Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
I know, it's not Windows, but there's no Linux section :eek:

I'm getting a new 1TB HDD for my MBP and decided I'm going to triple boot once more. I had Ubuntu installed on this like a year ago, and that worked fine. However, when I try 10.10, no luck.

I know the CD works, because I can boot/install to my ancient sony laptop, but it's not working on my Macbook. When I try boot in on my Macbook (either by holding alt or through rEFIt), it will start, but it never finishes.

In both rEFIt and when holding alt there are two new options with the disc inserted; a boot option, and a boot EFI option. When I choose the normal boot the animation of the dots lighting up just keeps repeating, and when I choose the other option, it brings me to a menu asking if I want to try Ubuntu or install it. This ends up just getting stuck after a few lines of text (not sure what they say, but if it's important I can go and check). This is nothing like what happens on my other laptop (I get a GUI menu for choosing to try or install, whereas on my Macbook it's text).

Now, I know that I've booted and installed Ubuntu before, but that was an older version (not even sure which one, 8. something). Am I going to have to burn an old version (say 9.04, I've seen that work) to a disc and install, then update, update, and update again?

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
Are you sure you have a legit, non-beta, full-on Ubuntu 10.10 .ISO? You are having really weird problems. Go to the Ubuntu forums and search for mac problems. I done installed Ubuntu perfectly several times.:D You are using refit, that's good, try running a LiveCD and see if there are any bugs. I honestly don't know what to say. You can always try something like Fedora, or OpenSUSE instead of Ubuntu, or if you are an advanced Linux-ite, try Arch, or even the mega-advanced Gentoo,:eek:, ;).

But like was said above, try a VM, familiarize yourself with all the different parts, and a Full-Screen VM sure can be like a true boot.

BTW: If you are into multi-media, try Ubuntu Studio! It is awesome, but a it is a semi-graphical installer.

Last edited:

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
I've grown to dislike VMs, and yes, it's not a beta, I downloaded the .iso a few days ago, and it works as it should on my old laptop.

Just got an installed my 1TB HDD earlier too, working great :D

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Some SuperDrives are finicky. Did you burn it on the Mac or on your older PC?

Can you burn it at 1X on the Mac and see if it's just a bad burn?

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.