Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

texton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Hi all!..

I have had a windows installation running on my macbook pro for a while, but i needed to reinstall a new version of it, so I erased the windows partition using bootcamp ofc.

Now when I tried to make a new partition I got a error saying something like "Bootcamp cant create the partition because it cant move some files"..

Fine.. so I read some forums and found a solution where I should reinstall my OSX using Time Machine... so I did (i took about 12hours)...

Then I tried to create the windows partition again - but this time i just gets stuck at about 50% - the computer freezes and I have to just turn it off.

Now 50GB (the windows partition), is missing on my harddrive and no partitions are made! great!..

Any ideas? :(

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
try booting from the install disc and repairing the HD, that should give you back the missing space, as for the partition/can't move files issue, I had this on my old iMac, something to do with a fragmentation problem. The only fix I found that worked was to wipe and reinstall the OS and restore from a time machine backup, Bootcamp then worked like a charm.

LOLaMac

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
Have you tried defragmenting your hard drive? Usually when that message comes up in Bootcamp, it's because the drive is too fragmented to create enough contiguous space for the partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.