PDA

View Full Version : Windows to MAC...but which one?

zoe.87
Jan 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hi, I have been a windows user since...ages ago! I now need to get a new laptop as my other Toshiba is slowing down immensely.

On my current laptop I use Microsoft Office, iTunes, Internet Explorer and Sage Accounts. I will continue to use the Toshiba for Sage as I know I will have to buy other software to get it to work on a Macbook Pro. So basicaly I need a new laptop to surf the internet, use iTunes, store pictures and music and use Microsoft Office.

I have been looking at the Macbook Pro 15" and Macbook Pro 13". I know there is a 500 saving to be had but notice the processor is different.

What I need to know is whether I should buy the i5 so that when I eventually transfer Sage across it will be able to cope or whether the Duo Core will be amble for my useage!

Please help as every shop and employee tells me a different story!

Thank you, Zoe :o

MacDawg
Jan 23, 2011, 12:15 PM
Please help as every shop and employee tells me a different story!

Everyone here will probably tell you a different story too! :)

I am not familiar with Sage, so I can't speak to that

I think both processors will suit you fine
I would be more concerned about your needs around screen real estate
If the 13" is enough for you, then go for it

Most prefer the 15" as the sweet spot

Hellhammer
Jan 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
What kind of software Sage is? Only very limited amount of software is CPU intensive and those are often productivity suites for audio, video and photography professionals. 13" MBP should be fine for your needs but if you don't need it right now, you could wait as MBPs should be updated within couple of months.

waynep
Jan 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
I just got a MBP, having been a Windows user. I would suggest the 15 inch screen unless you need it to be very portable. I got the 17 inch and love it. I also would get the 15 inch to get the i5. For your purpose, the processor won't be a huge deal, but the larger screen and i5, I think you would get more life out of it.

zoe.87
Jan 23, 2011, 01:56 PM
hellhammer, when you say the MBP should be updated do you mean processor etc or style?

The 15" screen size seems fine when I tested it in store yesterday but don't want to regret not getting the i5 if the duo core doesnt turn out quick enough. I guess what I want to know is will I notice the difference between the two when using the software that I do.

Sage Accounts is a bookkeeping software which is used all around the world in millions of businesses. On my laptop it takes up a lot of space and over the years has slowed the machine down.

Hellhammer
Jan 23, 2011, 01:59 PM
hellhammer, when you say the MBP should be updated do you mean processor etc or style?

The 15" screen size seems fine when I tested it in store yesterday but don't want to regret not getting the i5 if the duo core doesnt turn out quick enough. I guess what I want to know is will I notice the difference between the two when using the software that I do.

Sage Accounts is a bookkeeping software which is used all around the world in millions of businesses. On my laptop it takes up a lot of space and over the years has slowed the machine down.

Well, nobody knows. Processor will at least be updated but a design change is not impossible.

For your usage, the Core 2 Duo is just fine though, none of the apps you listed is CPU intensive.