PDA

View Full Version : DVD burners- Click me!!

extremo
Feb 3, 2005, 01:14 PM
I have a question about dvd burners...

Im think of buying a lacie 16x firewire burner. Ive been doing a lot of dvd editing with idvd 05, and my 1x burner in my powerbook takes about 10hrs. to finish 2 hrs of video. How fast in comparison would the lacie be. Also, what affect does the speed of the dvd media affect it. Right now, im using 4x memorex discs. Thanks!

Norouzi
Feb 3, 2005, 01:30 PM
How fast something burns will depend both on the speed of your recorder, and the speed of the media. The burner can only go as fast as the media allows. But then again the media can only be burned as fast as the burner can go. So a 16x DVD burner will definatily be faster, I can't tell you how much faster as I don't have a DVD burner at all, but it will only be as fast as the media your using.

ChrisFromCanada
Feb 3, 2005, 01:33 PM
The encoding in iDVD will take the same amount of time but if you can find some 16x disks and use the LaCie you the burning itself will be 16x faster.

big
Feb 3, 2005, 03:12 PM
I'm looking at these two from Lacie...
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10548
&
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10186

AWishForNoOne
Feb 3, 2005, 03:41 PM
The encoding in iDVD will take the same amount of time but if you can find some 16x disks and use the LaCie you the burning itself will be 16x faster.

As previously stated, the encoding will take the same amount of time. I have a 16x max burner (specs in my sig) but I usually burn DVD-Rs at 8x since this seems to be the format with the least amount of compatibility issues. Burning a full DVD usually takes me about 5 minutes so 16x would probably be closer to 3. Hope that helps.

big
Feb 3, 2005, 03:56 PM
is that the slim line one you use? It looks great for travel, though I can not tell enough between the two I linked to above which has greater compatability with different DVD's.
Is Double layer the same as DVD+R9?

AWishForNoOne
Feb 3, 2005, 04:15 PM
is that the slim line one you use? It looks great for travel, though I can not tell enough between the two I linked to above which has greater compatability with different DVD's.
Is Double layer the same as DVD+R9?

DVD+R9 is the same as Double-Layer. The differences include the first one being equipped with lightscribe, cabable of burning at 16x, and capable of burning on to double-layer DVDs (Sidenote:Although the technology is used for most new commercial DVDs, it is not utilized very much otherwise. Writable Double-Layers media is expensive and not easy to find.) The second one is more portable but can only burn up to 8x depending on a number of things. I think that the prices between the two are pretty similar if I'm not mistaken so unless you absolutely need to take your burner on the road, the D2 is top of the line and a bigger bang for your buck.

big
Feb 3, 2005, 04:29 PM
cool, know anything about light sribe? ie... Have you seen it, or examples? look decent?

AWishForNoOne
Feb 3, 2005, 06:27 PM
cool, know anything about light sribe? ie... Have you seen it, or examples? look decent?

Lightscribe seems to look pretty cool (http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dec/lightscribe/index_FL.asp) but not worth the extra money and time it takes to do it in my opinion.