PDA

View Full Version : [UPDATE]Terrorist Attack kills 35 people at Moscow Airport

quagmire
Jan 24, 2011, 10:52 AM
A suicide bomber set off a shrapnel filled explosive in a crowed area in Moscow Airport. The blast killed 35 and injured 152.

The explosion that killed at least 31 people Monday at Moscow's busiest airport appears to be an act of terrorism, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on state TV.
Medvedev ordered additional security at Moscow's other airports and transportation hubs, and Moscow police went on high alert in case of additional bombs.
The explosion occurred about 4:30 p.m. at the entrance of the international arrivals section of Domodedovo Airport, Itar-Tass said, citing a spokeswoman for the Russian Investigative Committee, Tatyana Morozova.

State TV aired video of the smoke-filled terminal, including what appeared to be bodies and luggage on the ground.

Russian state TV, citing Russian authorities, said the explosion was the act of a suicide bomber who stuffed a homemade bomb with small metal objects to make it more deadly, then activated it in a crowded area where many people were preparing for their flights. CNN could not independently verify those claims.
Incoming flights scheduled to land at Domodedovo were being diverted to Moscow's other airports, Sheremetyevo and Vnukovo, Russian TV said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/01/24/russia.airport.explosion/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

yg17
Jan 24, 2011, 10:57 AM
Makes you wonder what the point of bottled water bans, strip search machines and molestations by TSA agents are if all you have to do is strap a bomb to yourself and blow yourself up at the crowded baggage claim.

Peterkro
Jan 24, 2011, 11:01 AM
^^ It wasn't at baggage claim,it was in the arrivals hall,thus not airside.

quagmire
Jan 24, 2011, 11:03 AM

Even baggage claim isn't in an area where you have to go through security.

dinaluvsApple
Jan 24, 2011, 11:04 AM
things are about to get real bad for muslims in that area.

russians and chinese dont play nice when it comes to terrorism.

AP_piano295
Jan 24, 2011, 11:04 AM
Makes you wonder what the point of bottled water bans, strip search machines and molestations by TSA agents are if all you have to do is strap a bomb to yourself and blow yourself up at the crowded baggage claim.

Many people enjoy a false sense of security in places where they feel threatened (like on an airplane). People don't logically access the actual threats in their life. Getting in a car crash, choking on a piece of steak, falling down the stairs, etc. Instead people dwell on the exceptionally unlikely possibility of being killed in a terrorist attack so they welcome the SENSE of security that invasive security checks provide.

yg17
Jan 24, 2011, 11:05 AM

Ah, OK. I'm used to STL where arrivals and baggage claim are almost the same thing since it's not a huge international airport.

The point stands though - if this wasn't airside, how long until you have to go through security just to go to arrivals to pick somebody up at the airport?

AP_piano295
Jan 24, 2011, 11:06 AM

Lord, I hope they don't start invading Arab nations willy nilly :rolleyes:

Peterkro
Jan 24, 2011, 11:12 AM
Even baggage claim isn't in an area where you have to go through security.

Ah, OK. I'm used to STL where arrivals and baggage claim are almost the same thing since it's not a huge international airport.

The point stands though - if this wasn't airside, how long until you have to go through security just to go to arrivals to pick somebody up at the airport?

I may be wrong,although as far as I remember all the international airports I've been to baggage claim is only accessible to passengers and is before customs usually considered airside.

quagmire
Jan 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
I may be wrong,although as far as I remember all the international airports I've been to baggage claim is only accessible to passengers and is before customs usually considered airside.

When I drive to Orlando International Airport and Washington Dulles, I can go to baggage claim without going through security. International passengers have their own separated area that is still airside, but not so for domestic passengers.

With this attack, I bet that will change pretty shortly.

Peterkro
Jan 24, 2011, 11:19 AM
When I drive to Orlando International Airport and Washington Dulles, I can go to baggage claim without going through security.

It appears I am wrong,seems like a rather large security hole.

I picked up someone else's backpack at LAX,it took considerable effort and showing of passport,boarding pass etc to go back and get the right one.

yg17
Jan 24, 2011, 11:22 AM
When I drive to Orlando International Airport and Washington Dulles, I can go to baggage claim without going through security.

Well, I think it depends on international vs domestic. I do remember baggage claim at ORD for international arrivals being in a secure, airside area before customs (and I had to claim and re-check my bag for my connecting domestic flight). I've never flown to ORD as a destination, but I assume domestic baggage claim it elsewhere.

I guess the question is whether this bomb went off at the international or domestic arrivals area. If it's international, then how did he get in there? Did he board a flight with it, or just run to the exit from outside the airport and blow himself up.

leekohler
Jan 24, 2011, 11:25 AM
God, that's awful. Has any group claimed responsibility yet?

quagmire
Jan 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
It appears I am wrong,seems like a rather large security hole.

I picked up someone else's backpack at LAX,it took considerable effort and showing of passport,boarding pass etc to go back and get the right one.

Well, I think it depends on international vs domestic. I do remember baggage claim at ORD for international arrivals being in a secure, airside area before customs (and I had to claim and re-check my bag for my connecting domestic flight). I've never flown to ORD as a destination, but I assume domestic baggage claim it elsewhere.

I guess the question is whether this bomb went off at the international or domestic arrivals area. If it's international, then how did he get in there? Did he board a flight with it, or just run to the exit from outside the airport and blow himself up.

Yeah, international arrivals have their own separated secure area. But, domestic arrivals don't.

I edited my post mentioning that, but too slow for you two. :o

LethalWolfe
Jan 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
In contrast, most of the airports I've been to have baggage claim 'outside' of security. Even if you screen people before they go into baggage claim from the outside what's to stop someone from pulling into the 'pick up' lane just outside of baggage claim and blowing themselves up?

LAX, for example, has like 7 or 8 terminals that are totally stand alone so it's not like they have any choke points to easily add additional security stations (unless you check everyone and their car before they enter the airport.

Lethal

EDIT: International arrivals are usually sealed off but domestic are not.

yg17
Jan 24, 2011, 11:30 AM
In contrast, most of the airports I've been to have baggage claim 'outside' of security. Even if you screen people before they go into baggage claim from the outside what's to stop someone from pulling into the 'pick up' lane just outside of baggage claim and blowing themselves up?

LAX, for example, has like 7 or 8 terminals that are totally stand alone so it's not like they have any choke points to easily add additional security stations (unless you check everyone and their car before they enter the airport.

Lethal

Exactly. You can keep moving the security checkpoint closer to the airport entrance, but as long as you have that bottleneck, you're going to have a large number of people in a small area.

dinaluvsApple
Jan 24, 2011, 11:35 AM

religion of islam.

quagmire
Jan 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
Death toll raised to 35 people killed and 152 injured. Original post has been updated.

justaregularjoe
Jan 24, 2011, 11:39 AM
religion of islam.

Source?
Reason?

arkitect
Jan 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
religion of islam.
Oh, really? So you have some insider information that currently none of the news agencies (or Russian government) have?
Care to share?

While "rebels" may be suspected there has been no confirmation.

Your stuck record is truly grating.

leekohler
Jan 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
religion of islam.

We have no evidence of that as of yet.

justaregularjoe
Jan 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
Oh, good. I was seriously worried there. Now I see that he is just blowing smoke.

arkitect
Jan 24, 2011, 11:46 AM
Oh, good. I was seriously worried there. Now I see that he is just blowing smoke.
He does anything else? :confused:

Dagestan or Chechnya probably is the reason behind the bombing, but for anyone to automatically jump to a gloating conclusion that religion of islam is behind it is just ***** up.

justaregularjoe
Jan 24, 2011, 11:48 AM
He does anything else? :confused:

Haven't lurked long enough to know him. My bad.

freeny
Jan 24, 2011, 12:00 PM
religion of islam.

Ah, I assume they were "Bush haters"...

Gelfin
Jan 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
religion of islam.

Since there is no evidence of this as yet elsewhere, shall we contact the Russian FSB and let them know you're first on the scene with a claim of responsibility?

arkitect
Jan 24, 2011, 12:47 PM
Since there is no evidence of this as yet elsewhere, shall we contact the Russian FSB and let them know you're first on the scene with a claim of responsibility?
But why let facts get in the way of spreading a little more hate and fear?

citizenzen
Jan 24, 2011, 01:24 PM

I assume they hate Russia's freedom.

NickZac
Jan 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't assume anything about people that do these things as IMO they lack even the most basic reasoning, any conscious, and logical thought skills. The attack may not have had a single thing to even do with Russia; it may have just been the easiest place to make a statement.

You hit the nail on the head.
I fear that you may be right.

Macky-Mac
Jan 24, 2011, 02:34 PM
even the Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/24/domodedovo-airport-bombing-moscow) is suggesting islamic rebels

The attack is likely to be blamed on Islamist radicals, and is another grim sign that terrorism has returned to the Russian capital. The Kremlin has repeatedly insisted the situation in Russia's North Caucasus has stabilised after two brutal federal wars against Chechen rebels in 1994-1996 and 1999-2005. The airport bombing and last year's metro attack on the metro suggest this claim is a fairytale.

Across its mountainous southern frontier the Russian state is fighting a group of determined and well-organised insurgents who want to establish a pan-Islamic caliphate. The republics of Ingushetia, Chechnya, and Dagestan – where the insurgents operate – are gripped by civil war, with daily attacks on police and local security forces.

(my bold)

this is another event in a fight that's been underway in Russia for some time

NT1440
Jan 24, 2011, 02:45 PM

Nope. But plenty of people have assigned blame already. Go figure.

NickZac
Jan 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
Nope. But plenty of people have assigned blame already.

Isn't that scary? It scares the hell out of me. Guilty before trial, and guilty until proven innocent...and sometimes still guilty after proven innocent. That is dangerous and surely an attack on personal freedoms and rights.

NT1440
Jan 24, 2011, 02:49 PM
Isn't that scary? It scares the hell out of me. Guilty before trial, and guilty until proven innocent...and sometimes still guilty after proven innocent. That is dangerous and surely an attack on personal freedoms and rights.
Scares the hell out of me too.

kavika411
Jan 24, 2011, 03:05 PM

It is indeed scary. The killings happened and everyone seems to know exactly what the underlying cause is and wastes no time in pointing a finger.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I was replying in the Arizona shooting thread.

NickZac
Jan 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
Scares the hell out of me too.

In my field, we have a saying that relates to this: "One order of tyranny with a double side of oppression, hold the freedom."

Apple OC
Jan 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
First impression I get is Chechen Rebel Terrorism ... most likely not related to Islamic Terrorism.

Unfortunately this is the world we all live in now ... with suicide bombers being the hardest to stop. A very sad situation with 35 innocent killed and over 150 injured and some quite severely hurt.

Eraserhead
Jan 24, 2011, 03:29 PM
First impression I get is Chechen Rebel Terrorism ... most likely not related to Islamic Terrorism.

I believe the Chechen's are muslims.

skunk
Jan 24, 2011, 03:53 PM
I believe the Chechen's are muslims.Brutalised Muslims for the most part.

gkarris
Jan 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
Remote off-site passenger drop-offs and pickups and screening BEFORE entering airport property - problem solved...

:eek:

yg17
Jan 25, 2011, 01:01 PM
Remote off-site passenger drop-offs and pickups and screening BEFORE entering airport property - problem solved...

:eek:

So someone loads up a bomb in the trunk of their car and blows it up while waiting in line with all of the other cars. Problem not solved.