PDA

View Full Version : Where is Doom and Quake ?

Piggie
Jan 25, 2011, 03:11 PM
Doom and Quake seem to be developed to run on almost every platform.

Why is the iPad being totally ignored?

roadbloc
Jan 25, 2011, 03:25 PM
Cuz it's immature. What is the point in developing a game for the iPad 1, when the iPad 2 will only introduce more features that need to been integrated into the apps to reduce poor performance. Like a retina display for example.

Why develop twice when you can wait and develop once when it's much more popular?

Piggie
Jan 25, 2011, 03:30 PM
Cuz it's immature. What is the point in developing a game for the iPad 1, when the iPad 2 will only introduce more features that need to been integrated into the apps to reduce poor performance. Like a retina display for example.

Why develop twice when you can wait and develop once when it's much more popular?

I would of thought Doom and Quake would run perfect on the iPad.

I'm talking about the originals. Playing Doom2 which ran fine on a 66Mhz 486 chip.

roadbloc
Jan 25, 2011, 03:44 PM
I would of thought Doom and Quake would run perfect on the iPad.

I'm talking about the originals. Playing Doom2 which ran fine on a 66Mhz 486 chip.

You didn't understand. The iPad 2 is bound to up the game and secure the standard for Apple's tablets. The iPad 1 is almost like a beta, just to test the water. The water has been tested, and Apple will be going all out on features for the iPad 2, which will require apps to be updated to support them new features (like the retina display).

Why develop twice?

Stirolak123
Jan 25, 2011, 04:41 PM
Analysts have now been saying retina will be for ipad 3 and ipad 2 will be a minor upgrade. Plus ur logic is flawed bexause developers make games below what they could to make sure older device owners can play them. Look at aralon or the recent dead space for example. Te shadows woule have been dynamic if they just made it for ipad and iphone 4.

blackNBUK
Jan 26, 2011, 11:13 AM
roadbloc, I think you don't understand how the move to a retina display is likely to happen. With the iPhone4 retina display existing games worked without being modified. This was possible because they were rendered at the old 3GS resolution and then upscaled. To take advantage of the extra resolution of the display Apps had to rewritten but most of the existing games worked fine and no looked no worse than they did before.

Given that Doom and Quake both have low res textures and graphics by today's standard I don't really see much benefit in a retina display for them. As to why there isn't iPad native versions I think it comes down to id not being interested. There is an iPhone version of Doom which works fairly well on an iPad but I guess id would prefer to push new games (i.e. Rage) instead of porting old games.

Both the Doom and Quake engines have been open sourced so someone else could do the work of porting the engines to the iPad. This is the big factor in why these games have been ported to virtually every platform out there. However the content of the games (levels, models, textures, sounds etc.) has not been opened and cannot be legally distributed by anyone except id. This means that a third party can't put a full Quake game into the App store and I also doubt that Apple would allow an App that asked the user to provide there own data files.

ravenvii
Jan 26, 2011, 03:21 PM
It'd be cool if Id would make Wolfenstein 3D universal, too.