PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme Base Station with Lynksys?

Leslie343
Feb 2, 2005, 11:27 AM
I just ordered my first Mac! I got a 12" powerbook with superdrive, 756 Ram and 100 Gb HD and it is in the process of being shipped right now. My twin sister also got a powerbook (same model, as you can guess). We were interested in getting an Airport Express Base Station with Airtunes. We already have Lynksys Router in our home set up but with my current computer I rarely pick up the signal and when I do my connection is very weak and my internet is slow. We live with other girls who are most likely not interested in changing our wireless. Is it possible to get an Airport Express Base Station and hook it into the back of our Lynksys Router or better yet, plug it in somewhere else in the house and have it serve as a wireless extender? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

jsw
Feb 2, 2005, 11:30 AM
I just ordered my first Mac! I got a 12" powerbook with superdrive, 756 Ram and 100 Gb HD and it is in the process of being shipped right now. My twin sister also got a powerbook (same model, as you can guess). We were interested in getting an Airport Express Base Station with Airtunes. We already have Lynksys Router in our home set up but with my current computer I rarely pick up the signal and when I do my connection is very weak and my internet is slow. We live with other girls who are most likely not interested in changing our wireless. Is it possible to get an Airport Express Base Station and hook it into the back of our Lynksys Router or better yet, plug it in somewhere else in the house and have it serve as a wireless extender? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.
I don't know if this helps at all, but if you check my post in this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=98846&&p=1148962) thread (the 30th post), I've written detailed instructions on how to use an AirPort Express as a wireless bridge with a Linksys WRT54G. Best of luck - it should work out fine for you!