PDA

View Full Version : what's dying- video card, or monitor?

boynigel
Jan 23, 2011, 05:02 PM
about a week ago, out of the blue, my video monitor went black. i know it had been a while since i blew out any dust so i blue out the inside of my mirror-faced G4 with some canned air. it was dusty, but not gross. anyway, i hooked it back up and it worked.

today it did it again. i thought maybe it was the monitor so i unplugged it from the computer to see if i could get the monitor's own menu to come up on it's own which would tell me that the computer was the problem. the menu wouldn't come up, but "no signal" was flashing on the screen while it was disconnected from the G4.

i did a hard shut down and hooked the monitor back up, and it works again. seems to me it is the computer. should i plan on buying a new video card? i didn't know video cards could die slowly. i'm assuming that's what's happening here. anyone agree? disagree?

chrismacguy
Jan 23, 2011, 05:06 PM
about a week ago, out of the blue, my video monitor went black. i know it had been a while since i blew out any dust so i blue out the inside of my mirror-faced G4 with some canned air. it was dusty, but not gross. anyway, i hooked it back up and it worked.

today it did it again. i thought maybe it was the monitor so i unplugged it from the computer to see if i could get the monitor's own menu to come up on it's own which would tell me that the computer was the problem. the menu wouldn't come up, but "no signal" was flashing on the screen while it was disconnected from the G4.

i did a hard shut down and hooked the monitor back up, and it works again. seems to me it is the computer. should i plan on buying a new video card? i didn't know video cards could die slowly. i'm assuming that's what's happening here. anyone agree? disagree?

Hmm sounds like it could be either the video card or the cable. I doubt its the screen as its displaying the No signal message just fine. Have you tried swapping the cable (if its not the cable then it likely is the video card).

boynigel
Jan 23, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hmm sounds like it could be either the video card or the cable. I doubt its the screen as its displaying the No signal message just fine. Have you tried swapping the cable (if its not the cable then it likely is the video card).

no, i haven't tried the cable as i don't have an extra one. what are the odds though of a cable going bad? if the cable were in an environment where it got moved and/or pulled on a lot, i could see that happening due to a break forming out of the "abuse" but it NEVER moves. certainly not impossible though. maybe i'll see if i have any extra cables at work tomorrow that i can borrow...

chrismacguy
Jan 23, 2011, 05:55 PM
no, i haven't tried the cable as i don't have an extra one. what are the odds though of a cable going bad? if the cable were in an environment where it got moved and/or pulled on a lot, i could see that happening due to a break forming out of the "abuse" but it NEVER moves. certainly not impossible though. maybe i'll see if i have any extra cables at work tomorrow that i can borrow...

Its more that just in case the cable has gone, its the cheapest component to replace (these things happen occasionally, but occasionally enough to check vs the cost of having to replace the graphics card or screen).

MagicBoy
Jan 23, 2011, 06:00 PM
no, i haven't tried the cable as i don't have an extra one. what are the odds though of a cable going bad?

From the perspective of someone that worked on desktop support for a corporate it's not unknown. On an analog cable you tend to lose a single colour first and get a funky tint to the picture. I've only ever seen one duff DVI cable and that just didn't work.

What's the monitor and how is it connected to the PowerMac?

chrismacguy
Jan 23, 2011, 06:08 PM
From the perspective of someone that worked on desktop support for a corporate it's not unknown. On an analog cable you tend to lose a single colour first and get a funky tint to the picture. I've only ever seen one duff DVI cable and that just didn't work.

And if it was the screen it tends to start either not working, or displaying lovely pretty colours.

boynigel
Jan 23, 2011, 07:46 PM

And if it was the screen it tends to start either not working, or displaying lovely pretty colours.

no loss of any colors, or anything funky going on w/the picture. it just suddenly goes black. the monitor itself is just a 17" Samsung about 6 or 7 years old connected with a multi-pin connector. right before the mac it goes into an adapter so that it will fit the G4. this adapter came with the G4. not sure what it is called.

Nameci
Jan 23, 2011, 10:19 PM
What particular G4 do you happen to have?

boynigel
Jan 23, 2011, 11:27 PM
What particular G4 do you happen to have?

it's one of the mirror faced ones from 2003-ish.

Nameci
Jan 24, 2011, 12:21 AM
You might have the MDD's which one of them... but it doesn't matter. Do you happen to know the different video connectors? DVI, VGA, ADC to name a few. These were the common connectors on the graphics card on which the MDD G4's have on them.

boynigel
Jan 24, 2011, 05:47 PM
You might have the MDD's which one of them... but it doesn't matter. Do you happen to know the different video connectors? DVI, VGA, ADC to name a few. These were the common connectors on the graphics card on which the MDD G4's have on them.

it's a VGA

chrismacguy
Jan 24, 2011, 05:52 PM
it's a VGA

Id try replacing the cable, and if that doesnt work id try replacing the graphics card, as VGA cables can fail.

boynigel
Jan 24, 2011, 05:56 PM
Id try replacing the cable, and if that doesnt work id try replacing the graphics card, as VGA cables can fail.

i'll give it a go. thanks.