Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehinrichsen61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Hello, I got me a ATV2 a couple of days ago and it works ok for what I use it (mostly playing music from itunes).

But what bugs me is that it will not show photos from any flickr account that flickr has marked as restricted. Is there any way around this? All parental controls are de-activated.

Regards

knozdot

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
AppleTV and Flickr restricted photos

I've found by trial and error the same frustrating scenario. When I first launched the AppleTV app, I couldn't even find my account. I later discovered by trial and error that the AppleTV Flickr "search" for other contacts would not recognize me because in my Flickr profile, I had checked the box that dis-allows public searches for users' names.

Once I unchecked that box and did a research through AppleTV, my account came up and I entered my username and password and there were all my photos EXCEPT those in the "restricted" set. No matter what I did, the "restricted" photo set would not show up.

Both Flickr and Apple blame each other. If you try posting a "restricted" photo in the public area (i.e. open ones restricted set up to the public) -- yes, you'll be able to see them on AppleTV, but only until Flickr sends you a nasty email threatening to close down your account.

So it's a catch 22 that neither Flickr nor Apple seem to want to deal with, and yes, I consider it censorship more on Apple's part for NOT building into their AppleTV app a method to log on to Flickr letting ones password unlock all the Flickr photos, restricted or not. After all, AppleTV's "settings" give one the option of setting parental controls. Do we need another layer of protection for adults? Stupid and definitely censorship.

knozdot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.