Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
Sw-Box OtterBox Commuter Knock Off

The Otter Box is one of the most popular cases on the market, that is why I am not doing the the 100,000th otter box review. This review is on the sw-box knock off of the otter box commuter. When ordering stuff from companies like sw-box there is no telling what kind of quality your going to get. To my surprise it was pretty good.

PROTECTION
This case offers plenty of protection, the two piece design with the silicone shell and the hard plastic outer shell. The silicone will protect the phone by absorbing the shock and the shell will spread the the shock to the silicone layer. The case has built in port covers for the 30 pin dock connector port and the head phone jack. This case has good lay on table protection and overall is a very protective case. I have a real otter box and I feel that this case is just as protective.

FUNCTIONALITY
This case has all the functionality feature the original otter box has, The port covers keep dust and dirt out of the 30 pin dock connector and headphone jack. The two piece design fits tight and is slim enough to carry in your pockets. The all white model I have doesn't attract lint or show scratches easily, i carry my phone in my pocket only and it still looks brand new. There is a set back with the camera, the the flash does flash over on pictures and cause washout. This knock off case makes the camera flash unusable for picture taking. The buttons on the case are a little but soft but very
responsive.

QUALITY
The quality of the case is pretty good. Other than the camera issue the design and feel of the case is pretty close to the real otter box commuter, the silicone on the sides feels the slightest bit looser than the authentic model. Overall this is a great buy for the price, it was $3.20 on Sw-box. If the flash would work correctly this case would be top notch and practically identical to the real case. If you don't use your flash to take pictures than this case could be a good alternative.

Attachments

• IMG_5059.JPG
    IMG_5059.JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5060.JPG
    IMG_5060.JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5061.JPG
    IMG_5061.JPG
    420.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5063.JPG
    IMG_5063.JPG
    691.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5065.JPG
    IMG_5065.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 91

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Yes it's for iPhone 4 and it's on sw-box.com under silicone cases. There are a few different colors

herruberraschen

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
I hardly ever use my camera so I just ordered the same case. That's a neat little store. Kind of like dealextreme. I got the basic shipping 15-30 days. Which shipping option did you choose and how long did it take?

ChinaAzzi

macrumors regular
I hardly ever use my camera so I just ordered the same case. That's a neat little store. Kind of like dealextreme. I got the basic shipping 15-30 days. Which shipping option did you choose and how long did it take?

You should have selected the Defender knock off. A much better case. All you have to do is change the screen protector to a flush mount screen protector which will only cost you a couple of bucks. Your delivery from SW is not going to happen until after the Chinese New Year which ends early Feb unless they care the product to Hong Kong which still may be open for business. Once it leaves China or Hong Kong you can add on the 15 to 30 days. Regardless buying the look alike is a good move, I've seen them in the electronic market and they are very good and the quality problems are minimal. Let us know when you get it, I am trying to advise some friends and business contacts where they can buy a good case directly from China at a great price. :)

I believe that SW can provide the product because they buy for $1 or so. Also you will get the product you order because they cannot afford to mess up if they want to promote this model of deep discount business. You will see a lot more of it in 2011

Last edited by a moderator:

herruberraschen

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
The site said I had to order before January 28 to beat the Chinese New Year. Plus, I like the all white design so I went ahead and ordered it.

techdude6693

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2010
Irvine, CA
Looks ok, but I don't really trust knockoffs.. Things always go badly for me with knockoffs. Plus no point for me to buy it anyways. I've got 2 real commuters (Black and Blue/White)

ChinaAzzi

macrumors regular
The site said I had to order before January 28 to beat the Chinese New Year. Plus, I like the all white design so I went ahead and ordered it.

If it looks anything like the ones I seen in the Shenzhen electronic market today you won’t be sorry. The quality is getting better and better. I spent a day in he market with my friends and I have a lot of things to report to you but that will be after I have dinner with my girlfriend. For those who don’t know the Shenzhen electronic market there are at least 5 large building filled with a few thousand merchants selling there goods which include Otter Box knock offs among other. Most brands I have heard of have a matching twin in this market. And as you might have picked up for past posts the prices are nothing like what you pay in the USA and my home Australia. I wish I could upload photos because I have a bunch of them. So if you are into getting into the latest trend in the accessory business then get up to spead with my next post.

gugughandi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2011
If it looks anything like the ones I seen in the Shenzhen electronic market today you won’t be sorry. The quality is getting better and better. I spent a day in he market with my friends and I have a lot of things to report to you but that will be after I have dinner with my girlfriend. For those who don’t know the Shenzhen electronic market there are at least 5 large building filled with a few thousand merchants selling there goods which include Otter Box knock offs among other. Most brands I have heard of have a matching twin in this market. And as you might have picked up for past posts the prices are nothing like what you pay in the USA and my home Australia. I wish I could upload photos because I have a bunch of them. So if you are into getting into the latest trend in the accessory business then get up to spead with my next post.

hey is there a way i can pm you, wanted to ask u something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.