PDA

View Full Version : Poll, How many of you MacOS X users shut down your comps at night or put it to sleep?

sevag1
Sep 5, 2002, 01:43 PM
The reason i ask this is becuase, today i d/led this app called mac janitor.. it teached me a lot actually, and explained how mac os x runs scripts that clean out cache and what not during the time mac os x is idle. It also mentioned that people's systems which are shut down at night aren't able to run these scripts, and that's where mac janitor comes in.. it also mentions that the speed of your system can decrease if these scripts aren't run.

Mr. Anderson
Sep 5, 2002, 01:46 PM
i run folding@home, so they're never sleeping, just the screen dims.

D

sevag1
Sep 5, 2002, 01:47 PM
hmm.. What's folding@home?

dnte42
Sep 5, 2002, 01:49 PM
Ah, I was going to put in the cheap plug for Folding but duke beat me to it. It is a distributed-cmputing program that analyzes how protiens assemble themselves. More info. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=8798) So, yeah, I keep my computer on almost continuosly.

bidge
Sep 5, 2002, 02:02 PM
Never put mine off, maybe add that to the poll. An option for people that don;t turn theirs off.

rainman::|:|
Sep 5, 2002, 05:28 PM
Allright i'm gonna hijack this thread for a bit... I've downloaded folding@home text client, because i understand it's the fastest, but how do i know it's working? top only shows like 5-10% cpu use, and it just sits there. Does it automatically save progress when you interrupt it? ack so many questions! hell, i think im gonna go DL the screensaver :)

pnw

King Cobra
Sep 5, 2002, 05:33 PM
That's possibly the memory doing the work, but don't quote me on it.

I have a habit of turning off my computers, but I also have a habit of keeping my iBook in sleep mode. Most of the time I shut'em'off (in case of sudden T-Storms for the safe unplug), but I'm trying to adopt to putting them to sleep.

Chaszmyr
Sep 5, 2002, 05:48 PM
I NEVER used to shut my mac off.. it would stay on for usually a month at at ime... but now with jaguar it boots so fast i just shut it down all the time.

buffsldr
Sep 5, 2002, 05:59 PM
did not vote because.....
the powermac is up 24/7

but the ibook naps

mc68k
Sep 5, 2002, 06:01 PM
The parents get pissed when the bill goes up, so not unless I'm DL'ing *ahem* backup copies of software.

My main machine doesn't fold anymore.

Sun Baked
Sep 5, 2002, 06:08 PM
Use the password protected screen saver every time I walk away.

If I'm not back soon, it'll go to sleep - or I'll just press the power button and put it to sleep.

Nice to use OS X and always have all the applications you use already open.

buffsldr
Sep 5, 2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Use the password protected screen saver every time I walk away.

If I'm not back soon, it'll go to sleep - or I'll just press the power button and put it to sleep.

Nice to use OS X and always have all the applications you use already open.

not to derail this thread too much, but can any of you comment on your useage of the autmatically open programs feature.

i dont use it, becaues i dont want to slow my boot time, but it seems that many like it? WHo uses (or doesnt) it and why (or why not)?

rainman::|:|
Sep 5, 2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by buffsldr

not to derail this thread too much, but can any of you comment on your useage of the autmatically open programs feature.

i dont use it, becaues i dont want to slow my boot time, but it seems that many like it? WHo uses (or doesnt) it and why (or why not)?

I think the thing it's really good for is true hiding of apps. I've had a couple of 3rd-parties that stuck themselves there, just to keep a process active. And norton keeps trying to weasel its way in... which is only annoying considering i had a demo, and uninstalled it long ago...

Could be good for scripting, like when your server crashes and reboots, a script checks and logs everything...

:)
pnw

sevag1
Sep 5, 2002, 08:08 PM
i like how this thread has evolved into different topics :) .. thnxs for the votes guys

King Cobra
Sep 5, 2002, 08:12 PM
Your best bet for digression is the Community Forums. :D

If you want something to stay on topic, try posting in the Gen. Mac forums, but no guarentees. :p

whfsdude
Sep 5, 2002, 08:39 PM
I run a Carracho tracker and two Carracho servers on my main machine so it never gets shut down, only the screen sleeps.

I just close my iBook when I got to bed :)

Hemingray
Sep 5, 2002, 08:42 PM
I shut down my computer every night, mainly because my old-school G4 doesn't comprehend "deep sleep", so the fan stays on no matter what. Unless it's in the winter, I generally don't like my room to be 5 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. :rolleyes:

mac15
Sep 5, 2002, 08:56 PM
shutdown everynight, no reason I just do

dnte42
Sep 5, 2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Allright i'm gonna hijack this thread for a bit... I've downloaded folding@home text client, because i understand it's the fastest, but how do i know it's working? top only shows like 5-10% cpu use, and it just sits there. Does it automatically save progress when you interrupt it? ack so many questions! hell, i think im gonna go DL the screensaver :)

pnw

Hrm, top always shows it as sucking up all available processor for me, which would make sense. It uses very little memory, almost none if I remember correctly. So long as your log files (located in the user/library/folding@home/work folder) show that steps are being completed, it is working, but it doesn't sound like it is working the way it is supposed to (to me). Oh, and, yeah, the processes are saved when necessary.

evildead
Sep 5, 2002, 10:02 PM
My Mac is almost allways running... I think my longest uptime was something in the ball part of 60 days...

scem0
Sep 5, 2002, 10:13 PM
I never turn my comp off. At night I run a screen saver and thats it.

davidc2182
Sep 5, 2002, 11:16 PM
ok here goes it, I would love to see a hibernate function like winXP has you don't have to leave the computer asleep and eating power but it boots up a hecka lot faster than a normal boot and keeps all things like it was, so sleep but only sleep off !

Hemingray
Sep 5, 2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by davidc2182
ok here goes it, I would love to see a hibernate function like winXP has you don't have to leave the computer asleep and eating power but it boots up a hecka lot faster than a normal boot and keeps all things like it was, so sleep but only sleep off !

You mean like Restore? Yeah, I gotta admit I always liked that. Although when it really boils down to things, what's an extra 20 seconds? ;)

mac15
Sep 6, 2002, 12:33 AM
my old computer was up for 31 days, then I has to install an update, I tried to beat the record but I ended up selling it :(

davidc2182
Sep 6, 2002, 12:33 AM
its nothing really unless you've got a slow computer or get to class late and you're missing notes plus its a battery saver :-D

SilvorX
Sep 6, 2002, 01:08 AM
most macusers i know (from here) prefer sleep....n mac15 shouldve never sold his mac...but at that time he thought he was gonna buy a *cough pc cough* for the money he got lol

mac15
Sep 6, 2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by SilvorX
most macusers i know (from here) prefer sleep....n mac15 shouldve never sold his mac...but at that time he thought he was gonna buy a *cough pc cough* for the money he got lol

please don't tell everyone its painfull enough :D

bousozoku
Sep 6, 2002, 06:01 AM
I have to vote for the folding@home option.

My G3 only shuts down when the power is off--ditto the G4 when the UPS runs out of power.

irmongoose
Sep 6, 2002, 06:53 AM
Shutdown every night. Old habit of mine... too scared to leave it on, but now it's not a pain to wait for the boot, so I don't have any plans to change.

irmongoose

Nipsy
Sep 6, 2002, 07:33 AM
Not I.

Nor any of my clients (including one installation of ~300 OS X Workstations).

Here's why:
The biggest stress on a power supply is turning on and off
The biggest stress on a drive is spinning up
The biggest chance for an electrical failure or short or blown capacitor is when something changes in its environment
OS X (being a pretty window manager on top of UNIX) does its own self maintence late at night (unless you change your crontab). A machine which is powered off does not keep itself properly maintained
Seamless network operations rely on nodes being on, be it for distributed computing (folding), or so that one workaholic can properly access everything he needs at midnight

That said, I highly recommend some sort of power conditioner, and UPS.

dobbin
Sep 6, 2002, 08:30 AM
I don't shut down or sleep my cube. I log out back to the OS X login page and leave it there for the ~22hrs a day that I'm not using it.

Seti@Home screensaver still kicks in while I'm logged out.

When I log in I have Mail and MSN messenger load up automatically as I usually like to check both anyway.

As the cube is almost totally silent its not a problem to leave it on even while I'm sat close to it reading or watching TV or something.

I used to have a PC and I always shut it down or slept it because it made so much noise even when not doing anything!

Robin

drastik
Sep 6, 2002, 08:46 AM
I stick with sleep. The last time my tower rebooted was when I installed Jaguar, which couldn't be avoided. I keep two drives in the tower, and one of them is my big horkin media drive which I use for my half working iTunes sharing work around, soit need to be quickly accessable. I wish I could remotely wake it up, but oh well.

My powerbook gets shut down when I travel, long distances will kill the battery even in sleep. Plus, I use it for DVD a lot on planes, and that drains king hell out of the batteres.