Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nimbus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Hello all, I bought a Maxtor 200 GIG HD from Newegg last week. What all do I need to install it? I see on the inside of my G5, under the first HD, the slot for the second. But I don't have another (what seems to be) power and data cable to connect to my second HD, and my second HD didn't come with any. Can someone help me? This is my first time installing a 2nd HD, so I'm new to it. Thanks for listening^^.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
It's my understanding that the PMs are shipped with extra cables for second HDs???

Once you get the cables, go to apple.com/support, they have an illustrated guide to installed a HD

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
First of all, did you buy a SATA HD? The installation was fairly straightforward for me.. one hint. No need to use screws, it just slides right in.

nimbus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
Yeppers, it is a SATA HD. But I don't see any extra cords to attach to the HD. It looks very simple, but I just need the cords. I will have to look again when I get home, but I am sure that I didn't see any extra.

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
nimbus said:
Yeppers, it is a SATA HD. But I don't see any extra cords to attach to the HD. It looks very simple, but I just need the cords. I will have to look again when I get home, but I am sure that I didn't see any extra.
Hi,

The cables are already there, look at the bottom of the bay, there should be two black connectors, and they should line up perfectly with the mating connectors on the drive. Also, on the left side of the drive cage there are 4 black plastic screws. Take them out and screw them into your new drive, one at each corner. The round plastic "heads" ride in the slots in the drive cage. Once the drive is in flip the lever up to lock it in, then connect the cables. By the way, the cables are flat, not round. Let us know how you make out.

Regards,
Marc

nimbus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
THANKS MARC! I found the cords. I confused the cords for something that had to connect to it and the hard drive. I didn't know they came out. I installed it, formatted it, and it's up and running. Thanks so much for all of your help, all. I really appreciate it. :) :p :D :eek: ;) :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.