PDA

View Full Version : PB screen sometimes yellow after screensaver

brdoco
Feb 3, 2005, 01:36 PM
Over the past few weeks... when I wake my powerbook from the screen saver... the screen has occasionally had a yellowish overlay to the screen. A couple of the times it has happened, moving windows around screen has corrected it. The last few times its happened, I've had to reboot.

My powerbook is a little over two years old. Is this my screen going bad? Anyone else experienced it?

brdoco
Feb 4, 2005, 09:11 AM
more info...

i had my 2nd monitor plugged into my pb last night. screensaver came on, and when i woke it... both my pb screen and the dell monitor were yellowed.

any ideas..?

Bear
Feb 4, 2005, 09:18 AM
Is there any correlation as to how many times the system sleeps after rebooting before it happens? Also, how long after booting before it starts happening in general.

It does not sound like an LCD problem since it happens to the external display as well. It could be a software issue or it could be the video board. I'm leaning towards software due to some of the things I've seen.

You didn't say which version of OS X you're running. May I suggest you upgrade to 10.2.8 or 10.3.7 (depending on whether you're running Jaguar or Panther) if you're not already there. Also, I don't think this will help, but you may as well repair permissions if you haven't done so in a while. (Can't hurt, might help.)

brdoco
Feb 5, 2005, 09:47 AM
Time after boot doesn't seem to have any impact. Its strictly the screensaver. I turn the screensaver off, and it won't happen for days. Turn it back on.. go to the bathroom and come back.. and the screen is yellow.

At first I thought it was just a screen redraw issue with the OS. I was able to drag a window around the screen, and as I did, the screen would redraw correctly.. getting rid of the yellow. that hasn't worked in a while.

Running OSX 10.3.7. I'll try repairing the permissions.. thanks for the tip.

Is there any correlation as to how many times the system sleeps after rebooting before it happens? Also, how long after booting before it starts happening in general.

It does not sound like an LCD problem since it happens to the external display as well. It could be a software issue or it could be the video board. I'm leaning towards software due to some of the things I've seen.

You didn't say which version of OS X you're running. May I suggest you upgrade to 10.2.8 or 10.3.7 (depending on whether you're running Jaguar or Panther) if you're not already there. Also, I don't think this will help, but you may as well repair permissions if you haven't done so in a while. (Can't hurt, might help.)

Bear
Feb 5, 2005, 09:55 AM
Time after boot doesn't seem to have any impact. Its strictly the screensaver. I turn the screensaver off, and it won't happen for days. Turn it back on.. go to the bathroom and come back.. and the screen is yellow.
...Which screensaver? If it's an Apple provided one, try another Apple one. If it's by someone else, try an Apple screensaver and see what happens.

In any case, you should provide feedback to Apple or the third party. Clearly indicate that this never happens when you don't use a screensaver (or use a different screensaver if that's the case). The more relevant information you give them the better. Include the time until screensaver and the energysaver timing for when to put the screen to sleep.

brdoco
Feb 9, 2005, 10:52 AM
I repaired my permissions over the weekend... and it hasn't happened since.

Thanks for the tip!