Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
I am in the market for a new cell phone.

Requirements:
1. Works.
2. Smaller then a bread box (pocket size).

Like to have:
1. Bluetooth.

So my question is this... How many of you have bluetooth phones and how well do they work with your Mac? are there any phones that are known to not play well?

I was looking at Motorola and sorny-erricson as brands.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
zim said:
I am in the market for a new cell phone.

Requirements:
1. Works.
2. Smaller then a bread box (pocket size).

Like to have:
1. Bluetooth.

So my question is this... How many of you have bluetooth phones and how well do they work with your Mac? are there any phones that are known to not play well?

I was looking at Motorola and sorny-erricson as brands.

Motorolla is the best choice for bluethoot phone. the new Motorola V900 is really good.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Symtex said:
Motorolla is the best choice for bluethoot phone. the new Motorola V900 is really good.

I have not seen the V900... is it anything like the V600?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Motorolas don't always play nicely with iSync from what I've read here - or at least certain models don't. Their camera functionality and style factor can't be faulted though.

My last 2 Sony Ericsson's have synched without any trouble with my Mac, particularly my current k700i. The latest firmware version has improved the battery life enormously - previously my only reason for not recommending one.

My calendar appointments and address synch without trouble although I believe that all your phone appointments will end up in your 'Home' iCal. In Address Book, your contact avatars and physical addresses won't move over (unlike the Symbian p910 where everything moves!). I've used my phone as a remote control for iTunes and as a modem to connect my PB to the web - all via Bluetooth and very easily.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
The only way I can sync everything on my V600 is with a data cable. I can use Bluetooth to download photos from it but that's about it. Using a cable defeats the "cool" factor of having Bluetooth. For my next phone I'll probably go with another brand - unless Moto whips out the so-called "iPhone."

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
Symtex said:

Motorolla [sic]...the best choice? How so? A lot of phones nowadays carry BT features. Personally, I'm tired of flip phones, especially with what Motorola offers. I had the v600 and it broke after 2 months. I'm a fan of SE phones. The k700 is a great phone, and it's small too!

Question: Are you going to buy a phone from your cell phone provider, or an unlocked version?

chelseasian

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2004
New York, NY (Chelsea)
I have a Sony-Ericsson Z600 with BT. Love it. It syncs without problem using iSync. Everything works the way it should.

Go get it- besides it is not a very common phone here in the US. With a new service plan, you can probably get it for around $150 or less.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Applespider said:
My last 2 Sony Ericsson's have synched without any trouble with my Mac, particularly my current k700i. The latest firmware version has improved the battery life enormously - previously my only reason for not recommending one.

Thanks, I will check out the k700i. The feedback on how it syncs was also very helpful.

0s and 1s said:
Motorolla [sic]...the best choice? How so? A lot of phones nowadays carry BT features. Personally, I'm tired of flip phones, especially with what Motorola offers. I had the v600 and it broke after 2 months. I'm a fan of SE phones. The k700 is a great phone, and it's small too!

Question: Are you going to buy a phone from your cell phone provider, or an unlocked version?

I have a provider now, Cingular. My wife and I have the family plan and want to upgrade to a newer plan, ours is old. The current phones we have do not work with the new plans (we have old Nokias).

What is an unlocked version?

expergo

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2004
I would get an SE just for sailing clicker.

Right now, I use a v600 and just BT for callerid/sms, address book, dl'ing pics.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
For example, you purchase an unlocked SE T637 phone off eBay and decide that you want to get rid of Cingular and go to T-Mobile. Instead of buying a new phone, all you would need is a SIM card to use T-Mobile. My friend purchased an unlocked RAZR Motorola phone last year months before it showed up on Cingular. With a switch of SIM cards, you change carriers. Simple as that. Of course, there are band restrictions, so carriers such as Sprint and Nextel are not compatible.

GeorgeTheMonkey

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
I'll be another (the third?) to second (erm, third) the Sony Ericsson K700i. 'Tis a brilliantly fabulous phone. Positively the best experiences ever, both using that phone as it is and using it with OS X. The two work together fabulously.

An unlocked phone is simply... well... you... erm... Somebody else explain it. :p Cingular sells their phones, but not many people know that you can buy the exact same phones from the company, specialty stores, or eBay and take the phone with you wherever you go, no matter the service you switch to in a year. It's really handy for your peace of mind, for one; you know that if your service provider ends up a bummer, you haven't wasted $200 on a phone that you can't use anywhere else.

For me, I ordered my K700 off of eBay for a nice sum (~$350), probably a hundred or two more than I would've paid for a phone from Cingular, but I can use it anywhere and it was a phone that Cingular (or any US provider) didn't have yet. I simply took it to the store, activated my account, and they popped in a SIM card. Simple as that. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.