PDA

View Full Version : WORKING: BBC iPlayer on XBMC (ATV2)

fabian9
Jan 26, 2011, 03:29 PM
Guys,

Just to confirm that the BBC iPlayer addon is working with the latest buildable repo of xbmc for Apple TV 2.

This is huge news for me, and suspect it will be for many other ATV2 users in the UK. I love it!

TV Catchup addon also works but is not playing in the correct aspect ratio.

bareskillz
Jan 27, 2011, 01:41 AM
Guys,

Just to confirm that the BBC iPlayer addon is working with the latest buildable repo of xbmc for Apple TV 2.

This is huge news for me, and suspect it will be for many other ATV2 users in the UK. I love it!

Sweet, I was almost about to sell my ATV on ebay because of its inability to play iPlayer.

I'm from East Grinstead btw!

Grammar51
Jan 27, 2011, 02:31 AM
"XBMC"? !

For a complete numpty, could you explain how you go about streaming from BBC iPlayer to a TV via an ATV2?

Many thanks in advance

OllyW
Jan 27, 2011, 03:06 AM
"XBMC"? !

For a complete numpty, could you explain how you go about streaming from BBC iPlayer to a TV via an ATV2?

Many thanks in advance

This might help (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1083446). :)

You aren't streaming from iPlayer to the ATV2, you run the iPlayer app in XBMC.

tallyho
Jan 27, 2011, 03:21 AM
OK looks like I'm getting an ATV2 then!

How good is the XBMC plugin - can you choose which stream to watch (flashhd (720p), flashvhigh etc)?

fabian9
Jan 27, 2011, 03:34 AM
"XBMC"? !

Many thanks in advance

OK looks like I'm getting an ATV2 then!

How good is the XBMC plugin - can you choose which stream to watch (flashhd (720p), flashvhigh etc)?

the plugin is pretty good, haven't had a chance to test it to death yet, but all streams that I clicked on worked flawlessly (including HD streams). There might be an option to choose between different qualities in the Settings, haven't checked yet. I should say that the iPlayer XBMC addon has been around for a while so it is quite stable - the new bit of functionality is the ability to install XBMC on the Apple TV.

tallyho
Jan 27, 2011, 06:53 AM
I should say that the iPlayer XBMC addon has been around for a while so it is quite stable - the new bit of functionality is the ability to install XBMC on the Apple TV.
Great -- ATV2 now on order.

As a side issue, I'm actually not interested in the rest of the XBMC functionality -- I have all my videos encoded with Handbrake and tagged with Subler to iTunes standards (I've messed around with the likes of Plex, but couldn't get it to scrape non-US metadata. Sounds trivial but I don't want movies rated "R" and so on, because that's just not how we do it in Britain).

With my ATV1 I got this working last year
http://jonathan.tweed.name/2010/02/09/bbc-iplayer-for-apple-tv-an-update/
And it was great, because it took the iPlayer feeds and put them into the native ATV interface. Unfortunately, the guy who did it had to take it down, and then when the BBC implemented SWFverification it stopped streaming anyway.

But that kind of thing is what I'm really hoping for...maybe if/when there's an official app store it might happen...

Didjt
Jan 27, 2011, 08:58 AM
Do I have to jailbreak ATV2 to enable iPlayer?

fabian9
Jan 27, 2011, 09:09 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do I have to jailbreak ATV2 to enable iPlayer?

Yes, you do.

fabian9
Jan 27, 2011, 10:40 AM
There might be an option to choose between different qualities in the Settings, haven't checked yet.

Just checked, you can select the default quality in the settings. :)

The Phazer
Jan 27, 2011, 11:54 AM
With my ATV1 I got this working last year
http://jonathan.tweed.name/2010/02/09/bbc-iplayer-for-apple-tv-an-update/
And it was great, because it took the iPlayer feeds and put them into the native ATV interface. Unfortunately, the guy who did it had to take it down, and then when the BBC implemented SWFverification it stopped streaming anyway.

Whereas this breaks the SWFVerification, which is illegal. I wouldn't buy an Apple TV on the strength of this - the BBC are bound to break it or take legal action against it eventually.

Phazer

fabian9
Jan 27, 2011, 03:28 PM
Whereas this breaks the SWFVerification, which is illegal. I wouldn't buy an Apple TV on the strength of this - the BBC are bound to break it or take legal action against it eventually.

Phazer

The plugin has been available for other platforms for a number of years now without the BBC taking any measures against it.

ashy7
Jan 27, 2011, 04:04 PM
This might be a daft question, where do you get the plugins from? I can't find TVcatchup or iplayer on the list of plugins on XBMC on the AppleTV. Do you have to download the plugins seperately and SSH them on?

tallyho
Jan 27, 2011, 04:08 PM
the BBC are bound to break it or take legal action against it eventually.

Phazer
Well perhaps, but then again a native iOS iplayer app is apparently due very soon for iPad/iPhone so who knows whether someone will be able to get it to run on the ATV2?

chimpy0813
Jan 27, 2011, 04:38 PM
Guys,

fabian9, I've been trying to get the iPlayer to work. I'm running the 10.0 build of XBMC and version 2.3.2 of iPlayer.

What am I missing?

Shoesy
Jan 27, 2011, 05:11 PM

You can change the aspect ratio from the video settings menu during playback (choose 4:3 if it's wrong).

RedTomato
Jan 27, 2011, 05:24 PM
That's great! Do the subtitles work in iPlayer? Could someone check please?

iPlayer on my iPhone has no subtitles, which ruins it for me (I'm deaf), but iPlayer on the iPad has subtitles (I checked it in the Apple store).

Separately, are ITV Player and 4oD also available via XBMC on ATV2? Subtitles for them? (4oD carries subs, iTV Player will do so soon, no idea if subs work on iPad or not)

Thanks!

Ensign Paris
Jan 27, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hehe, I am from East Grinstead too :) ;)

The Phazer
Jan 27, 2011, 06:19 PM
The plugin has been available for other platforms for a number of years now without the BBC taking any measures against it.

Err... apart from all the times they have, such as introducing SWF Verification.

Well perhaps, but then again a native iOS iplayer app is apparently due very soon for iPad/iPhone so who knows whether someone will be able to get it to run on the ATV2?

Well I'd imagine that the app will use a secure client authentication certificate, given the webapp does now, to make sure it goes to the platform it's intended to only. That's the entire basis of the BBC's content protection on iOS. If anyone broke that that would be a very, very big deal.

Phazer

fabian9
Jan 28, 2011, 01:44 AM
This might be a daft question, where do you get the plugins from? I can't find TVcatchup or iplayer on the list of plugins on XBMC on the AppleTV. Do you have to download the plugins seperately and SSH them on?

You download them and SSH them onto your Apple TV.
BBC iPlayer Plugin (http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayerv2/)
TV Catchup Plugin (http://plugins.tvcatchup.com/~xbmc/)

fabian9, I've been trying to get the iPlayer to work. I'm running the 10.0 build of XBMC and version 2.3.2 of iPlayer.

What am I missing?

The latest build hasn't been released yet, but the files are all in the repo. So you have to create your own builds of the repo. Somebody has already done this and made his build available though.

More Info Here (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=92261)

That's great! Do the subtitles work in iPlayer? Could someone check please?

iPlayer on my iPhone has no subtitles, which ruins it for me (I'm deaf), but iPlayer on the iPad has subtitles (I checked it in the Apple store).

Separately, are ITV Player and 4oD also available via XBMC on ATV2? Subtitles for them? (4oD carries subs, iTV Player will do so soon, no idea if subs work on iPad or not)

Thanks!

Not sure about subtitles, maybe somebody else can chip in. Haven't found any 4oD or ITV plugins yet.

Err... apart from all the times they have, such as introducing SWF Verification.

Sorry, that was meant to read legal measures.

ashy7
Jan 28, 2011, 04:07 AM
I don't think there is a 4oD plugin. Most people tend suggest using a Youtube plugin, then accessing the channel4 youtube channel.

Thanks for the heads up for iPlayer. It works really well.

snarf1974
Jan 30, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hi Fabian,

I've just jailbroken my ATV2, and installed XBMC, very impressed so far.

Can you please tell me what I need to type into terminal to SSH BBC iPlayer and TV catchup into XBMC on ATV2? or if anyone else knows, that'd be great.

Would really love to be able to use a web browser like Firefox with ATV2/XBMC, could then stream 4OD, Five On Demand, ITV player, SeeSaw etc.

Also, do you think it's only a matter of time until Boxee for jailbroken ATV2 appears?

Many Thanks
:)

You download them and SSH them onto your Apple TV.
BBC iPlayer Plugin (http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayerv2/)
TV Catchup Plugin (http://plugins.tvcatchup.com/~xbmc/)

The latest build hasn't been released yet, but the files are all in the repo. So you have to create your own builds of the repo. Somebody has already done this and made his build available though.

More Info Here (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=92261)

Not sure about subtitles, maybe somebody else can chip in. Haven't found any 4oD or ITV plugins yet.

Sorry, that was meant to read legal measures.

fabian9
Jan 30, 2011, 01:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I usually do it via cyberduck, not very good with terminal commands! :)

You can get a browser for atv 2 if you use atv flash (black), made by firecore. I've tried using it to get to various video streaming websites though and it doesn't seem to be working.

margotspop
Jan 31, 2011, 11:51 AM
Does the bbc iPlayer only work in the UK? Would it work in the USA?

JeffLebowski41
Jan 31, 2011, 01:28 PM
curious to know if it works in the US as well. I suppose I'll find out for myself later tonight, but if anyone is using it in the US, please post your findings.

Shoesy
Jan 31, 2011, 02:34 PM
Due to the unique way the BBC is funded, iplayer does not work in the UK.

Although we will do a swapsies for HULU.

Failing that try getting yourself a VPN.

margotspop
Jan 31, 2011, 03:34 PM

That's what I suspected. Too bad.

snarf1974
Feb 2, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the tip, I've downloaded cyberduck, but am having problems connecting.

Bonjour in cyberduck has picked up apple tv. What should I use for the username and password?

I've tried the i.p. address of apple tv and 'alpine' as the password. Also tried my itunes username and password, but no luck. I know I'm being stupid here, can you shed any light?

When I've connected via cyberduck, how do I actually install BBC iPlayer?

Many thanks

I usually do it via cyberduck, not very good with terminal commands! :)

You can get a browser for atv 2 if you use atv flash (black), made by firecore. I've tried using it to get to various video streaming websites though and it doesn't seem to be working.

gaijinsan
Feb 3, 2011, 05:41 AM
to log in with cyberduck the username is root and the password is alpine if you haven't changed it

sim667
Feb 3, 2011, 10:28 AM

Yeah a UK VPN should do it....... I could set up a temp account on my VPN if someone from the states wants to try it out.

Im considering getting an Apple TV2 and have been looking at putting XBMC on it, but then I stumbled across plex today, which also has iplayer plug ins...... and quite a few others (not too much of an issue for my as i have virgin media anyway).

But generally speaking do people think plex or XBMC is better? (plex is built on xbmc btw).

Im in redhill (surrey) ;)

fabian9
Feb 3, 2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah a UK VPN should do it....... I could set up a temp account on my VPN if someone from the states wants to try it out.

Im considering getting an Apple TV2 and have been looking at putting XBMC on it, but then I stumbled across plex today, which also has iplayer plug ins...... and quite a few others (not too much of an issue for my as i have virgin media anyway).

But generally speaking do people think plex or XBMC is better? (plex is built on xbmc btw).

Im in redhill (surrey) ;)

Without trying to open a can of worms here (seems to be a difficult topic to discuss), I think XBMC has a lot more functionality than plex at the moment.

Plex requires a media server to run all the time, whereas xbmc does it all on the box. coupled with network attached storage, this means that I don't have to have computer running to watch all the movies on my media drive.

snarf1974
Feb 5, 2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks gaijinsan, have got it working now :-)

I wonder if I will be able to install this version of BBC iPlayer on to ATV2 with XBMC:

http://www.awilco.net/doku/xbmciplayer

to log in with cyberduck the username is root and the password is alpine if you haven't changed it

Shoesy
Feb 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks gaijinsan, have got it working now :-)

I wonder if I will be able to install this version of BBC iPlayer on to ATV2 with XBMC:

http://www.awilco.net/doku/xbmciplayer

Should be fine, although this Firefox plugin for xbmc does rely on the xbmc webserver being enabled which it wont be if you use the official release. Try one of the newer builds from the xbmc forum instead if you are confident with the command line stuff...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=92261

macjono
Feb 12, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi Guys,

I am in desperate need of some help!!

I have been on this mac for about 6 hours or more now trying to get bloody BBC iPlayer on to my Apple TV 2nd Genvia XBMC

I have tried everthing that everyone has suggested but I cant seem to find the folder where I copy the Iplayer add-on into....

I have downloaded the zip file but I just dont know where the folder is on the ATV2 to drop it into to install.... I have the latest build of XMBC as you mention before..

Its really driving me insane and my eyes are killing me!!!:mad::(:eek:

Please could someone (clearly more competant than me!!) give me some instructions on how to do this... I can do bits in terminal but i also have cyberduck which is miles easier...

It took me half a day to bloody jailbreak the damn thing and I only did that so I could put XBMC on it so i could get BBC iPlayer!!! Am i mad!?

Anyways any responses would be greatly received!

Cheers

a very tired Jono from Surrey!

iphone4
Feb 13, 2011, 06:05 AM
Hi Guys,

I am in desperate need of some help!!

I think the best way is to use the add-on repositories. These are the ones compatible with Dharma (XBMC version iOS uses):

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Unofficial_Add-on_Repositories

Hitcher's repository is the one you want for iPlayer (the others largely worked for me).

So download the zip file and put it on ATV2 in /var/mobile.
Go to System->Add-ons->Install from zip file
and select the zip file in the home folder.

Now:
Go to System->Add-ons->Get Add-ons->Hitcher's repository->Video Add-ons->iPlayer and install.

You now have new menu (press right from Videos and choose add-ons).
Works pretty well for me.

And because it's installed through a repo, you get update notifications when available.

curuxu
Feb 25, 2011, 09:25 AM
I installed the BBC iPlayer plugin (XBMC) in my jailbroken ATV2 and it seems to be working as far as I can tell since I'm in the US.

Does anybody know if it is possible to configure a proxy within the app to make it work in the USA?

Is it possible to watch BBC iPlayer through ATV2 in the US? How do people do this? If anybody knows, I'd appreciate detailed instructions.

Colin14
Feb 27, 2011, 05:44 AM
Got this amnd tv catch up working last night! Fantastic.

any other good stuff like this available that works in the Uk?

simonalawton
Nov 9, 2011, 02:38 PM
I think the best way is to use the add-on repositories. These are the ones compatible with Dharma (XBMC version iOS uses):

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Unofficial_Add-on_Repositories

Hitcher's repository is the one you want for iPlayer (the others largely worked for me).

So download the zip file and put it on ATV2 in /var/mobile.
Go to System->Add-ons->Install from zip file
and select the zip file in the home folder.

Now:
Go to System->Add-ons->Get Add-ons->Hitcher's repository->Video Add-ons->iPlayer and install.

You now have new menu (press right from Videos and choose add-ons).
Works pretty well for me.

And because it's installed through a repo, you get update notifications when available.

Hi, I have tried using cyberdog to add the add ons to my ATV2 which has ISO5 on it. However using the username: mobile and password: alpine just says 'connection failed' and the IP address (which is the one my apple tv states in the about section.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

fabian9
Dec 12, 2011, 02:11 PM
The iplayer app that was released for iPhone, and the update for iPad, now natively support video AirPlay.

Love it!

Shoesy
Dec 12, 2011, 04:16 PM

Hello former self- surely you mean 'only works in the UK'

Doh!

ykhehra1
Apr 15, 2012, 12:31 AM
use this site to watch Hulu and BBC iPlayer anywhere in world. I am using it in Canada with no problem.

http://unblock-us.com/2529.html