Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
This issue began when I first installed OS X Leopard, that after partitioning and installing the OS the dock had this graphics issue.

I formatted it twice, applied all the latest updates and even did a combo update install of 10.5.8 from 10.5.1

I haven't been able to find anyone else who's had this issue so thought you's could help :)

I have a Quicksilver 933mHz with 1GB ram and a nVidia GeForce4 MX with 64mb RAM.

Picture1.png

crammedberry

macrumors regular
I think you have the same graphics card as my iMac G4... if you're referring to the odd way the little pop up window looks.. with slightly jagged/out of place rectangles then mine looks that way on leopard too... I use tiger though since it turned out to be faster on my computer... but when I used leopard... it looked just like that... it might have something to do with the graphics card being unable to handle leopard...

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I guess this is side effect of software Core Image handling. All "semi transparent" graphics features in Leo are using CI. GF 4MX doesn't have CI HW support.

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
What graphic issue? You mean the how the dock looks? or the Application folder look that's normal in Leopard.

Yeah I know how the application folder looks, just at the white sections and that semi transparent white square that pervades both the applications grid and dock.

I think you have the same graphics card as my iMac G4... if you're referring to the odd way the little pop up window looks.. with slightly jagged/out of place rectangles then mine looks that way on leopard too...

Damn so looks like its a common issue for older macs, I'm surprised there is little mention of this in the other forums, most people saying Leopard runs great on 867mhz or higher Power Macs. Im guessing there's no fix as of late?

Its just that while I also have Tiger on another partition, its more convenient to run Leopard since my other machines have 10.5.8 or Snow Leopard.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
getting a better graphics card and more ram will, i guess be the only way to solve that

and no not everybody says Leopard runs better on PPC , maybe on G5's with lots of ram , i say since sept 2009 the opposite for me leopard is the equivalent to windows vista , vista runs too on older pc's like leopard runs on PPC's ,but good is something totally different , yes you can live with both if you like eye candy more then performance or if you get forced to :rolleyes:

i even use Tiger on my main partition on my intel core duo iMac , because in my opinion , and because it runs flawless on all my Mac's (14 of them can handle tiger) i say after OS9 OSX Tiger is the best operating system made by apple

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.