Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr997s

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Hi Guys-
I have the typical DVR attached to my cable and HDTV located downstairs. Is there any way I can use my ATV2 downstairs to stream the saved shows to my upstairs ATV1. I have Cox and their system is not as multi room friendly as others that I have seen. Thanks....

Last edited:

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi Guys-
I have the typical DVR attached to my cable and HDTV located downstairs. Is there any way I can use my ATV2 downstairs to stream the saved shows to my upstairs ATV1. I have Cox and their system is not as multi room friendly as others that I have seen. Thanks....

If Cox' DVR is anything likes Comcast's DVR, the only way to save recorded shows from it is to export it to a VCR. A VCR!!

To do what you want to do, you're going to have to use Elagato EyeTV or something similar to record your shows to your Mac/PC, then import them into iTunes and stream them to your ATVs from there.

Or buy the shows from iTunes (renting only works on ATV2).

Adobe75

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Chicago, IL
Hi Guys-

I wish. Although I think the vision with ATV2 is that you dump your cable/DVR service and rely solely on streaming from iTunes. I know the content isn't there yet (especially sports), but I think that's the direction the industry is going.

I don't have any pay TV service. Get by on antenna for network HDTV, Netflix streaming, some iTunes purchases, and full season downloads through other methods :D.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Hi Guys-

Most of the cable channels will encrypt their signals so you can only watch them using the DVR or capture them through an analog signal while they play (HD or standard definition).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.