PDA

View Full Version : Best note taking application?

ny2nctova
Jan 24, 2011, 12:53 AM
What is the best note application, where the user can use a stylus and write out stuff.

Im really looking for a nice app that i can write and take notes, NOT *type*

Bathplug
Jan 24, 2011, 04:19 AM
penultimate

SpaceMagic
Jan 24, 2011, 04:42 AM
Penultimate is very nice:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/penultimate/id354098826?mt=8

ZilogZ80
Jan 24, 2011, 11:57 AM
Penultimate is very nice:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/penultimate/id354098826?mt=8
Another thread here with a few more replies http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11780847

I personally find Penultimate insufficient for real work use due to its lack of a zoom feature. Notes Plus is my note-taker of choice.

Ojitos84
Feb 13, 2011, 01:37 PM
Notes Plus is my new favorite! It is so accurate and has a lot of cool features.

http://www.tapscape.com/take-your-ipad-note-taking-to-the-next-level-with-notes-plus/

ksmith80209
Feb 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
I've been bouncing back & forth between Notes Plus & Note Shelf. and I think Note Shelf is now in my top slot. It's got the fluidity of Penultimate plus the organization of iBooks combined with the zoom mode of Notes Plus.

MirroRobin
Feb 13, 2011, 05:12 PM
I've been bouncing back & forth between Notes Plus & Note Shelf. and I think Note Shelf is now in my top slot. It's got the fluidity of Penultimate plus the organization of iBooks combined with the zoom mode of Notes Plus.
Does Note Shelf's zoom mode also automatically move the zoombox so that you can continue writing? This is a feature I really enjoy from Notes Plus, but other than that I don't really care much for its UI in its current state.

ksmith80209
Feb 13, 2011, 07:18 PM
Does Note Shelf's zoom mode also automatically move the zoombox so that you can continue writing? This is a feature I really enjoy from Notes Plus, but other than that I don't really care much for its UI in its current state.

It doesn't - and I've actually been good with that. Although I really like the idea of Notes Plus automatically moving that zoom area for me, I found that the act of moving to the gray area and lining up with (but allowing enough space) the past writing to be a bit distracting. On Note Shelf, they've placed the "move the box to the right" button in a perfect spot - for me, it's really natural to just hit that button at the end of the line (like a carriage return) and then keep writing.

FubsyGamr
Feb 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 and say that Note Taker HD is, by far, the best note-taking app for me. It works perfectly for taking notes in Math, Science and Engineering classes, and I bet it would be great for business meetings/other classes as well.

John Benitez
Feb 21, 2011, 01:31 AM
IMO, 'Evernote' is one of the most popular note-taking apps which is free and available on a variety of platforms such as (Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc.). Furthermore, it allows you to take notes while recording audio but only for a maximum of 20 minutes.

ksmith80209
Feb 21, 2011, 09:36 AM
IMO, 'Evernote' is one of the most popular note-taking apps which is free and available on a variety of platforms such as (Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc.). Furthermore, it allows you to take notes while recording audio but only for a maximum of 20 minutes.

But he was specifically looking for a "non-typing based" app.

jeffkempster
Feb 21, 2011, 12:15 PM
I have been using Note Taker HD this entire semester and I would be lost if I had to go back to handwritten notes. It is an awesome tool. The interface is a little bland, but it has all the correct tools for easy hand written notes. I am using a stylus which I think is required.

I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 and say that Note Taker HD is, by far, the best note-taking app for me. It works perfectly for taking notes in Math, Science and Engineering classes, and I bet it would be great for business meetings/other classes as well.

EmmEff
Feb 22, 2011, 08:18 AM
I have been using Note Taker HD this entire semester and I would be lost if I had to go back to handwritten notes. It is an awesome tool. The interface is a little bland, but it has all the correct tools for easy hand written notes. I am using a stylus which I think is required.

I find when I'm "printing" (not to a printer, but the motion of drawing letters with my hand) using a stylus, Note Taker HD is a little slow to respond. Do you find the same?

EmmEff
Feb 24, 2011, 07:31 PM
I have Note Taker HD also and like three others. Which stylus are you using with it? I tried the PoGo, Griffin, Dagi, Alu and several others but they all stunk. I'm using the Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand now and I have their New Jersey and both are awesome. No drag at all and I can write faster with their stylus than I can with a paper and pen. They cost a lot but they're worth it. I Googled STYLUS-R-US and it came up. Anyone know which Note Taker is best?

I am using a Pogo but I really don't like it. It's a bit of a disappointment, actually. I find it works fine with SketchBook Pro.

ksmith80209
Feb 24, 2011, 08:16 PM
I find the Boxwave to be the best. Much better than the Pogo which I find to feel a bit cheap.

EmmEff
Feb 24, 2011, 08:32 PM
I find the Boxwave to be the best. Much better than the Pogo which I find to feel a bit cheap.

I didn't know about this brand, but thanks for that. I am going to order one.

kylelong100
Feb 24, 2011, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=ny2nctova;11778903]What is the best note application, where the user can use a stylus and write out stuff.

Im really looking for a nice app that i can write and take notes, NOT *type*[/QUOTE

I have many notetaking apps, and I keep going back to underscore notify. It has most features and I especially like to write on a huge magnified writing area. I have the paper zoomed to the smallest bird's eye zoom available and then just write freely on the magnified area with a stylus. It is only 1.99 us dollars.
Make sure you watch the video tutorial a few times as it is packed with information. You can literally have infinite page size and Move and store much information. It does have minor imperfection such as not easy to title the notebooks but this can be overcome later.