PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express with a Linksys WRT54G

rkphoto
Feb 3, 2005, 11:30 AM
Alright, So I just got my new iMac yesterday and the idea I had was to network it with my old iMac in another room using the wireless network on my Linksys router and an Airport Express (the 18 year old @ the Apple store said he thought it would work but that it was not supported by Apple). Basically, I have the new iMac in one room where it is hard wired (Ethernet) to the Linksys router which is hooked up directly to my DSL connection. What I would like to be able to do is use my old iMac (no wi-fi card, but connected to Airport Express via Ethernet) in another room to recieve internet service and possibly to be able to transfer files from the New iMac to the Old iMac. I'm also hoping that using the network in this way will extend the wireless range of the network so that it works throughout my apartment. I've been searching these forums and have come across references to creating a wireless "bridge" using the Airport Express. I think that this is what I want to do but all of the threads mention that I need to upgrade the firmware on the Linksys using the Sveasoft Satori. This is where I'm running into problems. I've downloaded the firmware to my Sony Vaio laptop (that I use to admin the router) and I can't get the file to open properly. The Winzip unstuffer gives me a big window of gobble de guck (coding?). This is why I hate using the laptop, it never works (it's my wife's, I would never willing use a none Apple product). Can I do the admin on the Linksys router using my iMac and the Sveasoft firmware? I've never been able to access router settings using my mac so I assume not.

So, Am I on the right track? Is there an easier way to accomplish what I am trying to do (I tried to "join existing wireless network" using the Airport admin utility, it didn't work)? Is it possible? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Please ask me questions if you need further clarification.

Thanks in advance,
rk

varmit
Feb 3, 2005, 12:33 PM
Alright, So I just got my new iMac yesterday and the idea I had was to network it with my old iMac in another room using the wireless network on my Linksys router and an Airport Express (the 18 year old @ the Apple store said he thought it would work but that it was not supported by Apple). Basically, I have the new iMac in one room where it is hard wired (Ethernet) to the Linksys router which is hooked up directly to my DSL connection. What I would like to be able to do is use my old iMac (no wi-fi card, but connected to Airport Express via Ethernet) in another room to recieve internet service and possibly to be able to transfer files from the New iMac to the Old iMac. I'm also hoping that using the network in this way will extend the wireless range of the network so that it works throughout my apartment. I've been searching these forums and have come across references to creating a wireless "bridge" using the Airport Express. I think that this is what I want to do but all of the threads mention that I need to upgrade the firmware on the Linksys using the Sveasoft Satori. This is where I'm running into problems. I've downloaded the firmware to my Sony Vaio laptop (that I use to admin the router) and I can't get the file to open properly. The Winzip unstuffer gives me a big window of gobble de guck (coding?). This is why I hate using the laptop, it never works (it's my wife's, I would never willing use a none Apple product). Can I do the admin on the Linksys router using my iMac and the Sveasoft firmware? I've never been able to access router settings using my mac so I assume not.

So, Am I on the right track? Is there an easier way to accomplish what I am trying to do (I tried to "join existing wireless network" using the Airport admin utility, it didn't work)? Is it possible? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Please ask me questions if you need further clarification.

Thanks in advance,
rk
http://www.andywismar.com/archives/themiddle/2005/01/11/apple_airport_express_extreme_linksys_wrt54g_wds

Works only with Linksys WRT54G routers.

rkphoto
Feb 3, 2005, 12:59 PM
The link was very useful. My main problem now is how to get the firmware. I've downloaded the Satori firmware but I can't figure out how it works. I've got a file on my desktop called "Firmware_Satori-4_0G.bin" the file icon has "iso" printed across it and when I click on it the only way it will open is with Toast Lite 5.2. I don't know how to get it to install on the router. Any ideas? Is it possible to make this work without the firmware? or is the Sveasoft firmware a nescesity?

Thanks,
rk

plinden
Feb 3, 2005, 04:15 PM
The link was very useful. My main problem now is how to get the firmware. I've downloaded the Satori firmware but I can't figure out how it works. I've got a file on my desktop called "Firmware_Satori-4_0G.bin" the file icon has "iso" printed across it and when I click on it the only way it will open is with Toast Lite 5.2. I don't know how to get it to install on the router. Any ideas? Is it possible to make this work without the firmware? or is the Sveasoft firmware a nescesity?

Thanks,
rk

I don't have that particular router now, but I had a Linksys router a couple of years. If I recall correctly, I updated the firmware on it through the router's own admin interface. You will need to log on to you router from a web browser (use the router's IP address), and search for something like firmware updates. You will be given the option of uploading it from your computer, like any other file upload.

I think you will have to be careful not to switch off either computer or router until the update is complete.

rkphoto
Feb 3, 2005, 04:29 PM
Alright. Finally got it to work. I figured out how to upgrade the firmware using the Linksys admin pages (there is a section in the "administration" menu called "Firmware Upgrade"). Once I did that I followed the steps in the link from earlier in this thread (http://andywismar.com/mt-tb.cgi/1213) and after some more tinkering it started to work. One tip: After going through and reformatting everything in the linksys router I had to unplug the router and replug for it to start working again. Also for some reason my airport express insisted on being set to channel 1. Anyway, thanks for all the help.

rk :)