Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

Well, I currently am saving up for the iPhone 5, hopefully in white, and either the base model MacBook Pro or the base model iMac. I made this thread to ask people for their opinions of which would be best for my situation. Here's my situation: my room is to small to add a desk for an iMac, the MacBook Pro is small considering I use to have a 15" Acer laptop, I have an iPad for mobility, the iMac seems like the better buy, and the MacBook Pro has a glowing Apple logo. I also made this thread for people to share their opinion of each so anything will help me and others. Thanks.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
If you need to move it around, get the MBP. Otherwise iMac. The iMac will be much faster than the MBP too.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
You just said you don't have room for a desk right? Then definitely get the MacBook Pro. You might not even need the extra horsepower in the iMac. I use my 13" MBP for audio production in Pro Tools and it serves me very well. Stable as hell too.

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the help. Let me add some info. I have a iPad which I use so having the iPad makes me think having a MBP would be useless. I would mainly be using the Mac for pages, keynote, numbers, Internet surfing, especially macrumors, YouTube needs to be fast (on my old laptop it took forever for YouTube to load, and also it will be use to complete my apple collection as I am an apple fanboy. Like I said the iMac just seems better but having the advantage of having the MBP anywhere because YouTube on the iPad is slow. I think for me the clear answer is the iMac as it seems like you get more bang for your buck.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I am pretty tight on space as well, but opted for the 13" MBP, it's smooth with YouTube and various other applications despite the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo. I plan on upping the memory to 8GB eventually.

Another point is I also have an iPad and I've found that both have their pros and cons. The iPad's major pro is portability and accessibility. When I need the horsepower for Photoshop or other tasks, my MBP works just fine.

I thought about the iMac over and over again, but I'm happy with my MacBook. It replaced my aging PowerBook G4 and it is one heck of a stable machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.