Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I'm traveling for the first time with my MBA and it's interesting to see so many travelers, mainly business travelers, hauling out their large PC laptops. Compared to the Air, those computers look like dinosaurs. I don't mean this to sound smug, but as I'm traveling, I realize how practical the 11" Air is for these types of situations. I'm having no problem taking it in out of my travel bag or using it on the plane. The only thing I long for is that it had 3G connection.*

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Not to mention that the 11.6 MBA is on the TSA exempt list (like an iPad and many NetBooks) so if you pack your bag so they can see what it is and nothing else looks suspicious, you don't even have to take it out of your bag for screening.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm traveling for the first time with my MBA and it's interesting to see so many travelers, mainly business travelers, hauling out their large PC laptops. Compared to the Air, those computers look like dinosaurs. I don't mean this to sound smug, but as I'm traveling, I realize how practical the 11" Air is for these types of situations. I'm having no problem taking it in out of my travel bag or using it on the plane. The only thing I long for is that it had 3G connection.*

Couldn't you teather

gb1631

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
PNW Puget Sound
This past week, I've had my first chance to try out my Apple USB/Ethernet converter cable to hook-up to the internet in a hotel using the converter. No problems what-so-ever. ;) :apple:

drxcm

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2010
Couldn't you teather

This is what I'm doing right now - I love how easy it is to tether the 11" to my iPhone - it's brilliant. There is never a situation where I have my laptop but not my phone, so I don't really understand why people want 3G modems on the machine itself - just have to buy another data plan that way.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
This is what I'm doing right now - I love how easy it is to tether the 11" to my iPhone - it's brilliant. There is never a situation where I have my laptop but not my phone, so I don't really understand why people want 3G modems on the machine itself - just have to buy another data plan that way.

But you do have to carry a cord.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
I sometimes wish that my MacBook Air had an internal mobile internet solution.
Currently I have a Motorola Droid X with only data that I use for tethering.
Ultimately I would like to use my iPhone 4 for this but until the new jailbreak comes out I am stuck.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America

Indeed...after using my 11" MBA, even 13" MBP's look like 1980's laptops...:D

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa

Having just travelled with my 11.6" Air, my thoughts reflect yours to the T. I flew some business routes through Chicago-Montreal during the week, where practically everyone travelling is for business. I couldnt believe just how large some of the plastic laptops those guys are carrying around are. The long life batteries are especially huge. I can't imagine how uncomfortable they are to use on your lap or cumbersome in a coach seat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.