeks after I bought the ATV.

Now....installed XMBC today and within the XMBC interface, everything is fine. No problems whatsoever. As soon as I drop back into the ATV interface, the problem returns.

I was going to see if I could get a replacement, but now it looks like this is a software issue.

Any advice or input from anyone? Anyone else got this problem?

The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-40W4000, which, again is not one of the models listed with the HDCP negative colour handshake issue....

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Looks like I spoke too soon. The issue has now started showing up in xbmc too. Think I'll return it unless anyone has any ideas?

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
I think this model has been known to have handshake issues with certain devices. If your tv is what the :apple:TV is having issues with, a new one may exhibit the very same issues. Nevertheless, it won't do any harm to try and get a new unit out of Apple. Just remember to un-jailbreak yourself before heading to the Apple store. If they see an XBMC sub-menu on your device all bets are off! Good luck!

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Looks like I spoke too soon. The issue has now started showing up in xbmc too. Think I'll return it unless anyone has any ideas?

Have you tried connecting it to another TV to see if the problem persists?

NewZealandMatt

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Same model of TV here, and same issue ... intermittent black flickering no matter what the source (menus, movies etc). Sometimes I've been able to resolve it by ensuring the TV is the last component to be switched on. Fingers crossed for an update from Apple, but if the issue is restricted to a small number of TV models I guess I shouldn't hold my breath ... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.