Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveb99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Hi, this is my first post, I've done lots of research on how to downgrade from 4.2.1, but I can't find any mention of anyone who has downgraded from 4.2.1. to 3.2 (not 3.2.1 or 3.2.2).

Reason for asking is, back when I had 3.2 installed, I jailbroke my iPad and took a local copy of my SHSH blobs.

What I'm looking to do is downgrade from 4.2.1 (non-jailbroken) to 3.2 - can someone give me a simple, step by step guide on how to do this?

I figured I could then upgrade to 3.2.2 which was always a stable platform with, most importantly, Wifi which holds onto its connection!

Any help and advice much appreciated....many thanks.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
I haven't done this myself but if you have SHSH blobs stored only locally then Tiny Umbrella is the answer. Start TU, start server, download 3.2 IPSW and shift/alt Restore in iTunes.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/p/faq.html

If you have SHSH blobs stored via Cydia then it's more simple, edit your HOSTS file to point to the Cydia server and shift/alt Restore as above. Sorry, no guide :)

Edit: ok ok here: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725672-how-using-tiny-umbrella-update-downgrade-restore.html

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Downgrading to 3.2 won't help you upgrade to 3.2.2 -- in order to install 3.2.2 you need to have the SHSH for 3.2.2. If you saved your 3.2 SHSH through Cydia, your iPad will be in their system, and all SHSH for subsequent firmware would have been saved automatically. Download TinyUmbrella, and try retrieving all available SHSH. If you are lucky, you might be able to get the SHSH for 3.2.2.

If you do get the SHSH for 3.2.2, forget 3.2, and just restore straight to 3.2.2.

If not, then you can either downgrade to 3.2 or stay at 4.2.1, but you won't be able to install any other firmware.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Downgrading to 3.2 won't help you upgrade to 3.2.2 -- in order to install 3.2.2 you need to have the SHSH for 3.2.2. If you saved your 3.2 SHSH through Cydia, your iPad will be in their system, and all SHSH for subsequent firmware would have been saved automatically. Download TinyUmbrella, and try retrieving all available SHSH. If you are lucky, you might be able to get the SHSH for 3.2.2.

If you do get the SHSH for 3.2.2, forget 3.2, and just restore straight to 3.2.2.

If not, then you can either downgrade to 3.2 or stay at 4.2.1, but you won't be able to install any other firmware.

Could he not go to 3.2, jb, then store shsh with cydia, then go to 3.2.2?
What I don't get is, what's wrong with 4.2.1? I have it with untethered Monte jb, which works just as good as my 3.x jb.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Could he not go to 3.2, jb, then store shsh with cydia, then go to 3.2.2?

No. SHSHs are issued by Apple. Apple is currently only issuing SHSH for 4.2.1. Going back to 3.2 does not magically make SHSH for 3.2.2 reappear.

What I don't get is, what's wrong with 4.2.1? I have it with untethered Monte jb, which works just as good as my 3.x jb.

I haven't tried the untethered jb for 4.2.1 yet. Last I checked, it still seemed more complicated than the jb for 3.2.x, and is it available for Windows yet?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
No. SHSHs are issued by Apple. Apple is currently only issuing SHSH for 4.2.1. Going back to 3.2 does not magically make SHSH for 3.2.2 reappear.

I haven't tried the untethered jb for 4.2.1 yet. Last I checked, it still seemed more complicated than the jb for 3.2.x, and is it available for Windows yet?

Thanks for clarifying about shsh.
Current untethered jb for 4.2.1 is mac only, it's not complicated though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.