Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdej4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
My son has a new macbook and he is trying to import from his sony handycam (a very old one) to imovies. When we click on import from camera it goes straight to isight and nothing else happens. Do we need additional software or do we need a new camera?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
What does the HandyCam record to? Look on the tape and write exactly what it says. The next question is how are you connecting it to the computer?

wdej4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
He is recording it onto the memory stick duo. Connecting to the laptop with a USB cable. Is that what you mean?

wdej4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
It is a sony DCR-HC30E. I can't see it on the list. Does that mean I need to buy a new camera? Is there any way I can get it to work?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
What format are the files on the card in? You'll need to connect the card via a card reader. The instruction manual should also tell you what format they're recorded in.

This may help. As may this.

Upon further reading, it seems you have a DV camcorder. You need to use FireWire (also called i-Link on Sony camcorders), not USB. You can buy a cable from some place like RadioShack or Best Buy, or order it for super cheap from Monoprice.com. If you recorded videos to the memory card, you may be fairly sunk. You'll have to manually bring them to the computer via a card reader and figure out how to convert them to a format iMovie can recognize. I HIGHLY recommend you go out and buy a few MiniDV cassettes and record video to those from now on. Not only will your video be higher quality, but you'll be able to easily get it into iMovie.

Last edited:

wdej4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks for your help. I have just been out to purchase a firewire and apparently because the macbook is the lastest model, it doesn't use a firewire. Looks like I need to buy a new camera. :(

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Yeah, if you have a FireWire-less Mac, you either need another Mac to import on, figure out how to get it through a PC with FireWire, or get a different camera.

Canon makes some really great AVCHD camcorders. Get something that does HD and you'll be blown away by the quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.