Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gjg554

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Does it make sense to upgrade to the 1.67 from the 1.33 Powerbook 17". Getting that speed bump, increased hard drive, scrolling pad, double video memory and faster superdrive. Will I see a considerable difference in speed. Id probably sell it when the G5 comes out, so the additional money it takes once I sell it for the G5 would probably be half as much as if I were selling the 1.33 then.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
usually not. i think it's a lot of hassle just trying to locate a suitable buyer for such a marginal increase in specs.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It's not exactly a marginal increase in specs: that's a 20 percent faster machine. You can probably sell the old one for $1800 or so, so we're talking about a $900 difference. Obviously, it depends on what you use it for.

Is it worth $900 to burn DVDs at twice the speed? Probably not--if you really need the speed, you could buy an external drive for less than that. But for some people, just having a brighter keyboard might be worth it--it would be the difference between a usable and an unusable keyboard. If you're doing a lot of CPU-intensive work, then 20 percent faster could mean almost 20 percent greater productivity. So it depends on the user. Think about how you use the computer, then decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.