PDA

View Full Version : Airport Reception

topher
Feb 2, 2005, 04:29 PM
I am using an imac dv with an airport card and an actiontec wireless dsl modem. When I first installed the modem, I went through hours of tech. support and troubleshooting because there was no airport reception. Recently, I rearranged my office and the computer and modem are right next to each other. Now, I get an aiport signal. Turns out that there was nothing confgured incorrectly, but that the modem and computer needed to be within about 2 ft. of each other.

Has anyone had similar troubles with a similar setup? I'm wondering if my airport card maybe faulty/poorly installed.

Can anyone vouch for the ability of an actiontec modem to provide better reception with other Macs? I'm wondering if my old imac is just limited.

Can anyone vouch specifically for the reception of the Mac mini. I'm hoping to buy one and use it with the actiontec modem on different floors of a two story house (maybe a 50ft. distance, but obviously, a floor in between).

Thanks all.

diamond geezer
Feb 2, 2005, 06:21 PM
Sounds like the aerial isn't connected properly to the airport card. Open the imac up and check the connection.

Applespider
Feb 2, 2005, 06:47 PM
Agree with Diamond Geezer. It definitely sounds like the antennae is not fully inserted into the card. It takes a lot more pressure than you might think for it to 'click' into place. I had a similar problem with my mother's iBook when I installed her Airport card - fine when right next to router; nothing 10 ft away

topher
Feb 2, 2005, 08:07 PM
Wow guys, I'm replying from my living room (which was essentially the whole point of the question). I can't imagine the mini's reception being any worse than this old goat's. You have answered the only problem that has nagged my computing (excluding windows' daily doses) for over a year.

Mac mini+Airport+BT+wireless keyboard and mouse+My TV= :)