Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Hi, just trying to breath a bit of life into an old ibook but youtube is unwatchable and so is all internet video, audio - anything 'media' but it never used to be.

All DVDs, QT videos (divX etc) play just fine but internet video is a real problem. What is going on and how can i sort it?

I've read about going back to an old version of flash - is this the solution?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It's just the flash video kicking the CPU's butt basically. I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done about that, as most sites require at least flash player 9, so going back to an old version isn't really an option.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
If you like watching YouTube, I recommend downloading MacTubes. It's a free application that organizes videos in an iTunes-like interface and will even let you save them to your hard drive. My iMac struggles quite badly on YouTube, but with the application it runs great. If you do download it, make sure you go in the settings menu and change the settings for the videos to run off QuickTime instead of Flash and you'll be set. Hope this helps.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
You probably might as well forget about iplayer. If you downgrade flash to version 8, youtube will magically work (low-res though).

Otherwise, an up-to-date flash version with youtube set to 240p is bearable. I've just been watching some clips now (on my soon-to-be-sold 700mhz imac g4) actually. I have flash version 10.0.22.87 installed, and I made a thread about it earlier.

In the thread I linked to, I mention a 1.25ghz imac - but I have since cloned the hdd to the older 700mhz imac and even on this slow cpu, as I say, youtube at 240p is bearable. Just.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.