Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Okay so i have been working on my website for a while now. It is almost complete.. need some fixes here and there. Here is my main question?

I am prepared to buy a domain name and a hosting plan. What else do I need to do to get everything up and running and to be sure everything is safe and protected.

Thanks!!

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
It all depends on what type of site it is. If it's an e commerce site or a site that take credit cards then you'll want to make sure you're on a dedicated server that is PCI compliant. If it's just a site that is like a blog/informative site then you can just get a domain and hosted account through someone like GoDaddy.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
It will be a site site that will sell service. Paypal will be the primary payment.

I will be using a membership site software that has secure payments.

CANEHDN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Eagle Mountain, UT
If paypal is the only method of payment, then you don't have to have a PCI compliant site/server. This is only required if you collect/store credit cards. If people are logging in, make sure you get an SSL with your hosting account. I've always liked GoDaddy for basic hosting because they're inexpensive and easily managed when integrating a domain and an SSL. There are a bunch of hosting companies out there but that's my favorite.

Because I needed a PCI compliance site, I went with a dedicated managed server through SingleHop. They're great. I think I pay $300 something a month for the dedicated server and firewall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.