Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
UK
With the raise in processing power and the fall in power consumption of ARM based chips, I feel that a dual/quad core A5/6 based MBA is on the way!

I really want a MBA but the C2D thing is a bit issue for me! I do not want to buy a Mac with a 5yr old processor.

What do you guys think?

deedas

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2003
Baltimore, Maryland
So you want them to replace a core 2 duo with an ARM design SoC? Forget talking about how powerful they can be, you're wishing for a new cpu architecture supported by Mac OS and a fragmentation of the Mac line up.

Edit: Answer is no, it's not coming. Ever. If anything, Apple will eventually stop making Macs. iOS is their future.

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Why...

Well I'm just curious as to why you would want a mobile chip that isn't even 64 bit to replace the tried and true Core 2 Duo series, that it will do practically everything you throw at it.

What would the ARM architecture do that the C2D wouldn't? We already got 5-7 hours on the Airs and 10 hours on the Macbook Pro 13".

Simply put ARM isn't ready for the desktop/laptop market. Nor will it be for years to come.

Closest Apple got was with the PowerPC RISC architectures, but we saw how that ended up.

So no. To agree with deedas, it will never happen. Not before iOS takes over anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.