PDA

View Full Version : Browser+ HD

david77
Jan 26, 2011, 08:54 AM
I wanted to give out some recognition for this app. I downloaded it last night and have very been impressed with it. This is the first browser that takes complete advantage of the screen space on the iPad and uses swipes in a very clever way. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/browser-hd-the-internet-rethought/id411446170?mt=8

jameszc
Jan 26, 2011, 11:22 AM
Downloaded this the other day, I like the concept. The only thing it seems to be lacking is bookmarks which is the main reason why i cant use it as my browser.

david77
Jan 26, 2011, 12:22 PM
Downloaded this the other day, I like the concept. The only thing it seems to be lacking is bookmarks which is the main reason why i cant use it as my browser.

If you have more than 7 or 8 bookmarks, I get this. But Most Visited and History seem to be enough for me.

Piggie
Jan 26, 2011, 01:07 PM
Just downloaded it, and yes it's great.

But where do I save my favourites?

On some forums, I have 10 saved bookmarks for just the 1 forums so I can jump direct the where I want to go.

I can't find anywhere to save favourites, that's one of the most fundamental needs of any web browser.

jameszc
Jan 26, 2011, 02:25 PM
Just downloaded it, and yes it's great.

But where do I save my favourites?

On some forums, I have 10 saved bookmarks for just the 1 forums so I can jump direct the where I want to go.

I can't find anywhere to save favourites, that's one of the most fundamental needs of any web browser.

Yeah I cant find that favorites menu either, on the app description it says 'to get to your most visited and favorites, pull out the toolbar' but i cant see this option anywhere..

Piggie
Jan 26, 2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah I cant find that favorites menu either, on the app description it says 'to get to your most visited and favorites, pull out the toolbar' but i cant see this option anywhere..

I read that bit also, and tried to pull it out some more.

Yeah, you can a mini history at the bottom you can scroll through which is nice, and you have your six most visted thumbnails about that, which is also nice to show the places you go most often, but where do I save my 30 or 40 favourites?

I find it hard to believe they have not designed anywhere to save your favourites as every web browser ever made has this.

A swipe down from the top of the screen would seem to be an obvious addition

jameszc
Jan 26, 2011, 04:22 PM
A swipe down from the top of the screen would seem to be an obvious addition

I think it would be even more simple if they just put a bookmarks menu in the sidebar.

The app seems to have taken quite a lot of inspiration from this post http://blog.arc90.com/2010/07/27/rethinking-the-ipad-browsing-experience/

If only they would implement the bookmarks feature it would be perfect

SpreadsongColin
Jan 26, 2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for purchasing our app! Just got a pointer at this thread from our support desk.

Bookmarking is definitely, definitely in the works, and going to be in the very next update.

Like someone pointed out, it's easy to have 40 bookmarks. That's also why we didn't include it in the first version- we're going to add a Bookmarks row to the Sidebar, which will be paged, like the Home Screen of the iPad. A bit hard to implement, with all the sliding drawer stuff we have going on, so we decided to see if customers wanted Bookmarks or Tabs more for the first update. Turns out, Bookmarks by a factor of 190 emails ;)

We're also going to add Post to Facebook, and Instapaper 'Read Later', along with a ton of tweaks and bug fixes.

We're aiming to submit to Apple next week, and have this sucker live within two weeks.

Cheers,
-Colin

Piggie
Jan 26, 2011, 04:48 PM
Excellent news.

However, I do feel as you have the swipe onto the screen from the border from both sides and the bottom, perhaps some use of a swipe down might be perhaps considered at some time perhaps?

Unless there is a technical reason why that's not possible.

Oh, and unless I'm missing it, perhaps some on screen swipe (not 20 fingers please, two would do) just to go back/forward. Perhaps swipe left to go back and right to go forward :)

SpreadsongColin
Jan 26, 2011, 05:05 PM
Excellent news.

However, I do feel as you have the swipe onto the screen from the border from both sides and the bottom, perhaps some use of a swipe down might be perhaps considered at some time perhaps?

Unless there is a technical reason why that's not possible.

Oh, and unless I'm missing it, perhaps some on screen swipe (not 20 fingers please, two would do) just to go back/forward. Perhaps swipe left to go back and right to go forward :)

Definitely :) Swipe down is going to be for a Tab Drawer, which will thwunk on down just like the Sidebar thwunks on out.

For gestures, we're thinking three fingers right/left for next/previous, with three fingers up to bring up search. Trick is getting it to 'feel' right, since gestures in other browsers always feel off.

We screwed around with the drawer animation for two weeks before calling it good- I'm 100% expecting the same thing with gestures.

david77
Jan 26, 2011, 05:12 PM
For gestures, we're thinking three fingers right/left for next/previous, with three fingers up to bring up search. Trick is getting it to 'feel' right, since gestures in other browsers always feel off.

Sounds great. The gestures in other browsers don't feel natural at all.