Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yarzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
I am looking to get some thoughts on becoming an Authorized Reseller for Mac. I know a lot of people say don't do it, but I have a small business now supporting PC's and Mac's and my partner and I are strongly thinking about throwing our hat in the reseller game. I want to hear from all people on this but especially someone who has already done this. How was the process? Would you do it again, etc?

Thanks!

yarzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
The money is not really a HUGE deal, but it is a factor for sure. I am more interested in if it works once you are up and running.

MadMacs44

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2004
Western Massachusetts
Going through the same decision here!!!!

I myself am an Apple Authorized Service Provider and have been for about 5 years. I have actually been in business for 7 years, but it took me almost 2 full years to get the AASP designation. Apple really put us through hell to get it. We had to beg and plead with anyone who would listen becuase the closest AASP's to us at the time were some 50 miles away. Which at the time was considered coverage. Anyway...

I myself have been considering doing this for quite some time. Even though I have proven track record and 700+ Clients, that will not exempt me from probably going through the ringer to get a dealership.

I guess I am writing here becuase I am also interetsed in what people will say. I do know, as was mentioned above that Apple does require 100K sales of Just Apple Products as part of thier agreement. I also know that you have to have a good line of credit with either Tech Data or Ingram micro.

Anyway, if you do go for it, maybe you could let us all know how it worked out.

yarzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
I knew we needed to have a 25K credit line, but I did not know we needed it with a certain place. It did not say that on the apple site at all. We have our credit line with a bank, I wonder if that will work.

What do you think?

MadMacs44

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2004
Western Massachusetts
Didnt mean to give wrong info..Yarzy Please read

I am certain the credit line you have with the bank will be very helpful. As for the places I mentioned, they are distribution centers/ i.e. fufilment centers. I dont know what kind of credit you will need with them, but you will need an account with them in good standing.

I used to have a Tech Data account. I let it go when I decided not to get into retail. However, I wish I maintained it becuase now they charge a refundable $100 fee and I guess their application process is supposed to be more involved.

Hope that clears it up:)

AdmittedPCuser

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, Tech Data and Ingram Micro are distributors. They carry a wide range of products and services for VARs (resellers) including Apple products. You still need manufacturer’s authorization before disty will sell to you for certain product lines. For example, you still need Cisco authorization - from Cisco directly - before you can buy Cisco products from disty.

I know both Tech and Ingram have raised their requirements for new resellers in recent years. The problems these guys (disty) face, is that everybody is starting a company to sell computers. Pricing gets too competitive and no one ends up making money....

I worked with a larger reseller for many years purchasing from distribution (and a few direct partners) and would be happy to answer any questions. When I first started I was even the Apple buyer . Unfortunately, we didn't sell a lot Apple.

From what I've heard, Tech Data is better at the small/medium reseller market than Ingram, but I guess it depends on your rep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.