Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanomck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
I need help after I installed a new western digital 640gb hard drive into my thirteen inch unibody MacBook. I formatted the drive and everything and then proceeded to back up my old hard drive from my time capsule and after 4 hours everything was working fine and then it said to redraft my computer. After I did this the computer has been stuck on the same grey screen wi an apple logo and spinning cog or wheel. After I let it sit like this overnight it still did not stop this.ni have tried a safe reboot and that didn't work. And I cannot insert the snow leopard cd because it is already in there from the install and i cannot eject it. I still have my old hard drive in case this doesn't work and everything is all backed up. Please help!

iPatrick99

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Westminster, SW1
I had a similar problem...

to eject the disc: try rebooting and immediately holding down the trackpad button until the disc ejects. Or, better still, startup holding down 'C' and before you perform an archive/re-install of Mac OS X... launch Disk Utility and Repair the drive first...

Seanomck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
When I pressed option it gave me The ability to chose Macintosh hd as the hard drive but when I clicked on it it still whent to the grey screen. And when I pressed c it did nothing but I switched back to my old hard drive to eject the snow leopard cd and it worked fine

Seanomck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Final Update

UPDATE: I ended up fixing everything by holding down option while starting up and having the snow leopard cd in and selected that instead of the hard drive. I then re installed snow leopard and reformatted the hard drive and after that i backed up from my time machine. everything works now and instead of 150 gb i now have 640!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.