PDA

View Full Version : should i buy or wait?

ansabakhan
Jan 25, 2011, 02:54 PM
i just sold my MBP 13 ( itswas not my primary computer) and nowi am thinking of waiting for MBP 13 upgrade or just go with MBA13 2.13, 256GB 4 gb , but them i thought ill ask you pro's here ...

do you guys know around when there will be a MBP 13 refresh , if its just around the corner ill wait and see what upgrades they offer before spending $1800 or Macbook Air

jlblodgett
Jan 25, 2011, 02:58 PM
The 13" Macbook Pro was last updated in April 2010. It is probably nearing the end of its life and a new model will probably be released in the next few months.

Be that as it may - the current model 13" Macbook Pro is still a very capable machine. You might want to take a look at the refurbished models offered from the Apple store.

ansabakhan
Jan 25, 2011, 03:03 PM
The 13" Macbook Pro was last updated in April 2010. It is probably nearing the end of its life and a new model will probably be released in the next few months.

Be that as it may - the current model 13" Macbook Pro is still a very capable machine. You might want to take a look at the refurbished models offered from the Apple store.

at the moment they dont offer i3 or i7 in MBP 13. thats what i ws hoping to see int he next refresh. but i am reallllllllllly tempted to buy MB Air

torbjoern
Jan 25, 2011, 04:08 PM
at the moment they dont offer i3 or i7 in MBP 13. thats what i ws hoping to see int he next refresh. but i am reallllllllllly tempted to buy MB Air

I'm in a similar dilemma and I have chosen to wait. The MBP will be updated no earlier than Feb 20, as this is the official release date of Sandy Bridge. And probably no later than April (and even that is late, 12 months after previous upgrade). I think Apple wants us impatient 13-inch-buyers to see that the current MBP 13" is not really that good value for money and therefore go with the newer MBA 13" (which doesn't even have backlit keyboard!!).

I will wait to buy the next MBP 13" for exactly as long as Apple decides to keep me waiting. If I don't, it will be upgraded a couple of weeks later and with 50 % more bang for the buck.

chrmjenkins
Jan 25, 2011, 04:11 PM
There will be i3/i5 in the next 13" MBP. Apple can longer squeak by on the C2D. The question is whether or not they'll fit some sort of discrete graphics on the logic board.

Still, as another poster mentioned, everything but the i7's are still under Intel NDA, so we'll need a full platform launch before we can expect the update.

topmounter
Jan 25, 2011, 04:22 PM
I'll probably still get a 13" MBA, but I'm trying to wait on the MBP refresh. The only way I'd consider the 13" MBP is if they up the screen resolution and make it significantly less piggish.

And I still don't understand what the issue is with the lack of a back-lit keyboard on the MBA... the keys are in the same place regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

torbjoern
Jan 25, 2011, 04:32 PM
I'll probably still get a 13" MBA, but I'm trying to wait on the MBP refresh. The only way I'd consider the 13" MBP is if they up the screen resolution and make it significantly less piggish.

And I still don't understand what the issue is with the lack of a back-lit keyboard on the MBA... the keys are in the same place regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

It's a beautiful feature, and quite useful for finding function keys in the dark. And even though I have been a habile touch-typist for more than 15 years, I don't want to pay extra for a computer and not have that feature.

topmounter
Jan 25, 2011, 07:57 PM
Interesting, I can't say I ever used it on my MBP.

iExpensive
Jan 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
I was in this same predicament. However, the money I had to spend was a gift. I decided to go with the base line 13" MBA because I could not wait x amount of months for the next pro refresh. I also felt that 2gb would atleast get me by another year if I needed to.

If the new MBP is that much of an improvement that warrants my purchase I will sell the MBA.

The one thing I do know is you shouldn't spend $1800 on the air. It's not worth it and the next revision will most likely be off the c2d and have the option for even more ram.

It's a beautiful feature, and quite useful for finding function keys in the dark. And even though I have been a habile touch-typist for more than 15 years, I don't want to pay extra for a computer and not have that feature.
You feel cheated that your not getting a $10 feature?:eek:
It would've been nice to have but I never see it as a downside.

hcho3
Jan 25, 2011, 08:44 PM

i7 no WAY in next update. i3 is very likely with option to go with i5.

torbjoern
Jan 25, 2011, 08:50 PM
I can accept the lack of Ethernet port. I can accept a weaker processor.

You feel cheated that your not getting a $10 feature?:eek:
That's affirmative. If I were to buy it, it would entail me paying $500 more for the 13" MBA than the 13" MBP keeping storage space (250 GB) and RAM (4 GB) the same for either device. These are the specs for the entry level 13" MBP and the ultimate 13" MBA. I leave out the CPU comparison, just to make sure that I'm being fair to Apple.

Now - five hundred dollars extra, and Apple skimps on a $10 feature to increase their profit margins? What do they take me for???

Undo Redo
Jan 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
It's funny how some features are unimportant to some people and most important to others. I couldn't care less about a back lit keyboard (don't use it) and hate the reflective glass screen of my 13" MacBook Pro. So I'm getting a new 13" Air. Others think the exact opposite and wouldn't buy the Air. :)

torbjoern
Jan 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
It's funny how some features are unimportant to some people and most important to others. I couldn't care less about a back lit keyboard (don't use it) and hate the reflective glass screen of my 13" MacBook Pro. So I'm getting a new 13" Air. Others think the exact opposite and wouldn't buy the Air. :)

Don't get me wrong, mate. Really - I love the extra screen real estate (26.5 % extra) of the MBA plus it's only semi-glossy. It nearly got me to buy it... until I saw that it has no backlit keyboard. Now I don't know what to do. I just hope that the next MBP 13" will get a matte option.

Undo Redo
Jan 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, mate. Really - I love the extra screen real estate (26.5 % extra) of the MBA plus it's only semi-glossy. It nearly got me to buy it... until I saw that it has no backlit keyboard. Now I don't know what to do. I just hope that the next MBP 13" will get a matte option.
...confirming my point exactly. I hope your needs are met.

ansabakhan
Jan 25, 2011, 09:27 PM
The one thing I do know is you shouldn't spend $1800 on the air. It's not worth it and the next revision will most likely be off the c2d and have the option for even more ram.
\

i shouldnt spend $1800 on MBA ? but if i get 256GB and 4GB ram with 2.13 it goes around $2000 ?

INEEDANOTEBOOK
Jan 25, 2011, 09:30 PM
The airs are way too expensive for what they are. I would wait for the new pros to come out before making any move than I would regret, if I were you...

ansabakhan
Jan 25, 2011, 09:34 PM
The airs are way too expensive for what they are. I would wait for the new pros to come out before making any move than I would regret, if I were you...

hummmm... but they pretty much hold there value for resale ... don't they ?

torbjoern
Jan 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
i shouldnt spend $1800 on MBA ? but if i get 256GB and 4GB ram with 2.13 it goes around $2000 ?
256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM? That should be $1799 with MBA and $1999 with MBP. Plus you get faster processor, Ethernet port, FireWire and backlit keyboard with the MBP.

Undo Redo
Jan 25, 2011, 09:39 PM
Today's fully loaded computer is next year's base model. It's always a waste of money, IMO.

torbjoern
Jan 25, 2011, 09:46 PM
Today's fully loaded computer is next year's base model. It's always a waste of money, IMO.

Next year? With :apple: it might happen overnight.

Psilocybin
Jan 25, 2011, 11:25 PM
Got to love all the mbp owners in the MBA section telling everyone to not purchase it and wait

torbjoern
Jan 25, 2011, 11:36 PM
Got to love all the mbp owners in the MBA section telling everyone to not purchase it and wait

Of course the MBP owners will answer to an OP addressing the "pro's".

1) If you want the MBA, then buy it now.
2) If you want the MBP, then wait.
3) If in doubt (MBA vs MBP), then wait.

Psilocybin
Jan 25, 2011, 11:41 PM
Of course the MBP owners will answer to an OP addressing the "pro's".

1) If you want the MBA, then buy it now.
2) If you want the MBP, then wait.
3) If in doubt (MBA vs MBP), then wait.

I totally agree with your points. But both pros and cons should be addressed before pushing him to purchase

ansabakhan
Jan 26, 2011, 08:56 AM
I totally agree with your points. But both pros and cons should be addressed before pushing him to purchase

this might be a stupid question but when do you guys think Macbook Air is due for a refresh?

mattydee87
Jan 26, 2011, 08:59 AM
this might be a stupid question but when do you guys think Macbook Air is due for a refresh?

Not until June at the very earliest, probably later after Lion is released. But who knows

Psilocybin
Jan 26, 2011, 09:53 AM
June?! It was just refreshed it November

topmounter
Jan 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
It would take a pretty major redesign of the 13" MBP to make it more interesting to me than the current 13" MBA...

* more efficient / cooler mobile CPU
* higher resolution screen
* more svelte / less piggy
* lower SSD upgrade price

Those four items would be a start.

jrtaylor6
Jan 26, 2011, 11:22 AM
Buy if you have the money.. Unless you want to wait on a refurbish one. :D

fyrefly
Jan 26, 2011, 12:22 PM
i7 no WAY in next update. i3 is very likely with option to go with i5.

I agree about no i7 (SLIGHT possibility of BTO) in the 13" models, but I would hope Apple wouldn't put the i3's in their either. Unless they really want to kill graphics and include processors that are only slightly faster.

The Arrandale i3's only match the core2Duo's in clock speed (10-15% boost in performance), and have no hyper-threading. I can't see the Sandy Bridge i3's doing much better.

The similarly clocked Arrandale i5's (i5-560M) costs less than the Core2Duo's (P8800) do now: i5-560M = $225.00, P8800 = $241, and one can only assume that the Sandy Bridge i5's at similar clock speeds will slot in at similar price points.

That makes the Sandy Bridge i5's the perfect chips for the 13" MBP refresh sometime in March/April, IMHO.

I disagree about the backlit keyboard, (as I've been a MBA user since it was released, and it's always been a feature of the machine), but I 100% agree about the glass mirror they put on the 13" MBP models.

The MBA screen with higher Res, and less gloss, is nicer.

Therefore, never buy a computer ever? Hah.

The prevailing wisdom seems to be the opposite to what you say:

"Buy only when you NEED it, and buy the best you can afford, and never look back, or you'll always be disappointed" -- seems to be the best advice for computer buying for the general public.

Not for most of us MR folk... we're always buying new machines 6-8 months later, so we just buy whatever, 'cause we sell so quickly the value doesn't drop that much ;)

chrmjenkins
Jan 26, 2011, 12:54 PM
It would take a pretty major redesign of the 13" MBP to make it more interesting to me than the current 13" MBA...

* more efficient / cooler mobile CPU this comes naturally with technology. You don't have to ask for it.
* higher resolution screen Almost a given now that the MBA is using a 1440x900 screen
* more svelte / less piggy Vague. It's already very slim and light for its class.
* lower SSD upgrade price This comes naturally as SSDs become cheaper. Apple is still going to way overcharge and it doesn't make sense as a BTO anyway.

Those four items would be a start.

You aren't really asking for anything that isn't inevitable.

Undo Redo
Jan 26, 2011, 01:10 PM
Therefore, never buy a computer ever? Hah.

"Buy only when you NEED it, and buy the best you can afford, and never look back, or you'll always be disappointed" -- seems to be the best advice for computer buying for the general public.

Not for most of us MR folk... we're always buying new machines 6-8 months later, so we just buy whatever, 'cause we sell so quickly the value doesn't drop that much ;)
I think I was misunderstood. I meant I think buying a computer fully loaded is a waste of money. I much prefer to buy the low end, then sell it and buy the low end again next year. I may not be cutting edge all the time but I always have a relatively new computer.

Other people think it's best to buy fully loaded and keep it for a few years. But there's a giant premium to be paid. To each their own.

ansabakhan
Jan 26, 2011, 01:34 PM

this is soo true !!!! i always felt that, but thanks for bringing this up... all the MBA users .. how long are they really going to own it for before upgrading?

topmounter
Jan 26, 2011, 01:35 PM
You aren't really asking for anything that isn't inevitable.

You would think so, but it seems like they are more interested in positioning the 13" MBP as a budget-minded MBP rather than a smaller and lighter counter-part to the 15" and 17" models.

chrmjenkins
Jan 26, 2011, 01:44 PM
You would think so, but it seems like they are more interested in positioning the 13" MBP as a budget-minded MBP rather than a smaller and lighter counter-part to the 15" and 17" models.

What in the world gives you that impression?

ansabakhan
Jan 26, 2011, 01:45 PM
June?! It was just refreshed it November

so u think June is too early?

chrmjenkins
Jan 26, 2011, 01:51 PM
so u think June is too early?

It will likely be refreshed in March or April because that's when Sandy Bridge will have volume availability.

sebseb81
Jan 26, 2011, 01:55 PM
For either an MBP or MBA, if you can afford to wait a little longer, I would at least wait until either Lion comes out, or Apple says that it will upgrade a new Mac to Lion when it comes out (typically they would say something like a month or two before a new OS comes out, no?). Snow Leopard (a slight update) was only $29, but Lion (possibly a real update) might be priced closer to Leopard, which was like $100 or so?

I have to say that the MBA's screen puts it over the MBP for me. Can't stand the glass/reflectiveness of the MBP. And I would also take the SSD over the faster processor.

Psilocybin
Jan 26, 2011, 01:58 PM
why would they refresh the air in April, that will piss alot of people off who just bought one. That doesn't even make sense refreshing after 5 months, that is an extremely horrible financial plan on Apples part if they do. The macbook airs would be flying off the shelves still at that point

chrmjenkins
Jan 26, 2011, 02:00 PM
We're talking about the 13" MBP, not the MBA. I don't expect a MBA update for another year or so.

C64
Jan 26, 2011, 02:02 PM
It will likely be refreshed in March or April because that's when Sandy Bridge will have volume availability.

They won't refresh a just-refreshed model, just because a new CPU is available. Don't count on a MBA refresh before the fall.

chrmjenkins
Jan 26, 2011, 02:04 PM
They won't refresh a just-refreshed model, just because a new CPU is available. Don't count on a MBA refresh before the fall.

The OP clearly states he's debating buying a current MBA or a newly refreshed 13" MBP.

jumpmanjay23
Jan 26, 2011, 02:06 PM
With the way things are looking I'd see a refresh for Pro line in April (earliest) and a refresh for Air line in (Fall earliest).

C64
Jan 26, 2011, 02:09 PM
The OP clearly states he's debating buying a current MBA or a newly refreshed 13" MBP.
The quote you replied to was about the date the MacBook Air would be refreshed. But yes, the MacBook Pro refresh will most likely be somewhere in the next few months.

chrmjenkins
Jan 26, 2011, 02:11 PM
The quote you replied to was about the date the MacBook Air would be refreshed. But yes, the MacBook Pro refresh will most likely be somewhere in the next few months.

I see it now. The original person who said June did not quote the previous post so I lost the initial remark.

bobr1952
Jan 26, 2011, 02:17 PM

In less than 6 months--that would seem very out of character for Apple.

ansabakhan
Jan 26, 2011, 02:19 PM
with a processor like 2.13 on macbook Air ... would i have a really hard time using Final Cut Studio or other heavy applications ? is it even possible ?

C64
Jan 26, 2011, 03:14 PM
with a processor like 2.13 on macbook Air ... would i have a really hard time using Final Cut Studio or other heavy applications ? is it even possible ?
The "heavy" thing about those applications is usually the exporting of the files. Once they're loaded and you're just moving things around in the application itself, the Air should handle that just fine. Albeit a bit slower than on a Mac Pro quadruple core. But you won't notice much difference from a MBP 13", that's for sure.

Oh, and I just ordered myself a new MBA :D . Tired of waiting and my 4 year old MacBook is now really at the end of its life...

ansabakhan
Jan 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
The "heavy" thing about those applications is usually the exporting of the files. Once they're loaded and you're just moving things around in the application itself, the Air should handle that just fine. Albeit a bit slower than on a Mac Pro quadruple core. But you won't notice much difference from a MBP 13", that's for sure.

Oh, and I just ordered myself a new MBA :D . Tired of waiting and my 4 year old MacBook is now really at the end of its life...

congrats !!!!! where r u ? in USA ... did u get it online .... i am tempted too but now looking at the post on the main page about companies trying to get ride of macbook pro hinting to a refresh is confusing me about deciding about this ...

blow45
Jan 26, 2011, 05:52 PM
buy the air now, it's far better than the 13" mbp not least of all because it's super slim, super light, and doesn't have the horrid glossy glass on top.

C64
Jan 26, 2011, 07:36 PM
congrats !!!!! where r u ? in USA ... did u get it online .... i am tempted too but now looking at the post on the main page about companies trying to get ride of macbook pro hinting to a refresh is confusing me about deciding about this ...
Thanks :) I'm in Europe and ordered it in the online Apple store (13"/1.86GHz/4GB/128GB). I'm hoping for next week, but probably the week after that.

I was considering waiting for the MBP refresh as well for a while now. But my current MacBook is dying on me as I type this, so the need for a new machine is pretty high.

Personally, I don't really use CPU-intensive applications. And if I do, I don't mind waiting a few minutes longer. Most things the C2D can handle just fine, it simply takes longer. I'd love to have a machine with the latest tech, don't get me wrong, but when I look at what I really need, I'm going to see way more benefits from more/faster RAM than I have now, and of course the flash storage. When I'm "stressing" my machine it's by multi-tasking and that's where those things are really useful.

So... even if the MBP comes out tomorrow, the only difference it can make for me is having a faster CPU than the current 13" MBA. I've been working on a C2D 2.0GHz for the last 4 years (albeit an older version, lower cache, etc.), and I hardly ever see it working at full capacity. Only exception: Flash. So.. yes, the CPU is "old", but will I really notice it on a day-by-day basis? Nope.

Furthermore, I really like the portability of the MBA. I've been playing around with them in the store, and they're just crazy thin and light. The 11" almost felt like a cheap toy, until you realize what it actually packs inside. As for what the Air misses compared to the MBP: in the last 4 years I used my SuperDrive 3 times: 1st time to test if it worked after I got it, 2nd time to install Leopard, 3rd time to install Snow Leopard. And since I'm pretty sure we'll see at least the option to buy Lion on a USB stick, I couldn't care less about a SuperDrive. I won't miss the extra ports the MBP has, nor the backlight keyboard (I touch type and find the light really annoying). And the thing that really kept me from buying the 13" MBP for the last year was the glass mirror in front of the screen.

I also considered waiting for the Air to be refreshed, you know.. to get the latest and greatest, but then we're probably talking after the summer, and... that's quite a long wait when I could really use one now. And if, for some reason, it turns out I could really benefit from a faster CPU I'll consider selling this one in the fall or whenever the new Air does come out, and upgrade to the new one then.

Btw, I linked (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1082103) to this review earlier on this forum, which really got me convinced of how capable the current MBA is: Frank Chimero - The Setup (http://blog.frankchimero.com/post/2799470127/the-setup).

ansabakhan
Jan 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
I also considered waiting for the Air to be refreshed, you know.. to get the latest and greatest, but then we're probably talking after the summer, and... that's quite a long wait when I could really use one now. And if, for some reason, it turns out I could really benefit from a faster CPU I'll consider selling this one in the fall or whenever the new Air does come out, and upgrade to the new one then.

Btw, I linked (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1082103) to this review earlier on this forum, which really got me convinced of how capable the current MBA is: Frank Chimero - The Setup (http://blog.frankchimero.com/post/2799470127/the-setup).

as mentioned here earlier ...there wont be a refresh for MBA by another 6-8 months .. i think you did the right this ENJOY !!!

bobr1952
Jan 27, 2011, 11:13 AM
^^
That's my guess as well. ;)

ansabakhan
Jan 27, 2011, 11:40 AM
^^
That's my guess as well. ;)

but there is a upgrade to mbp very soon .. and thats whats keeping me from buying the Air right now ... i wanna see what they offer

Psilocybin
Jan 27, 2011, 12:12 PM
but there is a upgrade to mbp very soon .. and thats whats keeping me from buying the Air right now ... i wanna see what they offer

either way you will be happy! the macbook air is ultra portable for people who carry it around alot and the macbook pro is going to be more bulky. in this case it depends on your life style. Either way i guarantee you happiness i have owned both and the macbook air i enjoy far more due to the size and the firmware allowing for features the macbook pro will most likely not have. Waking from sleep instantly is key for me.

bobr1952
Jan 27, 2011, 12:46 PM
^^
That's right--nice to have a choice. I plan to use my MBA mostly at home but I still want the light weight and simplicity--and it is still a full-feature computer--and mostly likely will replace my iMac for most things.

ansabakhan
Jan 28, 2011, 09:34 AM
either way you will be happy! the macbook air is ultra portable for people who carry it around alot and the macbook pro is going to be more bulky. in this case it depends on your life style. Either way i guarantee you happiness i have owned both and the macbook air i enjoy far more due to the size and the firmware allowing for features the macbook pro will most likely not have. Waking from sleep instantly is key for me.

its that difference just 2 lbs ?

bobr1952
Jan 28, 2011, 11:24 AM
That's why there is a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro--as well as the others in the Apple line--and then there is the PC too--lots of options--and one that will be sure to fit your wants, needs, and desires--you just have to make a choice on what fits the best. :D

ansabakhan
Feb 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
so i am guess right now if we can should hold on the MBA purchase .... as there might be a interesting upgrade soon...

AppleScruff1
Feb 11, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'd wait. I'm still running a 486 because there is always something better just around the corner. :D:D:D

torbjoern
Feb 11, 2011, 10:49 PM
so i am guess right now if we can should hold on the MBA purchase .... as there might be a interesting upgrade soon...
If you don't need it yet, then wait.

turkey1
Feb 11, 2011, 11:13 PM
My 13" MBA base processor 4g ram renders filters in CS5 faster then my unibody macbook. It almost renders instantly, never video edit so can't say how it would handle that. Anyway people are already saying skip SB and wait for the next generation of MBA I say buy now it's a big leap from the last version of the air. Skip the negligible upgrade if it happens in march or june, and wait for the next big leap. I won't buy a new one until it can have more than 4g of ram.

But this one is running everything I can throw at it. Plus you don't buy a MBA for specs there seems to be a widening gap. People ether need a maxed out 8gig monster, or they won't even use the MBA to it's max. Nobody I know can find anything that a 13" MBP can do that a MBA won't.

bobr1952
Feb 12, 2011, 10:49 AM
If you don't need it yet, then wait.

That's really it--just depends on how much you need a new computer. I really want a new Macbook Air but I don't really need it now so I think I'll wait for a bit as it does seem like it could be an interesting update if it does come sooner rather than later. But by all means, if you need a laptop now and are thinking of the Air--buy it. :)