PDA

View Full Version : 'Upgrade' to G5

stuartm
Jan 24, 2011, 02:05 PM
I currently have a G4 1Ghz with additional 120gb hard drive and 4 x 512MBDDR SD ram cards.

It cant now take 10.5 or 6 and is really slow at watching streamed video on iPlayer etc.

Ive been offered a G5 1.8ghz single processor but its hard drive is small and its memory too is a bit lacking. But Im assuming that this will help my iPlayer viewing better than my g4 as it has a slightly faster processor? but is my memory cards and hard drive on my G4 transferable to the G5 so I can add the memory and the HD that I already have?

Any help would be appreciated, would love to go to latest mac models but budget never allows.

chrismacguy
Jan 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
I currently have a G4 1Ghz with additional 120gb hard drive and 4 x 512MBDDR SD ram cards.

It cant now take 10.5 or 6 and is really slow at watching streamed video on iPlayer etc.

Ive been offered a G5 1.8ghz single processor but its hard drive is small and its memory too is a bit lacking. But Im assuming that this will help my iPlayer viewing better than my g4 as it has a slightly faster processor? but is my memory cards and hard drive on my G4 transferable to the G5 so I can add the memory and the HD that I already have?

Any help would be appreciated, would love to go to latest mac models but budget never allows.

If your G4 is a single 1Ghz, youll see a big boost (50% extra speed from the CPU and probably more from the internal speed boost from faster HDs etc) - The G5 cannot take your G4s HDDs unless they are SATA - if you need to transfer data you can use the Optical Drives connection as far as I know (Not sure tho) - luckily SATA drives are quite cheap. Also, I think the RAM may be different (unless its a Mirror Drive Door in which case I think its transferable).

goMac
Jan 24, 2011, 03:42 PM
If it's free, sure. Otherwise you'd be better off trying to get your hands on a used Intel Mac Mini, depending on price.

stuartm
Jan 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. Im in luck it seems as yes its a mirror door and also the HD on my G4 are of the SATA type. transfer of stuff should be okay via my external WD drive,

stuartm
Jan 26, 2011, 05:42 AM
This may seem really obvious but how can I tell if my old G4 is dual or single processor.
Im assuming that if I go to "about mac" and its showing cpu:1 then thats a single processor?

Also does anyone know if the G5 single processor 1.8ghz can take OS 10.5.5?

Cheers

Nameci
Jan 26, 2011, 06:31 AM
Anything above 867MHz can run leopard... yes to answer the question, on 1.8GHz it would run.