PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to get a base 11" MBA! :D

SwedishBassist
Jan 25, 2011, 05:14 PM
So I have almost (therefor this thread) decided to get a base 11". My laptop is broken, and I really don't wanna buy another PC.

I need it sooner than later as I do a LOT of studying with computer for law school (Stockholm).

It will be mostly basic chat/surf/mail/YT/word processing and music streaming through AirTunes I'll be doing.

I do quite a bit of surfing with the comp on my lap, I really want an UL laptop like the Air.

What is making me hesitate is mostly that I might wanna get an MBP when the new rev is out, but I guess the resale value is good on Macs?

Any tips welcome!

Beaverman3001
Jan 25, 2011, 05:21 PM
I couldn't recommend anyone get a machine with 2gb ram, no matter how light of usage you have. For future resale value alone it is worth going for the base + 4gb ram upgrade.

Ronnoco
Jan 25, 2011, 05:22 PM
So I have almost (therefor this thread) decided to get a base 11". My laptop is broken, and I really don't wanna buy another PC.

I need it sooner than later as I do a LOT of studying with computer for law school (Stockholm).

It will be mostly basic chat/surf/mail/YT/word processing and music streaming through AirTunes I'll be doing.

I do quite a bit of surfing with the comp on my lap, I really want an UL laptop like the Air.

What is making me hesitate is mostly that I might wanna get an MBP when the new rev is out, but I guess the resale value is good on Macs?

Any tips welcome!
I was going to get the base 11" but when I realized that I have thumb drives with the same 64GB I opted for the 128 LOL...(got the 4 GB upgrade and the 1.6GHz as well...I figured I'd get as much out of this little guy as I could as I want to hold on to it for a couple of years before I hand it down to my daughter...(she gets all my hand-me-downs LOL)

omegaphil6
Jan 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
nope... LOL

i have the 11" ultimate. only thing this machine is missing is a backlit keyboard

Ronnoco
Jan 25, 2011, 05:24 PM
nope... LOL

i have the 11" ultimate. only thing this machine is missing is a backlit keyboard

Concur...:D

ClassicBean
Jan 25, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have the base 11" Air with just 2GB of ram. If you're surfing, writing in Word, playing music, etc, the 2GB is more than enough.

My Air is a travel laptop and couch surfing gadget, but it feels much faster than my 2.4 Ghz MacBook Pro with 4GB of Ram (which I essentially do the same thing on, albeit more work). I'm guessing the flash storage is the reason for the faster response with the slower processor and lower RAM.

MarximusMG
Jan 25, 2011, 07:06 PM
I just received my base 11.6" MBA in the mail and have been using it for about an hour. Though I don't have tons of usage clocked on this thing already, I can tell you that you will NOT regret getting it.

One of the main reasons I got the base was this:

If you are worried about the 64 GB SSD, don't be. Paying the extra cash for the 128 GB SSD would definitely give you more space. But let's be realistic, even then you're probably going to want an external hard drive anyway for storage. I got myself an iomega Helium external hard drive that matches the MBA and compliments the design wonderfully. The 64 GB is more than enough for the files that I'll need on a day-to-day basis.

And as for the 2 GB RAM, I can't see why anyone would need 4 GB unless they are into hardcore gaming or very intensive programs of that sort. Even with the 2 GB, this thing is blazing fast!

Get the base model. You know you want to. :D

kory108
Jan 25, 2011, 07:27 PM
I have a base model 11" except the 128 GB hard drive. I prefer to have all of my music and photos with me on the computer, and these take up a decent chunk of space. I haven't ran into any issues with the 2GB of ram or the 1.4 GHz processor, and based on your needs doubt you'll have issues.

Compared to a PC, I can't recommend the base 11" more!

Jamie37211
Jan 25, 2011, 07:52 PM
I have the base 11.6 Air, and I have absolutely no regrets. I am not disappointed in anything. 64gb ssd and 2gb RAM is plenty for me, as I do not do anything truly hardcore on it...although, I do run Fireworks CS5, GIMP, text editors etc. for my web design business, and have never had any lag or performance hit in any of these applications.

Now, I do have all my music on a different computer (and my iPad, which I have with me constantly) so that's the reason the 64gb works for me. On that score, your mileage may vary.

ditosou
Jan 25, 2011, 08:10 PM

Any tips welcome!

I have an ultimate MBA 11". I love the portability of the machine and the overall performance. Great choice.

But I also have an older MBP 15".... so if you plan to do a lot of word processing for your homeworks I will think twice if geting the 11" or the 13"...

For my needs (traveling) the MBA 11" is just PERFECT... but for intensive home work (word, excell and intensive docment reading) I think that the 13" screen is more appropriate.

windowpain
Jan 25, 2011, 08:46 PM

If you are worried about the 64 GB SSD, don't be. Paying the extra cash for the 128 GB SSD would definitely give you more space. But let's be realistic, even then you're probably going to want an external hard drive anyway for storage. I got myself an iomega Helium external hard drive that matches the MBA and compliments the design wonderfully. The 64 GB is more than enough for the files that I'll need on a day-to-day basis.

And as for the 2 GB RAM, I can't see why anyone would need 4 GB unless they are into hardcore gaming or very intensive programs of that sort. Even with the 2 GB, this thing is blazing fast!

I got the base model too, for pretty much the same reasons.
128gb isn't going to be enough anyway, so you are going to be needing an external. Just put your day to day stuff on the internal hard drive, and plug in an external when you need it. I haven't noticed any slowdowns due to the 2gb ram, but I'm not running 3 virtual machines or anything like that. 95% of my usage is internet surfing and mail; and the base 11" excels at it. Save the extra 200 dollars or whatever and put it towards and upgrade in 2-3 years.

deedas
Jan 25, 2011, 08:50 PM
Don't buy a base 11" (get 4GB)

But if if you were and you lived in the US I hear buy.com has them for $920 free shipping.

amnost
Jan 25, 2011, 09:03 PM

Any tips welcome!

Get the 11.6 inch MacBook Air!

There you're convinced :apple:

Eclipse278
Jan 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
Another happy base 11.6 2GB ram user here.
Ram is totally not an issue for normal use.

DudeMartin
Jan 25, 2011, 10:13 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a Mac (OS)
It's not very expensive
Recently updated
SSD
Feels very fast

Cons:
Weak processor ... That's about it
No backlit, maybe

Bakari45
Jan 25, 2011, 10:21 PM
I have a base level also, but if it were my only computer, I don't think I would have chosen it. I hardly consider any netbook a workhorse as a lone machine. Plus, if you're doing hours and hours of typing, then you might even find the keys too small. You could buy the netbook and return it within 30 days. I heard that Apple is not charging restocking fee.

jjahshik32
Jan 26, 2011, 12:10 AM
I went to my local microcenter tonight to check out the 11.6" base model mba and while the screen was sweet (looked very vivid with no line issues like before or the glossy wasnt overly done like the 13" mbp), I couldnt help noticing that the 2GB RAM wasnt user upgradable to 4GB.

I know many people can get by with just 2GB but IMHO 4GB will easily be used up as well. In the long run you'll be really happy to get that extra 2GB especially when some of it is already being used up by the integrated nvidia 320m. If its anything like the 13" mbp, going from 2GB ---> 4GB is HUGE in overall performance/snappiness.

I really want a mba but at that price point I might just save up a bit more and just get a 15" mbp. But then again, I'd want the anti glare base model 15" mbp but it'll end up costing 2x more. Decisions, decisions!

Kpjoslee
Jan 26, 2011, 12:17 AM
If you are going to do a lot of heavy word processing, then I don't know if I can recommend 11" MBA...it does put a lot of strain on eyes....I would say go for 13" MBA.

2IS
Jan 26, 2011, 12:50 AM
I just received my base 11.6" MBA in the mail and have been using it for about an hour. Though I don't have tons of usage clocked on this thing already, I can tell you that you will NOT regret getting it.

Lets be realistic and practical. Anyone buying an MBA isn't going to want to carry around an external HDD. You make it seem like the difference between 64 and 128 isn't much when in-fact it is a 100% increase in storage capacity which can easily be the difference between carrying an MBA, and carrying an MBA in addition to a HDD and having to hook it up every time you want information from it. As if that weren't inconvenient enough, if you use your laptop in cramped places like an airplane or a small classroom desk, having a HDD dangling from the side is pretty inconvenient.

SwedishBassist
Jan 26, 2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks for all the great advice, guys. I have been using OS X for 5 years in education, so I'm no stranger to Macs.

The problem with getting a RAM or storage upgrade is that the prices in Sweden are quite a bit higher than the US, a RAM or storage upgrade would mean a price increase of 20-40%.

aneftp
Jan 26, 2011, 07:15 AM
Pay the extra $100 for the extra RAM with the 11.6 model. Either you like it or you don't like it.

It's an expensive but sexy little device. But plan on using it for 2 years max before you out grow it.

SwedishBassist
Jan 26, 2011, 07:21 AM
The thing is; $100 upgrade in the USA means a $300 upgrade in Sweden. I can't justify that with my current financial situation, being a student.

mattydee87
Jan 26, 2011, 07:28 AM
The thing is; $100 upgrade in the USA means a $300 upgrade in Sweden. I can't justify that with my current financial situation, being a student.

Well then, enough said. Just go for the base 11" air. Many people are happy with it and I'm sure you would be too as it should do everything you need without problem.

Doc750
Jan 26, 2011, 07:31 AM
Wait a few months for the new MBP. The air is a cool machine if this were 2009. For about the same price you will get more bang for your buck.

SwedishBassist
Jan 26, 2011, 07:50 AM
I'm going to check my economics tomorrow and see what I will do.

Beaverman3001
Jan 26, 2011, 07:56 AM
If upgrading to 4gb RAM is out of the question then I'd get a 13 MBP, or wait for the MBP refresh and see what they change. Getting the low end pro allows upgradeability, you really have to buy what you fully want with an Air up front.

Eclipse278
Jan 26, 2011, 12:29 PM
Lets be realistic and practical. Anyone buying an MBA isn't going to want to carry around an external HDD. You make it seem like the difference between 64 and 128 isn't much when in-fact it is a 100% increase in storage capacity which can easily be the difference between carrying an MBA, and carrying an MBA in addition to a HDD and having to hook it up every time you want information from it. As if that weren't inconvenient enough, if you use your laptop in cramped places like an airplane or a small classroom desk, having a HDD dangling from the side is pretty inconvenient.

If you need that much hdd space, you probably want a pro instead of an air. Otherwise, a simple flashstick drive can also double your capacity, isn't limited only to the air, and doesn't take up much space.

Now you're thinking with Air [/Glados voice]

SwedishBassist
Jan 26, 2011, 12:32 PM
If you need that much hdd space, you probably want a pro instead of an air. Otherwise, a simple flashstick drive can also double your capacity, isn't limited only to the air, and doesn't take up much space.

The RAM is a lie?

:D

SwedishBassist
Jan 26, 2011, 12:34 PM
TBH though, I will get a time capsule anyhow in the future.

2IS
Jan 26, 2011, 01:11 PM

Why would I want to go with a Pro just because I want more HDD space when I can have more HDD space and a lighter, smaller laptop with the AIR? You're simply not making any sense at all. The HDD IS an inconvenience, no matter how much you try to pretend otherwise. Not to mention it takes up a USB port and is much slower.

fkntotalkaos
Jan 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
Another happy base 11.6 2GB ram user here.
Ram is totally not an issue for normal use.
Does some of the memory/virtual memory come from the SSD which is fast

FrancoRumors
Jan 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
Not sure if you do (have an apple retail store) but since the restocking fees have been removed you can just get it and see if you are happy. This is the best way to find out.

MarximusMG
Jan 26, 2011, 05:52 PM

In the way that you're imagining using it, it wouldn't be very practical. But I have all of my essentials on my MBA for daily use. Anything else that is on the external are things that I'll need maybe once every month (at most). It's not very inconvenient pulling out an external once in a blue moon. And as another user here said, you can use that extra cash towards something else, like when you upgrade, or a very nice case for the MBA.

2IS
Jan 26, 2011, 09:33 PM
In the way that you're imagining using it, it wouldn't be very practical. But I have all of my essentials on my MBA for daily use. Anything else that is on the external are things that I'll need maybe once every month (at most). It's not very inconvenient pulling out an external once in a blue moon. And as another user here said, you can use that extra cash towards something else, like when you upgrade, or a very nice case for the MBA.

You can also spend less than half as much for an Acer and spend the money you save elsewhere too. ;)

Psilocybin
Jan 26, 2011, 09:39 PM
You can also spend less than half as much for an Acer and spend the money you save elsewhere too. ;)

:confused::confused:

MarximusMG
Jan 26, 2011, 10:45 PM

That's crazy talk. Blasphemy. :D

Eclipse278
Jan 27, 2011, 12:31 AM
Why would I want to go with a Pro just because I want more HDD space when I can have more HDD space and a lighter, smaller laptop with the AIR? You're simply not making any sense at all. The HDD IS an inconvenience, no matter how much you try to pretend otherwise. Not to mention it takes up a USB port and is much slower.

do you mean a flashdrive is an inconvenience? Maybe I'd agree, in the same way that having to carry around a key to start my car is not as convenient as a world with keyless cars. But tech has limitations, and if you want the small size of the air then you make a sacrifice in the storage capacity.

I've never transferred enough data through a flashdrive to notice its speed on the air. I don't store much on it though, it mostly just connects to larger file servers. That's kind of the whole point of the air.

Does some of the memory/virtual memory come from the SSD which is fast

I usually have at least 500mb free+inactive memory, and usually more around 1gb. Though I use the air to control servers who do the grunt work instead of it, the SSD and the 320m make the laptop feel very fast. All around a solid laptop.

2IS
Jan 27, 2011, 12:42 AM
do you mean a flashdrive is an inconvenience? Maybe I'd agree, in the same way that having to carry around a key to start my car is not as convenient as a world with keyless cars. But tech has limitations, and if you want the small size of the air then you make a sacrifice in the storage capacity.

Yes it is. Nevermind the fact that you have to plug it in every time you use it, but it can also very easily be forgotten or lost. We're also debating between the 64 and 128GB SSD's both of which are available for the smallest MBA. If you're SURE you won't need more than 64GB, or more accuratly, whatever is left after the OS is installed, then by all means save your money. But if you think you may need more, I think the smart money is on the 128GB drive over external storage options. My personal opinion.

SwedishBassist
Jan 27, 2011, 01:03 AM
So today I am leaning towards waiting for the new MBP...

tom vilsack
Jan 27, 2011, 01:14 AM
yikes did some cal tonight

1-usd = 6.4478-kr
http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter/#from=USD;to=SEK;amt=1

base 11.6 air in sweden = 9.495,00 kr

i would get the base one...that or overthrow your gov ;-)

SwedishBassist
Jan 27, 2011, 01:18 AM
yikes did some cal tonight

1-usd = 6.4478-kr
http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter/#from=USD;to=SEK;amt=1

base 11.6 air in sweden = 9.495,00 kr

i would get the base one...that or overthrow your gov ;-)
Yup, even with the low dollar, it is expensive...

Eclipse278
Jan 27, 2011, 01:52 AM
whatevs. I dont actually use flashdrives. (never put anything on a flashdrive you cant afford to lose) Still over half the hdd free on my base 64gb air.

AnodizedFish
Jan 27, 2011, 02:18 AM
There are quite a few things that I like about the 11.6 inch air over my old MBP.

1. The screen is way less reflective, which means I can set it dimmer and still be able to comfortable see what's on the screen, even in a well-lit room.

2. It is snappy. This is most probably thanks to the geforce 320m and the SSD and despite the fact that I only have 2GB of RAM, everything is still smooth and buttery even when I open several apps and multiple tabs in Safari.

3. It keeps its cool. Unlike my previous MBP, my new Air is cool and so quiet when I use it. I guess its architecture is designed to emit less heat? haha

4. It's so light.

5. The battery's rating says 5 hours, and yet, I've been getting solid 7 hours plus from it.(Thanks to the screen, I could use dim the screen and still get less glares, so that's why I could get more hours out of it)

6. Aluminum bezel means that you don't have to worry that you'll leave fingerprints on your screen.

7. Separate USB ports. Now I can plug 2 fat USB devices at once :D

8. High-res screen. Love the PPI :)

and more....

Ronnoco
Jan 27, 2011, 02:29 AM
I've owned more Mac notebooks than I can count on both hands and this 11" Air is BY FAR the most fun to use of them all...just a joy to take just about anywhere I go...one of the best technology purchases I've ever made...
Apple truly hit this one out of the park IMO...:D:apple:

SwedishBassist
Jan 27, 2011, 03:24 AM
So I am split between decisions here.

One one hand, I really don't use my computer for more than basic stuff, and I want the OS X as I just love working in it.

On the other hand, I might want to use my computer for more stuff in the future, and now that the MBP update is closing in (?) I just dont know what to do...:confused:

jianadmu
Jan 27, 2011, 03:44 AM
My dad's a lawyer and he uses the MacBook Air 11 inch as his main laptop.

Since he needs Office Suite, Mail and Internet, the Air is more than enough.
Document files are relatively small so the 64GB SSD isn't a problem for him.

He's had it for a few months now and he's really (and I mean really) happy with it. :D

Just to give you an idea on how capable the base model is:
it can play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on 1366x768 resolution/High/no anti-aliasing.

Hope this helps you in making your decision:D

SwedishBassist
Jan 27, 2011, 03:49 AM
My dad's a lawyer and he uses the MacBook Air 11 inch as his main laptop.

Since he needs Office Suite, Mail and Internet, the Air is more than enough.
Document files are relatively small so the 64GB SSD isn't a problem for him.

He's had it for a few months now and he's really (and I mean really) happy with it. :D

Just to give you an idea on how capable the base model is:
it can play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on 1366x768 resolution/High/no anti-aliasing.

Hope this helps you in making your decision:D

Thanks!

SwedishBassist
Jan 27, 2011, 04:13 AM
...and thirdly, I know the resale price is great on Macs, so I could probably sell it at a good price if I wanted to upgrade to MBP later on.

firewood
Jan 27, 2011, 10:55 AM
I have both an MBA 11 ultimate and an MBP 13. The MBA is great. I almost never use the MBP any more.

MarximusMG
Jan 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
I have both an MBA 11 ultimate and an MBP 13. The MBA is great. I almost never use the MBP any more.

I haven't even thought of touching my iMac since I've been using my 11.6 MBA! :D

daher1012
Jan 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
Weird, I just made an account on these forums to ask this exact question, my last laptop broke (PC) and I've gotten the insurance money for it, I'm really interested in the base air and i dont do much other than look at powerpoints, type essays and surf the web all while listening to music, I also watch a lot of live sports but dont have anything else open while doing this, would this computer be able to handle all this? Aside from that I work at a computer lab with the new imac and was wondering if i could connect the air to it and use it as a superdrive or would it only substitute as a screen?

KPOM
Jan 27, 2011, 02:50 PM
Yup, even with the low dollar, it is expensive...

That 25% VAT over there is some of the difference, but not all of it.

Ronnoco
Jan 27, 2011, 07:33 PM
I haven't even thought of touching my iMac since I've been using my 11.6 MBA! :D

My poor 15" i5 MBP is very lonely these days...:(

Psilocybin
Jan 27, 2011, 07:44 PM
Since my 13" MBA purchase the mbp makes a great door stop and stool for my daughters. Haha

I even use the MBA hooked up to my monitors

SwedishBassist
Jan 28, 2011, 02:00 AM
That 25% VAT over there is some of the difference, but not all of it.

True. It's mostly a matter of justifying the purchase with the new MBP round the corner.

MultiBat
Jan 28, 2011, 05:44 AM
So I am split between decisions here.

One one hand, I really don't use my computer for more than basic stuff, and I want the OS X as I just love working in it.

On the other hand, I might want to use my computer for more stuff in the future, and now that the MBP update is closing in (?) I just dont know what to do...:confused:

I am tossing and turning between the MBA and waiting for the MBP as well. If I go for the MBA I will get the 13" one. This is because I want the bigger screen. I will then go for the base 128GB SSD version. I will not upgrade to 4GB RAM.
Why?

1. I will never use virtual machines to run Windows.

2. Many in these forums say you should really get 4GB. It's almost a must, they say. I think most people who use the base 2GB are never in these forums. If they were I think a lot more people would say that 2GB is just fine.

3. I am a man. As a man I can only do one thing at a time. Many say that you must have 4GB to be able to run the web browser with 8 tabs, iTunes, iPhoto, Apperture, Pages and this and that at the same time. The only thing I potentially would run at the same time as something else is iTunes, but I use my iPod insted. Those in-ear things blocks the kids yelling out real well. :p

That being said, I will wait and see what the MBP refresh will give the 13" MBP. What I want is a slightly cheaper SSD option. 15275sek for 128GB SSD on the MBP is a bit much. Fix it a thousand sek cheaper and I will take it. Why? I write alot and I like the MBP keyboard a little bit more than the MBA keyboard.

Oh, and I live in same town as you. If you se a nut running back and forth between the MBA and MBP in a Elgiganten store trying the keyboard, there's a good chance it is me. :D

SwedishBassist
Jan 28, 2011, 06:08 AM
Trevligt!

AmyK
Jan 28, 2011, 01:19 PM
I need/want to replace my 14" Dell with a MBA/P...
I really want the 11" air I love the size, small screen are awesome for traveling.

Does anyone have Photoshop on the base 11"?
I have a 27" iMac that I do pretty much all my PS stuff on, but I like to have it with me for quick edits and such when I'm out.

I had talked myself into a MBP until I read this thread... UGH!

SwedishBassist
Feb 25, 2011, 02:29 AM
So after the (to me) underwhelming "update" of the MBP I am now convinced I should've bought the MBA 11" instead of waiting. Now I am stuck with no computer and no money for one...