PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme + WD My Passport + Time Machine

dnn.g
Jan 26, 2011, 12:30 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks already for reading this.

About a month ago I woke up with the thought that I might loose all my family pictures if I don't properly backup my data. I currently use only time machine (AEBS + powered HD), but I feel very uncomfortable that this is my only source of backup. To make a very long story short, I'm down to 3 choices:
a.- CrashPlan.com
b.- Backblaze.com
c.- 2 My Passport HDs that I would swap every month or so.

Because of speed and bandwidth, I'm leaning towards option C. But the critical question is that I do not know if that setup would work (WD My Passports are non-powered drives). Anyone has tried it already? Should I go with an online backup?

I'm very sorry if this is a double post, but I have been in Google for an hour and I couldn't find an answer.

Thank you!!

Eclipse278
Jan 26, 2011, 12:53 PM
It's pretty unlikely that two hard drives will fail for mechanical reasons at the same time. Your time machine backups are pretty safe in that aspect.

However, if your residence burns down or something, that could destroy both your computer and the backup, so online backup solutions do a good job of protecting against disasters. I haven't used it, but i hear dropbox gets good reviews.

Btw: i had a hard disk plugged into the airport extreme usb port that failed twice. The same disk works fine everywhere else. I don't trust the airport extreme usb port anymore. I use a nettop mini tower computer loaded with hard drives and powered by freenas.